“Grew on us...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Milton Common
Woburn Sands, United Kingdom
“Grew on us...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed for two nights as we were going out in the area. Having seen some of the reviews - the good, the bad and the indifferent - i can see where most are coming from (contradictory I know). There are definitely things I would change - put mini bars or fridges in the rooms; decor in the bar is a little dated... However, we thought for the price the rooms were lovely, pool area good and the service excellent. We also thought the breakfast was very good. Lovely, freshly poached eggs on tap. It also has excellent views and we were lucky that the sun shone and we could sit outside watching the sun set while having a beer to two.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank randj06

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed at the Oxfordshire this week. Rooms are well equiped, clean and really well layed out/spacious.The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, obviously because it's situated in the middle of a golf course. There is nothing local to do besides eat in their restaurant which lacks any atmosphere if i'm being honest. As it's not a busy leisure hotel the staff service level is not as good as most other hotels i have stayed in. Why i would stay in this hotel again, if i was on a residential course or playing golf tournament, I definitely wouldn't stay just because i wanted to be local, i prefer something with a little more going on. Overall not bad but not really for me.

Room Tip: if you're a smoker qask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Banbury
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night very expensive for 4 stars attended an evening reception food very nice but tables not cleared from afternoon event
Staff seemed never to smile
Room was average holes in bedsheets no beverages had to ask for them
BreakfAst was ok but food lukewarm
Bar staff friendly bar food was very nice

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed for two nights as we were attending a wedding nearby . we did not use the spa or the golf course so cannot comment on these facilities. however the service was excellent the views from the dining room were lovely.Had dinner on the Friday night very good,there were only five couples in the dining room it would have been nicer if there were more diners in such a big room.
Breakfast on both days was served until 10.30 am this suited us as we wanted a nice relaxing time ,one nit picking complaint, the cooked breakfast was kept in heated trays and therefore not to our taste (not as fresh as we would have liked). Although there was a wedding on both nights we were there there was no disturbance to any other guests.We enjoyed our stay and given the opportunity would not hesitate to stay there again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank norfolkfarmer
North London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Booked the one night dinner and breakfast rate for Hubby's birthday and paid for him to play golf separately as I don't play. Check-in is 2pm so as we had arrived too early we had a bit of a wait as our room wasn't ready. Hubby's tee off time was also at 2pm so he went off to golf and I checked us in which was nice and easy.

Got to the room and was immediately impressed with the bathroom and the enormous separate shower cubicle fitted with large shower head attachment that could be handheld. Had a problem with the wash basin not draining water but that was quickly fixed by a member of staff. Room had ample wardrobe and drawer space. There was also a safe in the wardrobe and iron/ironing board, hair dryer and coffee/tea making facilities and a large flat screen TV mounted on the wall directly facing the bed. There were also 2 comfy chairs with a small table near the door leading to the balcony plus another chair. Our room was on the second floor with great views looking out to part of the golf course. Whilst hubby played golf I went to the Bicester Village Outlet Centre which is about 30 minutes away and then went to the gym when I got back. The gym has a good amount of cardio equipment. I can't comment on the spa or swimming pool as I didn't use them. The bed was huge and very comfortable and room temperature easy to regulate with the wall mounted air conditioning control panel.

Dinner was really nice...the only complaint would be dessert served on those black slates that seem to be the in-thing now (not very good when your ice cream is melting onto the table). Breakfast varied but would ask the person who takes your order of tea/coffee/toast, to also inform guests that the chef can also make your eggs to order as the only type on the hot buffet table were poached which I don't eat....so when I asked if the poached eggs were the only ones available I was told I could have my eggs done any way I wanted so had a very tasty ham and cheese omelette and hubby had his eggs fried.

