“Still to be completed!!”

The Spread Eagle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Thame
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed as part of a promotional package - 2 nights with breakfast on two days and dinner on one. The delightful and helpful receptionist was given the task of sorting out what has to be considered as poor management. Our allocated room had a fold down bed with a good 9" gap between the wall and the end of the bed. Not good enough so we were shown another room, larger but with poor furnishing, a smallish TV, and with some wallpaper starting to peel in the bathroom. The carpet was threadbare in places. However, it was spotlessly clean and the only alternative was a smaller, refurbished room at the front of the hotel, overlooking the main road. This was refused because of the likely noise and we took the older room.
Dinner was reasonable except the main course was served complete - everything on the plate - so you ate what you were given. They do that in cafes.........but for all that the beef was good!
Access to the dining room is not straightforward from some rooms but that can be a difficulty in older buildings.
Breakfast offered a good choice and the service was both helpful and friendly. In fact the staff are the star performers in this hotel.
Then there's the decor! The hotel has some history as a building (It would have been good to have been told of its' age and style), but where it has been refurbished, you either like it or not. The feeling we had was that there was an attempt to give it a modern twist on a Georgian theme. Well, if you like silver painted chairs......
Car parking is at the rear of the hotel and it costs £3 for 24 hours against which a free coffee or soft drink can be had in the hotel bar.
Because we had the benefit of a package it made the cost bearable against the standard, but the usual prices are such that I would expect something much better.

Room Tip: Ask if the room you are given has been refurbished.
1  Thank OppidanCardiff

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We were on a deal with room and meal included (set menu) and for the cost I would say it was reasonable. However - if you are looking for somewhere 'special' this isn't it. We were 'upgraded' and the room we were given was on the stairs (noisy) and with a lovely view of the air conditioning!

The hotel has clearly tried with décor downstairs but it really doesn't fit into what is a beautiful old building. The room was comfy enough, and we slept ok, but for an internal bathroom with no windows black tiles and black floor (and minimal lighting) could have been more thought out. The glass beaded light shades and mirrored bedside tables again just don't do justice to the character of the building. Anyway, that's a personal thing and other than an old stain on the carpet the room was clean. The shower worked - hot water and ok pressure but nothing more special than a normal power shower. The bath plug leaked water so your bath slowly emptied when you were in it!
Food - we had the set menu. I expect from other reviews the a la carte menu is probably better. We ordered pate (came in a massive slab) and fishcake which was huge - big enough for a main course. Had pork belly (rubbery 'crackling') and roast beef (with deep fried or so it seemed, rather than roasted potatoes.) Was looking forward to desert but the 'dark and white chocolate cheesecake' appeared to have lost the chocolate somewhere - the 'dark' chocolate section was a very light chocolate colour and no taste of choc - the biscuit base was kind of soggy and either under cooked or not quite un-frozen enough. The wine was good though £19.50 for a decent bottle of red.
So, nice enough but not one to put on the list of special places. A shame as it is a nice building. There were simple things that they could have done to improve - for example when we got there at 3.30pm the 'good morning please wait to be seated sign' was up by the entrance of the restaurant area. The leaflets in the hotel guide were for the autumn-winter season 2013. The valentines day meal board was still up out the back of the building (a week after valentines). The ice bucket on the bar was just full of melted water and a few cubes floating for the time we were there. Just small attention to detail that would have made it seem more loved. And really for the sake of £3 for 24hrs why not just make parking free for guests?! Oooo and if you do go - the odd pictures of goats in the bar are very random, check them out!

Room Tip: From other reviews it sounds as if some rooms have been refurbished - maybe ask for them.
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Should be called Sorry-Hotel. Ten sorries during breakfast, including for a fire-alarm , caused by a "bad-toaster". Lots of loud traffic from 06:00 onwards and a very bad shower. Still charging the full 110 GBP.

Room Tip: Refuse room 26
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Maarten K
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Spent one night in this hotel in their suite which was due for refurbishment. However they wanted £140 per night which we managed to get it for £90. We were looking forward to a nice warm shower and head fir a curry. Turning on the shower to find it tepid and a mere trickle! Bath it was to be with no cold in!
The following morning looking forward to breakfast we were half way through cereal when hot breakfast arrive so it was placed next to us......hence it went cold!
All basic running of an establishment which is expected by guests paying this kind of money!
Glad we didn't pay £140!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Skateypoo
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Myself and my partner stayed in this hotel over the weekend of the 8th February for a wedding, and we have a lovely stay!

