“Enjoyable lunch”

The Kingham Plough Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kingham Plough Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Kingham
Price range: US$13 - US$53
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In 2007 Executive chef Emily Watkins and her husband, Miles Lampson, opened The Kingham Plough, a quintessential Cotswold Inn and award winning restaurant. Their aim was to create somewhere that they themselves would like to visit; excellent modern British and comfortable rooms set within a warm and relaxed environment. The food quickly gained critical acclaim and has been awarded numerous accolades including the prestigious third AA Rosette, awarded in 2015. The Kingham Plough regularly features in the UKs Top 100 Restaurants and Top 50 Gastropubs and with six beautiful, individually decorated en-suite bedrooms it is the perfect place for a Cotswold getaway.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stopped here as a detour on our journey having read about this pub in several magazine articles. We really like the local food sourcing and sous vide method of cooking. My son said this was the best burger he has had and wanted to give it 5 stars but i found the slow service frustrating. It would also have been nice to have local waiters in such a quintessentially English pub. The food was all delicious with excellent pulled pork buns and a good beetroot soufflé on offer. Slow service meant that we didn't try the desserts as we were travelling a long distance - it is probably better to come here when you have plenty of time as the quickest food available we were told would take 30 minutes to arrive at lunch-time. Very pretty location. Worth noting that the pub is a very short distance from Daylesford Organic if you are doing a foodie tour.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Went for dinner at The Kingham Plough. A very nice Cotswold gastro-pub that serves lovely food. The restaurant menu is not extensive with around 5 starters and 5 mains. They all sounded so nice it was difficult to choose. If you are not eating in the restaurant there is a bar menu.
Very well presented and nicely cooked food arrives on a variety of plates, platters and slabs. A nice selection of wines is available as well. Service was excellent.
For a country pub I thought it was somewhat pricey, but the place was full on Saturday night. I would like to go back and try their bar menu.

They charge an extra 10% for service, which given their prices I thought was a little cheeky.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Went here for my birthday. Lunchtime meal with my wife and out two friends (one of which was also celebrating his birthday too)

Lovely looking pub. Good parking round the back.

Pub itself was quite busy. Lots of people and quite a few well behaved dogs.

They sell a nice (but small) range of beers. Wine seemed a good selection.

The lady that owns the pub is the woman finalist from the great British menu (on BBC1) - Emily Watkins)

I had a rabbit sausage for starters and a pigeon for main. It was excellent. The others had a selection of bar snacks for their starters and they all had steak for main. I had some of their steak and it was delicious.

The food is cooked via sous vide method which is cooking in a water bath. This means the steak is cooked through consistently and therefore it appears rarer than normal. So if you don't like your steaks pink you'll want it done a bit more. Probably best to discuss with your waiting staff. My wife had it rare and it was absolutely devine.

The staff were great. Even had a couple of birthday cards on our table.
They leave you to take your time and extremely knowledgable. With such great food I was expecting a chunky bill but it was only £40 per head. That included several pints and wines. I was very happy to pay that.

I will most certainly be coming back here. My meal was 100% perfect.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Have just returned from a celebratory birthday dinner at the Plough restaurant Kingham. The standard of the food was good and the staff lovely, but I am Sorry Emily to charge £20 for your GBM fish dish ( sold as a starter)was a complete rip off. The dish arrived like on the program, tin caddy, flask and tin of seaweed. Oh what disappoint ( which since driving home has turned into annoyance)to find when you looked in the Caddy that you only actually got 1 scallop ( yes 1 scallop) a few cockles and a few tiny Morels all for the exorbitant price of £20. Luckily the mains were better, but we found the puddings uninspiring and very little choice. Also we asked about the provenance of some cheese we had tasted as the table card stated that staff were more than welcome to comment. Sadly I was just told that all the cheese came from Daylesford and I could buy it there. Would have been nice to give the farmer or cheese producer a plug!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Went for Sunday lunch having seen Emily Watkins on the Great British Menu, as so many others have commented.

We were not disappointed. The main menu isn't long, but the bar food is also available to supplement it, so there should be something acceptable. Not as busy as we had been expecting, but I guess that's no bad thing (for the customers, anyway!).

The food was excellent - well cooked, well seasoned (it had to be - not even salt and pepper on the tables), and the portion sizes adequate, allowing for three courses before total food overload. Just as well - starters were pricey but worth it; the dessert was fabulous!

The chosen wines were also good, with a good choice of half bottles and wines by the glass, although they did bump up the bill.

Service was prompt, friendly and polite - and that's fine.

It was an hour away for us, so I doubt we will rush back, but that is more because an hour's radius provides huge choice. We had a really, really good meal and would certainly be happy to return.