“Nice Hotel”
Review of The Oxford Belfry

The Oxford Belfry
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milton Common
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed here for one night on a business trip - so here are the results:
Location was great for me - I was working in Oxford but wanted to stay outside - so a short run in the morning to work.
Parking was fine - lots of room - so no issues there.
The hotel is large and low level fairly new - no zircon in the room that I had - but that wasn't an issue on the day - it may be during the warmer weather, but my room was a suite with double aspect so windows could be opened plus I noted the provision of an electric fan in a cupboard should it be required.
The room was nice - as I said I had a suite (normal cost is around £200 per night I understand?) Comfortable and large - the bed unfortunately was only a normal size, it would have been nice to have a king size in such a large room. Bathroom was good, with a tub and separate shower, very nice and roomy.
Sleep quality was OK with no noise or disturbance and good if you have to catch up on work!
Facilities - I didn't really use, but I understand there is a gym and a spa - so all good!
Eating - bar and restaurant - the bar is fine - large area with plenty of seating - Limited on 'real ale' and providing the usual lager etc on draft - so if you a 'real ale' person - no - it's not good - but otherwise fine.
Restaurant - food was OK - I have had much better, but nothing here to complain about really - it was OK. I thought the menu was a little limited - but again it was fine as I was only there for one night. The service in the restaurant was - well to be honest lacking - and by that I don't mean the staff - the staff were great - BUT - the timing was pretty bad - I am assuming that this was due to maybe limited staff on duty? Whatever it took a long time to get served and also between courses - this may be OK for some people but - for me two and a half hours took up a lot of my evening and I needed to work. So - it's maybe a small point?
Front desk staff - great - so - overall a nice hotel - could be better - but - overall - well done!

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room and it was exactly that - very good indeed
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bapsy3732
Julian W, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Bapsy3732,
Thanks for your review; I'm glad we met your requirements for an overnight business trip to Oxford. Your comments regarding slow service have been brought to the attention of the appropaite managers. Thanks again and we hope you'll come back and stay when you're in the area again.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed 3 nights her. I usually stay in hotels but commute to offices for work but this week stayed and worked in the Hotel. Staff were very helpful and reacted quickly to requests. Had a buffet lunch each day which was varied with something for everyone, just very similar from day to day. Dinner was pre-booked for a faster service and the restaurant staff lived up to expectations serving us within a few minutes of taking our table. Soup, braised beef with season veg and a beer was £25. Pint of San Miguel £4.05

Room Tip: I had room 355. Huge room with sofa area and walk in wardrobe, shower unit and separate bath. Room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear on2thefraudteam,
Thanks for your comments; I'm pleased to read that the team looked after you well during your business event. Perhaps we've converted you to staying and working in hotels rather than commuting to offices?
Julian white

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed in hotel for wife's 50th birthday. Staff were very obliging and helpful with decorating bedroom etc. We stayed for weekend in an upgraded room which was huge and comfortable. Location to thornhill park and ride excellent as 10minutes up the road. No hot water one morning and no heating at times were a little irritation but overall would have no hesitation in staying again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philybabes
Julian W, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Philybabes,
Thank you for your review; I'm glad to hear the team looked after you and that you enjoyed your wife's birthday weekend. We hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked The Oxford Belfry as my Hen Weekend and got a very good deal of £135pp of 'use of the spa, one spa treatment (either a 1 x hour treatment or 2 x 30 minute treatment), lunch, 2 x Coctails per person, canapes, dinner, bed and breakfast! For the money we paid, it was amazing!

We went as a group of 16 people, before we went the spa emailed me and we booked in everyones treatments for the day, there was a large list of treatments that the hen party could choose from, the reservations team also emailed me before the arrival and booked in our table for dinner, table for breakfast, room list and also reserved an area for our cocktails and canapes.

On arrival (10.30am) we weren't expecting to be able to check-in to the normal time of 3.00pm but all of our rooms were ready for us and we were quickly checked in, I was given a free upgrade to a lovely huge room and the rest of the party were in rooms next to each other which made things easy.