I'd also like to say that the staff we met were very welcoming and attentive which always makes us want to stay at a hotel again and we certainly will be booking here again as Hubby really did enjoy playing golf here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Londonersunseeker
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We booked a function room for a private birthday function with a meal. Prior to booking we had attended and researched other local venues and was immediately impressed but our first impressions when we first attended to look at the options at the Hotel. Once booked, as you can imagine there were a number of phone calls/emails / requests / questions and throughout all that time the staff were excellent and patient. On the day it went like clock work and all the staff were very attentive, friendly and professional. Food was excellent and the variety catered for all tastes. Living local i always had the impression that perhaps this venue was rather stuffy and univiting and this perception could not have been further from the truth. Everything was done by the staff to ensure that the day went smoothly and was in keeping with a "Special Birthday Lunch". Highly recommended. This review is based on a lunch in a private function room and on this occasion we did not stay in the Hotel. We hope to return for other lunches based on the quality we experienced.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MKEL09
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I've just returned from staying for two nights, our package included afternoon tea on the first day and dinner on the second night.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here, but there are several areas that could be improved (such as the spa) or can't be improved since they are what they are (it's a golf club, then everything else). The outside looks really drab, and a lot of the general use areas look tired - the carpets especially. The Lounge bar & Sakura could do with an update IMO to make them more modern.

We chose the visit the spa on arrival. Check-in is at 2, but our appointments were at 12.45 so we left the bags in the car - it's not a long walk at all, and they do have a luggage check in if you would rather do that.

The Spa is in the basement, basically. It's dark, small and whilst nice enough - looks quite new - it's nothing special. The staff were lovely and I had a good full-body massage, but it's NOT what I would call a 'Spa' hotel, nor would I stay for a 'Spa Break'. There's a small pool & jacuzzi, with a sauna and steam room too, but again, nothing special - my gym has these things (...and the pool is bigger there, but perhaps I'm spoilt in that regard!)

The bedrooms - these are lovely and well appointed. A really big bed - super king? king? - big tv, desk, wardrobes and drawers etc. Shower and bath in a good sized ensuite. Amenities don't include bubble bath, though you can pick up some extra shower gel from reception if you want. There's Twinnings Everyday Tea and Cranberry & Raspberry Tea for the kettle, as well as bottled water (still & sparkling) coffee (normal & decaf) & hot chocolate (options, belgian hot chocolate), plus little packets of cookies in the room. I thought that was a nice touch, since usually it's just tea and coffee.
There were scratches in the walls where something had ripped along them, and screws under the bed. Didn't really affect us, but a shame nonetheless.

Afternoon Tea (in the Lounge) - Nice sandwiches, with a selection cheese & tomato, egg mayo, salmon & cream cheese (I think) and ham (with something I couldn't name.) Scones were tiny and a little over cooked - plenty of clotted cream though. There was also lemon cake and chocolate cream eclairs, which were tasty. Towards the end, as we were leaving in fact, tiny ice-creams arrived! Bit random, but really nice ice cream. I think a little menu would of been nice, so you knew exactly what you were eating (what was with the ham?) and that the ice-cream was coming.

Breakfast - there's a buffet hot breakfast available as well as a vague continental. I say vague, since there is no cheese, bread or ham - there's plain croissants, yogurt (greek & natural, in bowls), muselli, cereals and fruits. I imagine you could ask for bread though, since they offer toast as well as tea & coffee when you are seated.
The 'hot' breakfast was... OK. It was lukewarm when I had it - if you're gonna do a buffet for goodness sake keep it hot! But I just ate it faster - hard to beat bacon & eggs in the morning! But the temperature let it down for me. My OH didn't seem to mind so much, so maybe I just picked badly!

Dinner (Sakura) - As part of our package, we received a 3-course meal from a set menu. Even for a set menu, the choice was limited in the main course - I would of liked a chicken or non-nut option as well, really.
To start it was pate, soup, squid or salad.
For main, it was pork, beef, vegetarian (with nuts!), or salmon.
Dessert was a choice of lemon tart, bread & butter pudding, chocolate mousse.. and something else.
The soup was far too hot, the beef was lovely & melted in the mouth but came with 3 tiny carrots & luke-warm mash. The bread & butter pudding was a bit bland (supposedly there was marmalade in it, somewhere?) and a bit sparse on the raisins, but good.

Views... There are some lovely views available, we had a great one when seated in Sakura for dinner. But as for room views... we stayed in 303 - I think was the sewage tanks outside? and the spa roof. Not so much for the views, that room ;)

Room Tip: Don't stay in 303 or any on that side - sewage tank views...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Oxford Spires Hotel
Oxford Spires Hotel
#12 of 44 in Oxford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,613 reviews

Been to The Oxfordshire Golf Club & Hotel? Share your experiences!