“Rename it to Sorry-Hotel”

The Spread Eagle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Thame
Thame, United Kingdom
“Rename it to Sorry-Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Should be called Sorry-Hotel. Ten sorries during breakfast, including for a fire-alarm , caused by a "bad-toaster". Lots of loud traffic from 06:00 onwards and a very bad shower. Still charging the full 110 GBP.

Room Tip: Refuse room 26
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Maarten K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Turkish first
Poole, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Spent one night in this hotel in their suite which was due for refurbishment. However they wanted £140 per night which we managed to get it for £90. We were looking forward to a nice warm shower and head fir a curry. Turning on the shower to find it tepid and a mere trickle! Bath it was to be with no cold in!
The following morning looking forward to breakfast we were half way through cereal when hot breakfast arrive so it was placed next to us......hence it went cold!
All basic running of an establishment which is expected by guests paying this kind of money!
Glad we didn't pay £140!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Skateypoo

Travellers are raving about these Thame hotels

Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Myself and my partner stayed in this hotel over the weekend of the 8th February for a wedding, and we have a lovely stay!

The rooms 34-38 (family were staying in ones either side of us so we had a peek!) have been newly refurbished and the beds are lovely! The staff were helpful on check in and it was all quick and painless. The rooms were VERY hot at first but we quickly turned the radiators down to our preferred temperature. The shower was lovely, although I am not particularly keen on overhead ones myself. We had all the normal additions to the room, a wardrobe, tv on the wall, kettle, teabags and biscuits, complimentary shower gel and shoe shiner! The food at breakfast was lovely on both days, if at times service was a little slow on the part of the waitresses. It doesn't seem that communication is their strong point between the waitresses and the cook, as my full english wasn't exactly as I'd ordered it; I had replaced a few things. But the food was good so I was happy!

The hotel put so much effort into making the wedding one to remember and so we are grateful for that!

Room Tip: I only know that rooms 34 - 38 have been newly refurbished!
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

WHAT A TURN AROUND. This Restaurant gone from the bottom of my list to the top of my list. it is now the best in Thame. By a long way the food is amazing, my girlfriend and I and a few friends had dinner here an it was such an amazing night. my girlfriend had the slow roasted lamb shank she said she has never had a lamb shank as good as that in her life fulling from the bone and the gravy was so rich and amazing. I had the pie (steak &ale) soooooo good rich beef filling, I would of paid more for this. our friends say they loved there food too. Duck,chicken, steak also whole rack of rib was amazing. we all will be back very soon. this hotel / restaurant as a very good chef and I hope he stays around for a long time.

More people should eat here very good pieces and amazing food.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Ipswich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Upon arrival we were first allocated room 5 on the ground floor. We were not satisfied with this room as music playing in the bar could be heard and the room was tired and gloomy. We (grudgingly we felt ) were then allocated Room 8 which we reluctantly decided would have to suffice. When we came to book out we were presented with a bill of £7.90 for ‘changing rooms’ – As we were pressed for time I did not stay to argue but I was VERY unhappy.
Now let me detail to the shortcomings of Room 8:
1) Dowdy and old fashioned decor.
2) Carpet old and patchy. Curtains old and dull.
3) Electrical bulbs in several fittings did not work.
4) The wardrobe doors were stuck closed – we managed to prise open using a spoon as no key for the lock or handle could be found.
5) Smelled disgustingly of ‘furniture spray polish’ throughout.
6) Picture hooks on panelling above bed but no pictures.
7) T.V. situated on luggage stand – moved for convenience.
8) Bathroom shaving light did not work – Reported but was not repaired!
9) Bathroom was VERY hot – thermostat control had been broken and did not work.
10) The shower here is the VERY WORST that I have ever encountered in over sixty years of visiting hotels throughout England, Scotland Wales and the rest of the world.....There was the merest dribble from the shower head and absolutely NO control over temperature at all.
11) Very old fashioned shower screen which had been fitted upside-down and looked awful with manky rubber fittings. Sink taps which took several turns to get to work.
12) Tired, scruffy bath and panelling
13) the photographs of rooms and food as portrayed in the advertising bear no resemblance to that which we experienced, I shall be sending a copy of this letter and complaint to them concerning these issues as well as requesting a refund.
Also we overheard several other guests express their concerns over the issue of having to pay extra to park – redeeming the fee at the bar was not possible against the drinks I had ordered therefore redemption went begging.
Unfortunately I also have complaints about the food:
1) The fixed meal menu was very limited.
2) My breakfast order of eggs Benedict was awful – the poached egg was hardboiled and the sauce was like sludge.
3) My partner’s Scottish oats was like a dish of cement.
4) Next morning I ordered ‘bacon, sausage and a fried egg “SUNNY SIDE UP”....’ hoping I would get a decent breakfast – when it arrived the waitress saw that the egg yolk was broken with yolk spilling out all over the dish – ‘Is this all right?’ she enquired: My options being a)Send it back and let the better part of the meal go cold awaiting a new fried egg b)Accept the breakfast as another failure of this Hotel to uphold any semblance of high standards....What kind of chef or cook sends out a breakfast plate with sub-standard items? YOURS!!! I merely shrugged my acquiescence of the situation.
I respectfully requested that theyreimburse me for the £7.90 ‘Room change’ charge as we were not told this would be applied when we changed rooms.
STILL WAITING WEEKS LATER.