We made our way to the spa where we were given, Towels, Robes and Slippers. They showed us the facilities and where to wait when it was time for our treatment (as we were a large party we had treatments booked throughout the day). When it was time for peoples treatment they waiting in the treatment waiting room, where a member of staff arrived and knew exactaly who they were and what treatment they were having.

The lunch provided was massive, it was a buffet lunch which was hot meals, like pie, fish or a veggie dish, jacket potatoes, beans, salads. There was also a large range of desserts which included chocolate cake, waffles, pancakes, fruit. At lunch we were asked to order or evening meal and could spend £26pp which was a 3 course meal.

In the evening we had a reserved area away from everyone else that we used before our dinner and after our dinner, we had a lovely server called Robi who looked after us all evening and worked his socks off! Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff working here.
At dinner our table was in an enclosed room at the back of the resturant so we didn't distrub the other guests staying at the hotel, our food arrived Hot and to order as several of us had steaks all cooked to how we requested. Robi our server had even arranged a drinking game for myself being the 'Hen'. We were also given a bottle of wine by the hotel during dinner

Again in the morning we had tables ready waiting for us at breakfast.

I will be returning to the hotel again,

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mrs_0709

Dear Mrs_0709,
I am so delighted that your hen party was such a success. Thank you so much for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Went here on a spa break. Amazing value, 1hr spa treatment, lunch, 3 course dinner and breakfast for £99!

The hotel room was great, nice big rooms. The spa facilities were nothing special but did the job. The treatments were fab though. Lunch was superb! A buffet with a great selection of food, hot and cold and desserts. Dinner was lovely and our waitress Mary was brilliant and made us feel really welcome, in fact all the staff were very good. Breakfast was also good with another large selection to choose from.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brumbrum33

Dear Chakataka,
Thanks for your review; I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your spabreak and were looked after well by the team. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed here for two nights at the end of March and felt slightly disappointed upon arrival as the hotel felt a little dated and not quite what I was expecting.

I ate lunch in the bar area and found the service and food pretty poor, I ordered a dish and when it arrived the waitress informed me that they didn't have any baba ganoush which was why I had ordered this in the first place. I pointed out that maybe they should have told me before they brought the dish out, as I may have ordered something else. The service was hit and miss and the bar area felt a little grubby including dirty menus, not what you would expect.

My room was very large and spacious but again felt a bit worn and wasn't quite clean enough, I was surprised however to find a silverfish in the bathroom. When I mentioned this at reception the lady didn't seem that bothered. Not a great response. The worst aspect of the stay was being woken at 08.00am by the Gardner running machinery on Sunday morning, again when I complained I was told that the work was being carried out on the opposite side of the hotel so it shouldn't bother me. The weekend I stayed it was boiling hot so all my windows were open as were all the hotel windows in the corridor so I think it was inevitable that you would hear the noise. Regardless of where the work was, why would you arrange landscaping for that time in the morning?

I ate dinner in the hotel on the first night, and it was okay but nothing special.

This is my first experience of a Q hotel and unfortunately I don't think I'll be using the chain again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Julian W, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear MysteryGuestRochdale,
Thank you for your review; I'm sorry to hear that you were underwhelmed by certain aspects of your stay. As you can see from some of our recent reviews here, we do our utmost to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us, so I am disappointed that we didn't achieve this for you. If you do book to stay at a QHotel again, please do mention your experience and we'll do our best to make your next stay a better one.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

6 of us girls went here for a relaxing night and got a package for £99 including room, wine, lunch, treatment 3 course meal and breakfast.
Amazing!!!! Could not fault anything and the food was amazing. Everyone bent over backwards for us and the grounds were well kept. I'm already planning another stay with them.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Tinabean007,
Fantastic! Thank you so much for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton Common
Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford
Ramada Oxford
Ramada Oxford
#25 of 44 in Oxford

Been to The Oxford Belfry? Share your experiences!