“Comfortable room, helpful staff”
Review of Bignell Park Hotel

Bignell Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chesterton
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My friend and I stayed at Bignell Park for a Saturday and Sunday night. It was blisteringly hot but the room was air conditioned room and comfortable. We did notice a strange smell,we didn't work out what it was but you do get used to it! Our room was on the ground floor ,we were relieved to find there was no wedding that weekend as the marquee was next door. The bathroom needed updating.
The highlight of the hotel is the food, the dinner on Saturday night was really good. We found the breakfast fine too, lovely selection of fresh fruit and a good cooked breakfast ( could do with some vegetarian options though) Have to agree with another reviewer that the choice and volume of music in the restaurant needs addressing. All the staff were all very friendly and helpful.
Hotel is in quiet location, we went into Oxford twice... wouldn't bother with Bicester Outlet village
again, it was horrible,

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Caroline B

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Worst Service I have Ever Experienced

My wife booked this hotel as she said the pictures on the internet looked lovely.

Unfortunately, the whole weekend was spoilt by the poor service and facilities at this supposedly 3 star hotel.

The arrived at the hotel around 15:00 after spending a wonderful morning shopping at the Bicester Village outlet. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds. There was ample parking when we arrived though parking would be a problem is there was a wedding or some other function being held.

On arrival, there was no one in reception and no one around to be seen. Eventually, a lady arrived with a badge which stated she was the ‘Reception Manager’. Check-in was smooth and we were on the ground floor. The room was baking as the temperature outside was around 27 degrees. The bed was comfortable and the room was pleasantly laid out. There was a large LCD TV. The furniture in the room was something that my Mum would have had – back in the 1970’s! We looked around but couldn’t find the switch to turn the air conditioning on.

We went back to reception and asked about the air conditioning – only to be told that there wasn’t any. When I pointed out that the temperature in the room was sweltering, we were told that we would have to just leave our windows open at night – I wonder how many ladies on their own or families with children would have felt like, sleeping in a ground floor room with their windows open at night. So we decided to put up with that and asked if we could order some food. To our amazement, we were told that there was no food on until 17:00 as that was the time the Chef came back. When we asked what guests usually did for food, we told to find a local pub.

We searched high and low for a local pub as we were starving. In the end, we gave up and drove back to Bicester where we found a Sainsburys Store. Here we bought sandwiches and bottles of water. We went back to the hotel and asked if we could get a drink. We were told where we could find the bar. The bar area was so small that the hotel could only fit 5 sofas in it. We waited for nearly 5 minutes for someone to come and serve us. Eventually, we got so fed up and bumped into a cleaner and asked here where the bar waiter / waitress was. They said that they would send someone. After another five minutes, the girls who was the ‘Reception Manager’ now became the ‘Bar Manager’ and started to serve us. In the middle of serving us, she disappeared. After 5 minutes I went hunting for her and found her on reception signing in new guests – she had her ‘Reception Manager’ badge back on . Eventually, she came back and finished serving us.

I ordered a pint of lager and it smelt off. I told them that and they offered me another draft beer. This one didn’t smell but the temperature of this was around 25 degrees and was not being chilled. They apologised to me again and offered me a choice of canned Guinness or Cider – both of which I am not fond off. As beggars can’t be choosers, I drank canned Guinness for the rest of the evening.

We had a kip for a few hours in a room which felt like a sauna.

We went back to the bar area in the evening. There were more people on but still not draught beer. My wife wanted some pineapple with the drink and was told that she had to have ice in it as the juices were warm – they had not been kept in the fridge. On the plus side we had our drinks in the garden which was lovely laid out and made you feel as though you were out in the countryside.

The restaurant had quite a number of staff on. The menu choice was good but the portions on offer were miserly. For my starter I ordered quall and I was served one piece which was approximately 2 inches long. For my main I ordered the pork and got 4 cubes (yes cubes) of pork each no wider than an inch and a half. For the accompanying potatoes I got of potatoes again this time it was around 2 inches wide by around 2 inches in height. I have seen bigger portions being served to school children. What irritated me about the portions was that had I walked off the street and ordered these items, I would have paid around £22 for them. In the end I ended up ordering an additional side dish of fries.

The room was very warm at night. My wife refused to sleep with the ground floor windows open and so didn’t really have much of a choice but to put up with the heat.

For my cooked breakfast in the morning the portions were miserly and certainly inadequate for someone with a healthy appetite like mine.

We just couldn’t wait to have our breakfast and leave. What should have been a wonderful weekend was spoilt by the poor level of service and amenities at this hotel.

