“Certainly the best in the Cotswolds, one of the best in England”

The King's Head Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Bledington B&B and Inns
brighton
“Certainly the best in the Cotswolds, one of the best in England”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Hello, I've travelled over the last 30 years to many inns in the UK, once spending almost a year going from county to county. To be honest, I never really bother with writing reviews. I normally just speak or write to the landlord if I've found somewhere exceptional. However, I was a paying guest at somewhere over the weekend which encapsulated everything you could wish for in an inn. The Kings Head in Bledington (near Burford and Stow on the Wold) is in the centre of a picturesque Cotswold village and has a brook running outside it. It has not only maintained the authentic 16th century rustic charm and atmosphere throughout but has combined it with sensational cooking (which was seasonal and locally sourced, love that), an unexpectedly wide variety of wines from around the world and an attention to detail which separates it from other inns I've stayed in. The owners obviously are passionate about the place. There are freshly cut flowers, newspapers everywhere for convenience and even muslin cutting across the ceiling of the breakfast room. There are family heirlooms scattered about, but all the modern essentials are there, free wifi being one. From the bedrooms and bathrooms to the oaky bar and restaurant you get a sense that the owners have put their guest's experiences above any other criteria. And this is why I have written this review. I have an award from the Institute of Customer Service, so I look for places that go the extra mile in terms of customer care, places when you've checked out you feel like had a great deal and instantly want to go back. This was one. Another observation was how friendly the locals were and how full the place seemed to be, although I never once felt it was overcrowded. This added to the experience. I banged my head twice going up to my room as the doorways were built for the 16th men and women, so watch out if you're tall or mildly inebriated. I had a large bathroom which was also a surprise, oak beams in there and the bedroom, and a terrace across the passage. I didn't see the other rooms across the terrace so may have to try one of them next time. If you feel you want to go back in time but have the exacting standards of modern day customer service, friendly staff and also enjoy the mother of all breakfasts, then go and stay there. Even if you can't get a room but are in the Cotswolds staying nearby then head there for lunch or dinner. If the Kings Head in Bledington is a secret, then it should be open one. Apparently, it is booked out til February or March which doesn't really surprise me. But its worth doing what I did, phone up on the off chance there's a cancelation. You won't regret it and I bet you'll want to go back there again. I remember certain great inns I've stayed in in Northumberland, in Cheshire and in Wales. This was the best I've seen in the Cotswolds, and in the top 5 of any inn in England.

Room Tip: I actually phoned up and got hold of the owners, Archie and NIc. They talked me throughout the room...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
London
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stopped for Sunday lunch as the pub came so highly recommended, and it definitely lived up to the expectation.

It is situated on a pretty green in Bledington and looks just like the hard-to-find quintessential English pub. The interior reconfirmed this with a warm fire, old style decor, good choice of beers and friendly staff.

Lunch was excellent: we had roast pork (best crackling ever!) and salted squid. The food offerings and quality of the food is way beyond the norm. Good selection of wines by the glass too.

Very repeatable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights over the Big Feastival weekend rather than camping - the bedroom was lovely and luxurious.
We booked a table for friday evening and had superb food (luckily away from the children's seating area).
The breakfast choices were spot on and the staff very welcoming also....we had a great break and plan on returning for next years' Feastival.

Room Tip: if needed contact the pub directly
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sianyjenks
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We returned to the Kings Head Inn for 2 nights as we were visiting the Jamie Oliver Big Feastival in nearby Kingham. We had stayed last year for the same event and chose this year to bring the in-laws along too. Food excellent, rooms perfect and staff as friendly as ever.. We chose to stay in the same room as we loved it..small, cosy, comfortable, and spotlessly clean....room 4,over the pub. The in-laws were just as impressed with everything too. If I could quibble about one thing it would be lack of tables inside that are for just having a drink..all tables were set for dining only so we sat outside on the Sat eve and it was a little chilly ! A small section needs to be set aside for 'non-diners' as the pub is truly charming to sit in with a good selection of wines and local beers to offer. We will return if we are in the area as is really is a fab place!

Room Tip: We found the rooms over the pub very quaint, and very quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Recently spent 3 nights here and thoroughly enjoyed it. The inn provided the perfect base for getting around the Cotswolds. We had a room in the courtyard with lovely views. The courtyard area is a lovely area to sit out in the evening. The food was excellent. Can highly recommend the mussels and the cheeseboard. The staff were welcoming and friendly. We would definitely stay again

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and regret we didn't plan a longer stay.
The inn is simply beautiful. The rooms are well appointed and were nicely updated without sacrificing the character of the historic property. The beds in particular were very comfortable.
The restaurant and pub are amazing. Great food, terrific local beer in casks, excellent wine list, reasonable prices. A true gem of a restaurant / pub. Eat in the pub room, delightful. Don't miss the Wednesday Burger night (locally sourced lamb, beef or pork options).
Terrific courtyard, great place to wind down with a beer after a full day of touring the Cotswolds.
Great location as home base in the Cotswolds. And they have excellent map of walks of various llenghts you can take from the Inn. We really wanted to take the longer walk to their sister inn/pub, but the kids weren't up for it.
Kings Head is a special Inn, remarkable.
Be sure to visit nearby Chipping Camden, our favorite of the nearby towns and highly preferable to Stow on the Wold.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I have to say I loved my stay here this weekend (9th & 10th August 2013). The Inn is about 4 miles from Stow on the Wold, so a little off the 'normal Cotswold' track, and we stayed in the Inn (you can opt to stay in ‘the courtyard’, but our room (3) was clean, it was well decorated, the staff were friendly, the food was good, and I slept like a baby.

I think the weather helped, and there are two seating areas; the front overlooks a small communal park (which was busy on Saturday), or the patio area out the back which was very peaceful.

My only criticisms were that the walls are thin, so noise between bedrooms can travel, but if you're lucky to be staying with considerate people, this wouldn't be in issue.

Even though the Inn is not based in the more popular areas of Stow on the Wold, or Bourton on the Water, or Moreton in Marsh, we were able to get to these easily, and more besides, so for a little slice of the Cotswolds, I’m more than happy to recommend the Kings Head Inn, and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3 in the Inn (just above the bar), and had two single beds, which were extremely c...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bledington
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
The Swan Inn
The Swan Inn
#1 of 15 in Burford

Been to The King's Head Inn? Share your experiences!