Room Tip: Don't change room they charge you....don't park they charge for that too!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pwazza
GeneralManagerThame, Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Sir

Thank you for your review. I have replied to you personally explaining the issues that you have highlighted. As mentioned the 7.90 you were charged on check out was not for changing rooms but for a glass of wine and a pint of real Ale that you enjoyed in the restaurant. I am sorry you have felt the need to post a negative review on trip advisor but as mentioned to you in the email i sent, we thank you for highlighting areas that you feel need improving and your points have been actioned.

Kind Regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

I booked a room at this hotel via a Deals site and when i phoned to book my double room i was told there weren't any available on this date but if i paid another £20 i could have a "Deluxe" bedroom. I accepted this and to be honest with you i wasnt expecting too much.
The check in was very easy and we were told we were staying in the "A S Suite" which sounded promising so off we went to our room.....when we opened the door we were gobsmacked to find that we in fact had a 2 storey suite that was the size of a small house! The downstairs room consisted of a suite of furniture, a fridge and 2 patio doors that went into the garden and the upstairs was a very large bedroom with the usual furnishings and large bathroom. It was very well decorated and we thoroughly loved staying here (my only qualm was that as we were only there for one night we wouldnt be able to utilise all that this suite offered)!
It was a lovely decorated room and the only downside was that the water pressure in the taps and shower was so weak it more or less dribbled out.
As part of our deal we were entitled to a 3 course dinner (on a set menu) which we had no complaints on.....it was lovely but the breakfast in the morning left a lot to be desired. We both got to the restaurant at 8.30 (they finish at 9.30) and when we finally got served our breakfast (15 mins later) the black pudding was inedible (you couldnt get a knife through it where it was so tough and crispy) and the rest of it wasnt too far behind. We got about 5 slices of mushroom and 10 baked beans :-(
I can honestly say that apart from the breakfast we would def stay here again and have no other complaints about it. The place is modern and pleasant as are the staff!! :-)

Room Tip: Im not too sure how much the suites are on a normal day (i was on a deal) but if you can afford it t...
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel with two other couples on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The reception area is obviously newly refurbished in what I suppose you would describe as an art deco style. I'm still not sure if I liked it or hated it! We stayed in rooms 5, 10 and 15, the latter of which had been redecorated to a good standard, although the headboard was just resting loosely behind the bed? Our friends paid an additional £20 to stay in this room. Room 5 was off the alley between the hotel rooms and the bar and dining area. There were 2 windows, only one of which had net curtains, so the curtains had to be constantly closed. As mentioned in other reviews of this hotel - it is obvious that several rooms (including 5 and 10) are sorely in need of refurbishment. The furnishings are in a dated finish, with far too much wood in realtively small rooms, and are very oppressive. Room 10 bizzarely has a bed that folds up into the wall. However, on a positive note, the bar and dining area are brightly refurbished and the staff there are extremely polite and friendly. We had a limited dinner menu, probably because of the deal we were on, but the food was good. Breakfast was enjoyable and well presented.

We tend to do quite a few of these DBB deals, and the standard of hotels varies hugely. I would definitely say this one is at the bottom of that scale in many ways. However, in view of the well prepared food and the attitude of the staff, a very dreary hotel turned out to be a reasonable stay. Lynne, Chris & Friends, Cheltenham & Swindon

1 Thank Lynne W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thame
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
The Peacock
The Peacock
#1 of 1 in Henton

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!