Room Tip: Try another hotel :)
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank flawless101
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Spent the weekend of 6-7th July at Bignell Park for my husband's birthday, got a good deal on Groupon. The hotel is out in the countryside near Biscester and seems to be geared up for the wedding/ conference market, neither of those going on when we were there though the hotel seemed pretty full. We had a lovely room on the first floor which was big, quite individual and not the usual "bog standard" hotel room layout. Hotel was well looked after and clean, all the staff i came into contact with were extremely friendly and helpful. We didn't dine in the restaurant as we had other plans in Oxford, but the breakfast was certainly fine, with a good choice. The hotel has lovely gardens and areas to sit outside for a drink which we were certainly able to take advantage of with the nice weather. The hotel is a great place for exploring Oxfordshire - and nice and close to the Biscester Retail Outlet (!!) I would certainly stay there again.

4  Thank Debs S
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Having previously had an really good lunch here I decided to book it for a short weekend break

The staff are pleasant and the dinner was extremely good. Sadly the hotel rooms are decidedly average, quite tired and expensive for what they are.

Our room safe was locked on arrival and, wanting to use it, we reported this and was told it would be fixed. Five hours later I enquired when it would be fixed to be told after the weekend when the maintenance team we on call .. not a lot of good for us over that weekend and no apology offered. We were told we could use the main hotel safe but that wasn't a lot of good as reception is closed overnight and we expected to want to put stuff in the safe after they closed.

Dinner was good but not always exactly as expected. I ordered a goats cheese soufflé and expected a baked dish .. it wasn't it was a chilled dish in a small liqueur glass .. very tasty but quite unexpected and not as per the French derivation of the word souffle to "puff up" . I am aware of cold soufflés but these should contain egg white and cream which this dish didn't seem to contain.

The service in the restaurant was very quick .. it seemed as as soon as ordered the dish was delivered with no time to prepare for the next course.

Our only complaint with the ambience of the restaurant was the appalling choice of music. the waiting staff clearly enjoyed disco and dance music but the older customers did not and comment was heard from several tables.

Wifi is free throughout the hotel, gave excellent service in the public areas but didn't work in our room.

On departure I queried the bill. I was told it was correct and accepted this. When I got home and checked it in more details I found we had been undercharged for several items .. we had made the effort to remedy this before leaving but they had been adamant they bill was correct.

Room Tip: Make sure there isn't a wedding taking place if you wish to stay over.
1  Thank CustomerConsultant
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed overnight here luckily for a corporate event:-

Pros
- Nice Location
- Great Staff (mix well, can take banter, feel welcomed...)
- If the weather is good it's a great place to sit outside
- Rooms are classic and modern
- Has special offers that are popular - so would have to book ahead
- Everything seemed to work

Cons
- Relatively expensive room cost if you pay the full price
- I've had cheaper drinks in London hotels - so check first

Overall we had a good time and were well catered for but look out for those drinks bills.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Perfect for a weekend stay close to Bicester Village. You also get a 10% off VIP card to use against in your shopping which is a nice little bargain!
On arrival, the hotel seems a little tired and in need of a make over, but generally it seemed to be clean and tidy.
There is a marquee up suggesting the venue is used regularly for weddings, but thankfully not the weekend we stayed as our room was right next to it.
The room itself was fine. Nice furniture and a very comfy bed. Plenty of storage and hanging space for clothes. The carpet was a seagrass style and was incredibly uncomfortable to walk on barefoot, especially after a shower etc. There was also a strange odour in the room which was quite unpleasant at first, but you did get used to it!
The shower room was fine, but the tiles were looking old and mouldy in places with the grouting needing replacing. However, the shower was strong and hot water plentiful. Also, lots of towels and some toiletries supplied.
The evening meal was included in our package and it was excellent. I had a great rib eye steak which was cooked as requested. Trio of puddings was good too. Breakfast the next morning was superb too. Plenty of lovely fresh continental goods to choose from and lots of hot options freshly cooked.
Would definitely return when next planning a spending spree at Bicester Village. Would pack my slippers though in case the smelly seagrass is still in situ!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 15 July 2013

From the moment i checked in ,i was made to feel welcome .
Set in the stunning oxford countryside and only five minutes away from shoppers paradise Bister village ...I must say one of the best nights sleep i have ever had ...breakfast was excellent and a good central location to explore oxford ..its a character hotel with lots of old world charm ...beamed ceilings in the restaurant and very polite and attentive staff.
A real gem of a hotel ,i will be back

1  Thank carlosintorquay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
1 mi away
Best Western Plus Magnolia Park Hotel, Golf and Country Club
Eynsham Hall Hotel
Eynsham Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Leigh

Been to Bignell Park Hotel? Share your experiences!