The rooms 34-38 (family were staying in ones either side of us so we had a peek!) have been newly refurbished and the beds are lovely! The staff were helpful on check in and it was all quick and painless. The rooms were VERY hot at first but we quickly turned the radiators down to our preferred temperature. The shower was lovely, although I am not particularly keen on overhead ones myself. We had all the normal additions to the room, a wardrobe, tv on the wall, kettle, teabags and biscuits, complimentary shower gel and shoe shiner! The food at breakfast was lovely on both days, if at times service was a little slow on the part of the waitresses. It doesn't seem that communication is their strong point between the waitresses and the cook, as my full english wasn't exactly as I'd ordered it; I had replaced a few things. But the food was good so I was happy!

The hotel put so much effort into making the wedding one to remember and so we are grateful for that!

Room Tip: I only know that rooms 34 - 38 have been newly refurbished!
Reviewed 11 February 2014

WHAT A TURN AROUND. This Restaurant gone from the bottom of my list to the top of my list. it is now the best in Thame. By a long way the food is amazing, my girlfriend and I and a few friends had dinner here an it was such an amazing night. my girlfriend had the slow roasted lamb shank she said she has never had a lamb shank as good as that in her life fulling from the bone and the gravy was so rich and amazing. I had the pie (steak &ale) soooooo good rich beef filling, I would of paid more for this. our friends say they loved there food too. Duck,chicken, steak also whole rack of rib was amazing. we all will be back very soon. this hotel / restaurant as a very good chef and I hope he stays around for a long time.

More people should eat here very good pieces and amazing food.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Upon arrival we were first allocated room 5 on the ground floor. We were not satisfied with this room as music playing in the bar could be heard and the room was tired and gloomy. We (grudgingly we felt ) were then allocated Room 8 which we reluctantly decided would have to suffice. When we came to book out we were presented with a bill of £7.90 for ‘changing rooms’ – As we were pressed for time I did not stay to argue but I was VERY unhappy.
Now let me detail to the shortcomings of Room 8:
1) Dowdy and old fashioned decor.
2) Carpet old and patchy. Curtains old and dull.
3) Electrical bulbs in several fittings did not work.
4) The wardrobe doors were stuck closed – we managed to prise open using a spoon as no key for the lock or handle could be found.
5) Smelled disgustingly of ‘furniture spray polish’ throughout.
6) Picture hooks on panelling above bed but no pictures.
7) T.V. situated on luggage stand – moved for convenience.
8) Bathroom shaving light did not work – Reported but was not repaired!
9) Bathroom was VERY hot – thermostat control had been broken and did not work.
10) The shower here is the VERY WORST that I have ever encountered in over sixty years of visiting hotels throughout England, Scotland Wales and the rest of the world.....There was the merest dribble from the shower head and absolutely NO control over temperature at all.
11) Very old fashioned shower screen which had been fitted upside-down and looked awful with manky rubber fittings. Sink taps which took several turns to get to work.
12) Tired, scruffy bath and panelling
13) the photographs of rooms and food as portrayed in the advertising bear no resemblance to that which we experienced, I shall be sending a copy of this letter and complaint to them concerning these issues as well as requesting a refund.
Also we overheard several other guests express their concerns over the issue of having to pay extra to park – redeeming the fee at the bar was not possible against the drinks I had ordered therefore redemption went begging.
Unfortunately I also have complaints about the food:
1) The fixed meal menu was very limited.
2) My breakfast order of eggs Benedict was awful – the poached egg was hardboiled and the sauce was like sludge.
3) My partner’s Scottish oats was like a dish of cement.
4) Next morning I ordered ‘bacon, sausage and a fried egg “SUNNY SIDE UP”....’ hoping I would get a decent breakfast – when it arrived the waitress saw that the egg yolk was broken with yolk spilling out all over the dish – ‘Is this all right?’ she enquired: My options being a)Send it back and let the better part of the meal go cold awaiting a new fried egg b)Accept the breakfast as another failure of this Hotel to uphold any semblance of high standards....What kind of chef or cook sends out a breakfast plate with sub-standard items? YOURS!!! I merely shrugged my acquiescence of the situation.
I respectfully requested that theyreimburse me for the £7.90 ‘Room change’ charge as we were not told this would be applied when we changed rooms.
STILL WAITING WEEKS LATER.

Room Tip: Don't change room they charge you....don't park they charge for that too!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pwazza
GeneralManagerThame, Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Sir

Thank you for your review. I have replied to you personally explaining the issues that you have highlighted. As mentioned the 7.90 you were charged on check out was not for changing rooms but for a glass of wine and a pint of real Ale that you enjoyed in the restaurant. I am sorry you have felt the need to post a negative review on trip advisor but as mentioned to you in the email i sent, we thank you for highlighting areas that you feel need improving and your points have been actioned.

Kind Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thame
The Swan Hotel
Mercure Thame Lambert Hotel
The Oxford Belfry
The Oxford Belfry
#2 of 2 in Milton Common

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!