“Marvellous, as ever!”

and 1 more site!
The King's Head Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Bledington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2011

We have stayed at The King's Head every January bar one for the past 10 years. (We once ventured dissapointingly to a a local alternative).
We believe it to be the best PUB/INN that we know and we speak as frequent travellers who dine in top restaurants on a regular basis and stay in 5* accomodation o'seas.

The ambience and feel of the pub is just right, allied to a wondrous setting on a quiet green in a small, tranquil village. Absolute picture perfect. But location is not all, the main bar is superb - excellently kept beers, interesting wines and a massive inglenook fireplace,( the smaller bar has a wood burner). The food is excellent with "real" meat and daily fresh fish available. The courtyard rooms are well designed, and decorated and provide a comfortable quiet night's sleep. Those not used to" country winters" ought to find the double radiators sufficient - though an additional electric rad is supplied too.

We find the service to be spot on - friendly and attentive, without being invasive and the owner Archie is a rightly popular local figure. As indicated, we have atayed all over the place and we find this our Number 1 !

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamiemay

Reviewed 16 January 2011

We have eaten at The Kings Head many times and always had a lovely meal but we were there for Sunday Lunch recently and we were very dissapointed firstly with the service I do not want to go for lunch and order my food and drink at the bar when paying that amount of money and having to keep getting up from the table, and the food was very poor also, the reason we have gone there in the past was for the qaulity of the food and the service, obviously NOT ON A SUNDAY so a first and last visit on a Sunday.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 January 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here last week for a couple of days between Christmas and new year. What an excellent choice this turned out to be.  It's a bit tricky to find, even with sat nav and especially in the dark of winter. But any stress from our journey was soon forgotten once we arrived. Our room was excellent. So cosy and really warm. I'm normally dissapointed if there's no stand up shower, but it's so relaxing and peaceful at the kings head, a long soak after a long country walk is much more appealing. We ate in the bar both nights. Couples are seated side by side and the cute wooden high backed benched are dotted around the bar and although it can get quite busy, the open fire, candles and cosy atmosphere still make it feel very romantic and intimate. It really is as idyllic as you imagine the Cotswolds to be. Infact i'd go as far to say it is even better I'm real life. The owner had a real presence the days we were there. Don't know if that was just luck. He took the time to chat to us when we checked out. He genuinely was bothered to hear if we'd enjoyed our stay. I'm so gutted we didn't book an extra night. It was my first experience of the Cotswolds. I'll definitely be going back and I'll definitely be staying at the kings head inn.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I don't normally write reviews because I don't want the places i stay to become too popular which means I cannot get a room when I want one. However I felt compelled to write a review on the Kings Head Inn after reading the previous review which I feel is very unjust. I stay at the KHI as often as I can - why? Quite simply because it is everything a Cotswold Pub should be. Set back on the village green, quaint old building (watch your head on the beams if you are tall), Open Log Fire, 7 or 8 ales to choose from, great selection of whiskies and I have never had a meal there that has not been excellent. Very good Menu plus specials on the board. The bedrooms above the pub are old fashioned (intensionally) - It is an old building - it is not a Travelodge or Premier Inn. While the decor is Olde Worldie (is that an expression) the beds that I have slept in are very very comfortable. i have always had a great nights sleep. One criticism would be that the rooms again that I have slept in above the pub do not have showers but have shower heads attached to the bath tap fitment. However when you think about it this is simply because there is not the headroom to install a full shower. This is not really a criticism but an observation. The rooms across the courtyard are newer and are very very nice. I am normally on my own on business but I took my wife earlier in the year and she was delighted with room across the courtyard (got some Brownie points that night) With regard to the staff I can honestly say I have never had a bad experience or anything negative from the staff at the KHI. It is not easy to get a room at the KHI unless you book at least a week before and when I have stayed Mon/Tues/Wed nights the Pub has always been full. All these people can't be wrong. I have used a number of the Hotels in Burford and surrounding area but having found the KHI I would not stay anywhere else. It is certainly worth finding.
In closing if people are put off by previous reviews that will be great as it will mean there will be a room for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank trev1877
Reviewed 9 December 2010

