“Excellent evening out.”

Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Clanfield
Price range: US$7 - US$35
Cuisines: Diner, British, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: History of The Clanfield Tavern The village pub we now know as The Clanfield Tavern was built in 1610 and named The Masons Arms, the date being recorded on the original fire-back - a copy of which can be seen in The Tavern over the fireplace. In the early 70's Harry and Jean Norton owned both the Plough and The Masons Arms, and they extended the Mason's Arms to include a derelict cottage which they bought from Ruth Fowler. At that time it was renamed the Plough Tavern, and it became The Clanfield Tavern when it later changed hands. Since 1610. Besides being used as a public house, it has been used as a meeting place for clubs and societies and also for village and parish business. In 1827 the Court Leet was held at the Masons Arms, when all males over the age of 12 years were required to attend for the purpose of electing three jurors. Properties were sold by Auction and Inquests were held there. Parish and Vestry business was conducted there until the Carter Institute was built., But the members still made there way to the Masons Arms for a little light refreshment after the meetings. During the reign of Queen Victoria organised sport began and Clanfield had a cricket team which played in Mr Clinch's field (possibly the feeding ground field behind Chestlion Farm). Afterwards the team would meet in the Masons Arms for a meal. As it was the only pub registered in the village just then it was a focal point for any celebrations that were to be held. The Clanfield Band was formed in 1912 and played for the first time on Boxing Day at 6am - showing great enthusiasm! The Masons Arms was the place they would meet for practice, and to enjoy a drink after all that dry work, keeping the young Harry Clarke awake in his bedroom at the Post Office next door. Drink was said to be a problem in Clanfield, and the cost of being found drunk was high - 1/6d plus 3/6d costs or 7 days in prison. The charge of furiously driving a horse could cost even more. In 1876 Lance Collet was fined 10s plus 1s 6d at Burford after being found guilty of that charge, and Thomas Beckingsale, baker of Clansfield , was found guilty of the same charge and fined 14s with 26s for driving furiously at Brize Norton. In 1958 The Clanfield Friendly Society was formed at the Masons Arms. People felt they needed more security, especially at times of illness. This provided an opportunity for an annual celebration with a church service
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We spent a really nice evening firstly sitting in comfy chairs in front of the wood burner, then we enjoyed a very nice meal. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming and we had a sneak preview of what the landlord has done to upgrade the conservatory. Now it's much more chic and intimate.
Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Sagawithattitude
Woody2103, Owner at The Clanfield Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Thank you for visiting us at The Clanfield and having a wonderful time. The conservorty opened on 23rd and was a big hit.
Do come back and see us again.
Woody

Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Tavern has just re-opened (again) after a brief spell of refurbishment. The current landlord/lady have done a great job in freshening up the place.
The bar area looks fantastic, clean and tidy. New sofa's and upholstery on the stools etc all look great! New curtains and a frosted glass effect with the Tavern insignia add a cosiness to the bar area that has been missing for some time! I sat there with my pint in front of the fire, listening to the babble of chatter around the bar and was totally content with the world.
The toilets have been totally revamped and are certainly no longer a health risk, as another reviewer found previously. There is an interesting theme to them, which I won't spoil here (the gents anyway, I'm told by a friend that the ladies were 'amazing', but at the risk of being thrown out I didn't venture in there!)
The menu has been overhauled, and looks great. A varied choice for meat and fish eaters and vegetarians alike! I only popped in for drinks and it was their opening night, so I can't comment specifically on the food, as I didn't eat, but what was coming out looked hearty and wholesome enough, and the prices looked very reasonable!
They have added to the beers available too, there are now a choice of two ciders, 4 real ales, Guinness and I believe there are 5 lagers (the bar was busy, and I'm not a lager drinker, so pardon my apparent ignorance on this).
The conservatory has been revamped too, but was not quite finished to the landlady's satisfaction, so we weren't allowed to see that. But I'm assured it will be unveiled shortly and will be worth the wait!
I can't comment on the 'abundance of children' aspect that the previous reviewer commented on, as there were no children there on my visit, maybe the weekend will tell, but all I can say is it was a great, warm atmosphere and the place looks better than it has done for many years! It's great to have it looking loved and lived in again.
I will be back to try the food, and from my impressions last night, I would heartily recommend giving the Tavern another go now that a new broom has swept clean (both figuratively and literally).
I wish the custodians the best of luck for the future. If their opening night was anything to go by, things look positive!

