“Fabulous spa experience”
Review of The Oxford Belfry

The Oxford Belfry
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milton Common
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We didn't book directly with the hotel, but the experience couldn't have been better.
All of the staff were extremely friendly, excellent food, fantastic spa experience and lovely room.
Particular mention to Liam (Duty Manager) and Lewis (waiter) for 1st class service.

Would thoroughly recommend and will revisit.

Room Tip: As others have suggested, a room at the rear of the hotel was very quiet and nice view of grounds.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Julian W, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear caron c,
I'm delighted that your spa break was such a success and thank you for your kind comments regarding particular members of the team; I'll make sure that they are passed on. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I did not stay here but used their bar for a lunch meeting. The place was modern and clean .Perfect for our meeting. Staff were friendly and informal. Our lunch pleasant and sandwiches fresh. Easy and ample parking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MollieArchie

Dear mollyandarchie,
Thanks for your comments; I'm pleased that your lunch meeting went well and that we offered everything you required. We hope to welcome you again soon.
kind regards,

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed here as a couple over the Bank holiday weekend, because we wanted to turn our multi activity day at the Crazy Bear into a long weekend.
The hotel is easy to find from the M40 and staff were friendly on arrival. Our room was clean and well equipped (safe, iron and board, hairdryer) but not spacious. Still, we had not planned to spend all our time in there. The shower was fine although the bath took 20 mins to fill up!
The health club was great - clean and good gym facilities. The steam room was cold but apparently it is always like that and a member showed us his trick of putting ice on the thermostat to get it heated up again! There were plenty of loungers to use by the pool side (not always the case with hotels hosting spa days).
Our main gripe was with the food prices - on all previous stays at Q hotels, there has been a clear difference between the restaurant and bar menus, because you don't always want a three course meal and sometimes a club sandwich and fries is enough. The restaurant was ok, although some seating felt like being sat in a corridor. The food was pleasant enough but, as we weren't on a DBB option, we still had to pay the equivalent price as all meals were £5 for starters and £16 for mains.
However, the bar had the same food at virtually the same price but without any real atmosphere; it was a bit like an airport lounge. The dining areas in this hotel are not as cosy as other Q hotels, but nor are they contemporary modern areas either. If we could have we would have eaten out but didn't want to drive anywhere after a long day and
I had no luck with the hotel Wi Fi (connected fine) but could not watch a movie.
Strangest moment was being told by more than one member of staff that the only way to the tennis courts was through a wedding party in the conservatory! Good tennis courts by the way.
We would stay here again if we needed to be in the area

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear familyholidaymakers,
Thank you for your review; I'm pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your observations regarding the bar and restaurant dining facilities and menus. I share all guest feed back with the team here so that we can improve our guest's experience.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here in April for a family party, which was also held at the hotel.
My children aged 3 & 7 shared a twin room which adjoined our bedroom.
Rooms were spacious, spotlessly clean & well maintained with a good selection of beverages.
Staff were extremely helpful; breakfast was delicious with a good selection of English/ continental choices.
All in all a great stay & the fact that there was a swimming pool & tennis court to use just added to the children's overall enjoyment.

Room Tip: Try & get a room at the back of the hotel where the views are great overlooking the tennis court...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Nms43,
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your family party and stay with us; thank you so much for your comments. Given our beautiful and central location, we find that many families get together here and I'm glad that yours went well and that the children enjoyed the leisure facilities. I hope that you'll come back and stay with us for your next occasion!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel last Sunday to Tuesday 17th June, we were so disappointed when we arrived. The Hotel grounds were shabby, rear gardens could have done with a good sorting out, in the bedroom which looked like any travel lodge equivalent, the bulbs needed replacing and the shower head was almost totally blocked. How does this hotel keep its four stars, we stay in four star hotels quite often and this one really did not come up to the mark. I ordered an iced coffee in the bar and the girl had to get her manager to make it. Having waited for at least 15 mins I finally went up and asked the girl where my coffee was, she was doing something on the computer and my coffee was sat on the side, who is the priority here, me the paying guest, or a member of staff!!!! I did however find the food to be good and enjoyed the two dinners we ate but did not appreciate the lady in the restaurant shouting out that because we were dinner b and b we could only have £26.00 worth of food before we had to pay!! So no we will not be staying at that hotel or any of the other ones in that group. Training the staff needs to be done.