We are seasoned Cotswolders, having stayed there many times to escape London. One inevitably arrives there after a few hours driving. We knew we were not heading to a five star hotel but had read all the blurb about this "charming" country pub etc and had therefore been expecting at least a warm welcome upon arrival - unfortunately we had no such luck. Upon arrival I introduced myself to the receptionist, who seemed to be rather irritated that I had interrupted his web-surfing. There was no welcome, no "how was your journey?" chit chat, no "can I help you with your luggage" (chat costs nothing). He simply led us to the room, handed us the key and said "there you are;" didn't orientate us, tell us about breakfast times or ask about newspapers (we later established they could be delivered). We had also booked a particular room many months in advance (this was our 10th wedding anniversary - which they know about), and reconfirmed it with them. This was not the room we were allocated however; the receptionist's excuse was that "your room has been taken by people that arrived earlier". Not a good start. We had a courtyard room which was more or less as expected - the linen and beds were comfortable. The bathroom however was freezing cold and not heated at all (except by a towel rail); this was December! Turning on the taps, also turned on a noisy water pump. The mismatch between a slick PR operation and reality was becoming evident and I was ready to leave; my wife was quite tearful. In fact the only reason we didn't leave was because other hotels nearby were full. The restaurant / main bar seemed to be staffed by a bunch of amateurs who had no idea who was booked to sit at what table and no charisma or charm. One couple was moved three times. It really reminded me of Fawlty Towers. I have no complaints about the food itself - it was rather good in fact, however the front of house staff let the chef down badly. We busied ourselves during the daytime with wonderful Cotswold walks around the Daylesford estate. There appeared to be no fireplace to curl up next to in the afternoon with the papers at the Kings Head (or if there was, we weren't told about it), so we instead had tea and relaxed at the Lower Slaughter Manor - which was excellent of course. In light of our Friday night experience we cancelled our dinner reservation and dined instead at the Fox at Oddington, which was very enjoyable. On the upside, breakfast each day was excellent. The general impression I had was that the Kings Head could be a reasonably comfortable pub to stay at but (1) they raise very high expectations with their slick website and plethora of newspaper reviews, but at the end of the day its still just a pub with rooms (2) critically the staff did not seem to know what they were doing, lacked charm and appear to be poorly managed - the owners were nowhere in sight and the on-site manager did not seem to have much of a grip. If you are going to advertise yourselves as a charming country pub, you must employ people with charm! (3) freezing bathrooms are a no-no and that was inexcusable (4) beds were comfortable (5) food was good, but let down by the staff. We will not be returning.

No fires

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Londoner47
kingshead100, Owner at The King's Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2010

We would like to respond to this review as we feel it goes against the tide of positive feedback that we get about our hospitable staff and attentive service; you only have to read the long list of comments in our visitors books from guests who feel really well looked after. The guest concerned having been shown to his room complained to the manageress that the member of staff had the ‘personality of a wet dish cloth’ I would say that this is unusually aggressive behaviour but maybe in keeping with someone who’s been stuck in traffic from London for three hours. The member of staff concerned is very polite and courteous but on the shy side.
I am confused about the criticism of the lack of fireplace as the pub has an open fire approximately 10 foot wide in the main bar which is lit all weekend. There is also a log-burner in the side bar which is lit throughout the winter.
The on-site manager has managed the Inn very successfully for the past six years and without her management we would not have such a successful business nor would we have he ‘plethora of newspaper reviews’

Reviewed 11 November 2010

My husband and I stayed there for 4 nights in a courtyard room on the second floor. The room was okay but dowdy : no comfortable chairs to sit in (we had a bench), the bed was comfortable and the linens were fine. Someone in another review mentioned the noisy plumbing and they were correct. You can hear it running all the time; it didn't stop us from sleeping but was more of an annoyance.The food for breakfast was quite good and the room lovely. We had dinner there 2 nights and it was above average but pricy for the quality . The pub was overall disappointing; not too many locals and no one was very friendly. We were most disappointed in the staff; after 4 nights no one really talked to us, asked what our plans were or really seemed to care. The owners were no where in sight that we could see. However, the town is very quaint and we loved the church and footpath through the houses. It is a fairly convenient location but in the future we would stay in Stow-on-the -Wold or another town where it would be easier to walk to restaurants at night.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2010

An idylic Cotswold hamlet near Stow.
This a regular half term trip
It is not cheap BUT food is delicious/rooms very comfortable and a warm welcome from Archie the owner and Tanya the Kiwi who is fantastic..

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bledington
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Swan Inn
The Swan Inn
#1 of 15 in Burford

Been to The King's Head Inn? Share your experiences!