4  Thank nickaloosh

Thank you for the great feed back and Yes The Clanfield Tavern is back.....

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Popped in on Sunday for a couple of drinks as we heard there were new managers in their. Well i could not work out who was running the pub as there were Children running all around the pub. Management didn't seem to care and the parents weren't bother either. I had to ask children to move out of the way so I could use the Toilet and I could not believe that 3 boys just jump onto the red leather sofa. We didn't even finish our drink. Very very disappointed will not be going back.

2  Thank suze007

Since closing down for our refurbished and re opening on the 13th of February we have put a children's policy in place.
Regards
Woody

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Having waited a long time for the pub to re-open it's doors, and then even longer for it to re-open it's kitchen, we thought it time we patronised our 'local' and treated ourselves to a family Sunday Lunch,

Well, what an amazing disappointment! The staff certainly can't be described as 'neat and tidy' or 'professional' but did tick the 'incredibly curt' box, service was abrupt and verging on rude, no menus were offered or indeed visible anywhere, food (whilst plentiful) was cold and served on cold plates which meant that what little residual heat there was soon dissipated. We sent one meal back as it was stone cold and it was returned to the table by a young girl of about 12 or 13 and plonked back down without an apology (and it was still only tepid).

To add insult to injury, a male member of the party reported that the toilets were dirty, full of cobwebs, the hand-drier was a hygiene risk and the taps had no tops! Thank goodness I didn't venture into the ladies!

Having run a pub myself, I am the first to shout about how important it is to support your 'local' however I would readily advise anyone asking to give this place a very wide berth until the landlords learn how to run the business properly. Marstons offer all sorts of training courses for their tenants, perhaps these people should sign up for some of them, and soon.

3  Thank Falcorsmum
Woody2103, Owner at The Clanfield Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

I would like to introduce ourselves as the new owners of The Clanfield Tavern and ask you to come and see all the changes that have taken place since we reopened on 13th February 2014.
My self (Woody Woodhouse), partner (Mell Evans) and daughter (Victora Evans) are the proud new owners of The Clanfield Tavern and custodians of this wonderful building in the hart of Clanfield.
Woody, Mell and Vicky would like to welcome all patrons new and old, with the goal that we can make The Clanfield Tavern part of the local community once again and a great destination pub.
Offering a varied food menu, great selection of beers, cask ales, ciders, wines and spirits in a great atmosphere.

Thanks

Woody, Mell and Vicky

Reviewed 24 October 2013

The Clanfield Tavern used to be a very nice restaurant; it was recently closed (I assume) for refurbishment. I was looking for a local pub to take a friend for a meal as a treat and now it has reopened I thought I should give the Clanfield Tavern a go. I should have been forewarned as the pub has no website or local advertising - very strange in this day and age. However. On arriving we decided to share a bottle of wine between us, to go with our meal; when I asked to see the wine list I was told ' we don't have one'. Despite this we chose a Merlot from the three reds on offer; this was brought to the table unopened - a case of 'do it yourself'. Wrong temperature and £16 - available for £6.45; yes, I know it's a pub but that's quite a mark up.
When the menu arrived this was short (no starters) and rather 'chips with everything'. We cancelled the booking and left as this seemed no place to spoil oneself. Also lacking in atmosphere, can't see where the refurbishment went. Obviously won't go back.

3  Thank Peter W