Room Tip: I have a tip, book a room in another hotel!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lubell

Dear Lubell,
I'm so sorry to hear that your stay with us failed to impress you. Would you mind emailing me your name and room details and I'll look into the issues you experienced? I hope to hear from you again soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My friend and I were very disappointed with our spa day. When we arrived no one knew what was going on. (I was later told a member of staff had not turned up). There were no robes and we were told that lunch was at 12. However, at the restaurant we were told to come back at 12.30. When we did have lunch we were in a ugly room at the back and there was a buffet of food slowly going cold. The food was not fresh or healthy and it was like being in a school canteen with only water available to drink.
Once we got robes and towels we went to the pool area (very small) and sat in the steam room but there was no steam! The special shower by the pool did not work. There was no toilet paper in the loos.
We were on a package to get 4 half hour treatments each and they agreed that we could merge 2 together to get hour long treatments. They ran out of consultation forms but once we got started I had a wonderful massage and my nails painted. My therapist commented that the vanish was difficult to work with but it was ok. However my friend's manicure was a disaster. They ended up taking the polish off as it was so bad.
I was not prepared to pay for both of us and when I spoke to the manager she didn't charge at all and was very upset that we had had a bad experience. I don't know if we were just very unlucky, and many of the staff we dealt with were helpful and friendly but I certainly would not recommend this spa.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Julian W, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Ruth F
I am sincerely sorry that your spa day with us fell short of expectations and would like to assure you that you didn't experience our usual high standards of customer care and attention to detail on this occasion. Jenny Bjart, our Spa Manager, as you mentioned, was upset that your day hadn't gone to plan and discussed your visit with me. We'll be contacting you under seperate cover to discuss this further with you.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This looks a grand hotel from the outside and checking in at Reception in the large foyer with smartly dressed staff buzzing around, certainly inspires trust in the Q Hotel Brand. We have been members of the Breakaway Club (Q Hotels Members) for a few years now and have been impressed with the Hotels we have stayed in, so when we were given Key Cards to our up graded room we had high expectations.

As we walked to our room, first along bright corridors and sprawling conservatory's, the route narrowed and the walls became more marked, The room was about the furthest point from reception and although large, was surprisingly disappointing for an upgraded room. The Bed was lumpy and uncomfortable, the chairs tired and stained, the furniture was old and the Bathroom as basic as it comes with plastic shower curtains.

Before Dinner we decided to try the extensive Leisure facilities and after signing in (and buying a pair of shorts) we headed for the changing rooms. Again the Hotels age was beginning to show and the cleaning regime needed some management. This theme continued into the Pool area with the Swimming Pool looking very dirty and the Steam Room unclean (and not working when we arrived). The Sauna was the one seemingly clean and operational area.

Time for Dinner but getting a table in the Restaurant was impossible (not because there were no tables) because a coach Party was commandeering all the restaurant staff. We were offered a table in the Bar and the choice of the Restaurant or Bar Menus to choose from and much to our surprise, some items (described the same) were cheaper on the Restaurant menu the Bar menu! Dinner was good but not great and afterwards, a walk around the extensive grounds was very nice and better kept then the Hotel itself.

Breakfast was again good but not great and nothing to set it apart from other bland hotel breakfasts.

A extensive refit would make this place a winner.
Location: 4
Presentation: 4
Bed comfort: 3
Bathroom facilities: 3
Cleanliness: 3
Soundproofing: 4
Food: 3

Had a little nibble - give it a B
Had a little steam – it needed a clean
Had a hot shower - curtain on my bum
Had a lumpy bed - sheets a bit shabby
Had an ok breakfast - a bit grubby
Had a nice welcome - needed a room....