“quirky, charming and very good value”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
S. Howard Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 12 Abingdon B&B and Inns
oxford
“quirky, charming and very good value”
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Abingdon has some great period buildings and riverside loveliness but also a pretty dingy central precinct and a few pint-and-a-fight pubs, so was a little unsure what to expect from the Howard. It turned out to be a gem - very friendly owners and a fabulously quirky old building with twisty-turny corridors and stairs, very sweet little rooms and good breakfast. Shared bathrooms are probably the only the reason the price isn't double.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Bentoboxford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
belfast
Reviewed 15 April 2009

We stayed two nights (twin room and cot/bed for toddler requested). The owners have two properties in this lovely special part of Abingdon on Thames. The best street in town but has limited parking. We arrived to find a really strong smell of paint in our large quirky downstairs room. The 'staff' had gone so we waited for any other person we could talk to... another worker arrived and said nothing has happened recently in this room but once she smelt it she was able to move us to the top floor. Not the handiest with a toddler but a much superior family room (lovely). Really steep stairs and one room has a four foot door ! The house no 30 (ST ethelwoods house) is full of wonderful features some amazing beams and windows. The garden backs on to the river - great for a picnic and feeding ducks. This venue can really help you enjoy the best bits of abingdon. Bus routes handy for oxford, quirky bakery, local produce shop ('local roots' coffee house)
Breakfast was a grand enough affair with linen table cloth in a grand dining room. Light scrambled eggs, good bread, fruit and coffee.
Checking out was tricky again no staff (but it was easter sunday) i had to phone the on call number and leave cash under the office door!
We will be back but careful which room you get! generally a gem

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Abingdon, Oxford
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I have recently relocated to Abingdon from the Midlands due to a change of Job and my initial priority was to find a bed for a few nights, 2 months later I rather regrettably moved into an apartment in the town and moved out of this fantastic B&B.
I moved around within the B&B initially staying in a single room which was comfortable but then realising the rates were not proportionally more expensive given the increase in size stayed in the impressive double rooms and then the self contained flat (all of which had a lockable door with their own key!). The location could not be better, parking is located in a public (and very overlooked public car park around the corner), there are several restaurants within a few minutes walk, 20 minutes on the bus to Oxford and the House has fantastic gardens which back onto the Thames. For the price (or even double the price) the best B&B I can remember staying in and the staff were great!! Would recommend for anyone and everyone.

Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank stephenswinscoe
Sussex
Reviewed 4 December 2008

As a contractor i often stay away from home - i stayed at this B&B several nights a week, every week over a 4 month period and found the service excellent.

The accomodation is fairly basic and in some cases quirky , the buildings are very old and have alot of character, the rooms themselves were clean as was the linen towels etc, etc.
the service was excellent very friendly staff and owners i always felt very welcome.

The accomodation is quiet which suits me and excellent for people working away from home - there are kitchen facilities and plenty of places to eat nearby,.

overall very good value, staying in beautiful old buildings, it certainly has more soul than the usual travelodge!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
North Carolina
Reviewed 1 December 2008

We don't have alot of experiences with B&Bs, but we enjoyed the home feel of Mrs. Howard's home. It's an established location so don't expect any modern high rise hotel. But if you enjoy staying with friends in their home - you will enjoy it here.
We did not take any meals on location due to meeting friends in the local area for breakfast -- there is a great bakery just across the street and several other cafes with in two blocks.
The large room and huge bathroom was nice and most functional. Bedding was very comfortable too.
To cut to the chase:
1) we take our shoes off in our home so was like home for us.
2) we don't travel with valuables - but S. Howard offerred to safe guard anything we needed. We are not ones that lock doors inside our home - but there is a latch on bedroom door if you desired.
3) It's like staying in their home -- WHICH WE LOVED!
4) it was extremely well located -within 1 block of downtown - 3 blocks to coach stop and a number of local attractions.
5) it is affordable and a good value
6) te highest rating I can give -- WE WILL STAY AGAIN when we return.

RW- Cary, North Carolina, USA

• Liked — location and value
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
Reviewed 26 June 2008

I was extremely disappointed with this B&B.

Arrived at the specific time we were told to check in and there was a note on the door informing us to call a number or go to another address. After meeting with the member of staff we were shown our room. Shoes had to be taken off before walking on the carpet!

Rooms were an average size, bathrooms were along the corridor.

During the night I woke to burning sensations down my arms which made me jump out of bed. I soon noticed that I had bumps all down both arms which looked like bites. I was unable to sleep for the rest of that night.

In the morning I went to speak to a member of staff and informed her of the situation. I showed them my arms which my this stage were inflamed and very soar. The lady informed me that she had some cream and thought that I would be happy with that! I explained that I was unable to sleep there and counted about 25 bites down each arm which seemed to be getting more inflamed. I expressed that I felt that I was bitten by something in the pillow as I slept with my arms up on the pillow and the rest of my body was fine.

I was asked "what would you like me to do" and I asked for a refund on the room. The member of staff went to discuss this with the manager. She returned to inform me that they would refund me £5, which I found very insulting. After some negotiation I got £20 off!!! Still an insult. I was than informed that the manager was very angry and would not speak to us direct due to this!

As I was leaving the B&B the member of staff asked her colleague to place the pillow in the sun! I suggested it should be boil washed which they did not seem to comprehend!

I ended up in A&E due to the bites as they gave me an allergic reaction and still have scars 2 weeks later. Would never stay again!

• Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Kav40
guildford
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Some confusion when we arrived as the accommodation is spread out over a number of houses on East St Helen Street. We went to the first one we reached on the way from the public car park (there is no offstreet parking available) and were slightly worried that the woman there had not heard of us. She checked with the owner and it transpired we were due a few doors down.

Upon arrival at the correct house, we were met with the next surprise: shoes off before you go upstairs! OK, not a major inconvenience but somewhat unusual. We were shown to our room, which was huge and entirely wood-panelled. The bathroom was also enormous and well-
appointed. However, it took me a while to realise that the presence of tea/coffee making facilities and a fridge on one side of the bathroom was actually rather disconcerting, and probably contravenes health and safety!

I'm glad we weren't travelling with any valuables, as the room could not be locked from outside - it really is like staying in someone's house. There is a small bolt on the inside, which we decided to use when we went to bed that night.

We were told that breakfast was served between the very specific times of 7:30 and 8:00 and set our alarm accordingly. Then woke to a note that had been pushed under the door asking us if we could come down slightly later, at the very precise time of 7:55.

The owners are very friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was good, so all in all, despite its quirkiness, I have no real complaints. But if you are planning on staying here, this is more like staying at someone's house - there are polite requests to let the owners know immediately if you spill anything on the carpets and to use the downstairs loo at night, as the plumbing is rather noisy. If you're looking for an anonymous place to rest your head for the night, this is probably not the place for you!

• Liked — Spacious accommodation
  • Disliked — No lock on bedroom door
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank sylvworld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Crown & Thistle
Hampton by Hilton Oxford Hotel
Abbey Guest House
Abbey Guest House
#1 of 12 in Abingdon

Been to S. Howard Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!