“Meh... Very tired hotel”

The Spread Eagle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Thame
Madrid, Spain
“Meh... Very tired hotel”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Booked this as a travel zoo offer. Should have been £89 but when I called to book I ended up having to pay £20 extra for a 'refurbished room' as the standard weren't available. "Refurbished" obviously means some new wallpaper but that was all that could have been new - the carpet was old and worn, the window frames were filthy, there were a couple of blankets thrown over two stained, grubby armchairs and the room (and especially bathroom) was dark - the mirror light only worked if you pushed it. The corridors were particularly bad; very old carpet, worn through in places and smelling of damp. For £89 I suppose I wouldn't have complained - the dinner and breakfast weren't bad (although nothing amazing - nicely decorated restaurant at least) but I did resent paying the extra money for a 'refurbished' room. As my husband said: 'if this is refurbished, I'd hate to see a standard room'. We were put in Room 30.

1 Thank BritinUSA6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Perfectly situated to explore the attractive market town of Thame. Famous for its oversize inn sign right outside it is full of character. Parking is £3 a day but that includes a pot of excellent coffee in the small but comfortable lounge area in front of the bar. The room, mainly the bathroom , was a little tired. However it was large enough and very clean. The bed, a foldaway! was quiet comfortable. The decor was interesting, having a kind of modern / baroque fusion. Our evening meal was good and the breakfast very good. All the staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient, Oveall an excellent place for a 1 or 2 nighgt stay. Superb value on a deal.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I've stayed at the Spread Eagle twice now. The first time was disappointing, as the grand appearance of the exterior and the reception areas made the tiny and very dated room I was given even more of a let down. However, on my next visit I was put in a ground floor room at the back of the hotel which had french windows opening onto a walled garden area. This room was very acceptable.
On both occasions I had booked as room only, but I was upgraded to bed and breakfast each time. The second time I asked the receptionist and she just added it with no problem. Always nice to get a "free" extra! Breakfast is good with both continental buffet items and cooked to order hot food. Very large portions - my Eggs Benedict would easily have fed two people and it defeated me.
Staff are friendly and helpful and the location is perfect for people travelling without a car like myself, as it is right on the main road through the lovely market town (village?) of Thame. I thinks it's a bit pricey all the same, as the interior needs a lot of freshening up in some of the corridors and bedrooms. In fact, I tried to book there again and found it was even more expensive so have had to book elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter. Ask for a larger room if you are given one of the pokey ones!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed at the Spread Eagle Hotel last weekend – 8/9 March. We were a party of 2 couples travelling on a Travel Zoo package. The hotel has a large car park with a modest £3 charge for 24 hours, so that you car is safely away from the main road. We found the staff to be extremely pleasant and helpful. Our room was lovely, No 38, Garden room that was very spacious and French doors opening to a small lawned area with a couple of chairs, great night’s sleep with no noise whatsoever. The weather was really nice and we found ourselves sitting outside on the Sunday morning having a cup of tea in glorious sunshine before breakfast. We found the food to be good and plenty. The hotel decor itself is very quirky, with unusual and great contemporary design pieces and furniture. Shower could have been a bit more powerful, but apart from that, no faults. Definitely recommend a stay here – make sure you ask for a refurbished room as some of them are not. Thame is a lovely town with loads of pubs and shops in a great part of the country.

Room Tip: room 38 is great, completely private and un-overlooked. Very quiet.
1 Thank 914JulesR
Essex
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Spread Eagle Hotel in Thame. We went away with friends on a deal. My friend had contacted the hotel ahead of time to ask if we could have rooms in the quieter area because of reviews she had read on Tripadvisor and we were allocated rooms 34 and 38, which are garden rooms. We had room 34 and I think it's one of the nicest hotel rooms I've stayed in. The bed was very large and comfortable, the bathroom had a lovely roll top bath and shower - fab! Our friends were equally happy with their room. There weren't any hairdryers in our rooms, but we just asked at reception and they brought two along for us straight away.

Dinner in the hotel restaurant was included in our deal and it was delicious, service very attentive. Breakfast in the morning was also very good. I loved the decor of the hotel, thought it was very stylish and nicely done. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Spread Eagle to anybody, we loved it. Well done!

Room Tip: Garden Rooms 34 & 38 are very nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Staffordshire
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel on a two nights deal with Travel zoo last weekend based on previous reviews being a bit mixed wasn't expecting too much. How we were proved wrong ,from the minute we checked in we were really pleasantly surprised. Our room 34 had been refurbished and was large and tastefully presented and in a really quiet part of the hotel. The first warm spring sun was shining so we went to explore the delights of Thames 13 pubs before our dinner in the brassiere in the hotel later that evening. The Restaurant and bar area is clean, modern and decorated with quirky furniture. We enjoyed a 3 course meal as part of our deal I must mention that drinks are very reasonable in the hotel bar ,we had the cheapest round here than in any of Thames pubs. Breakfast both mornings was very good good choice of cereals, juices and fruit etc and Eggs Benedict and smoked salmon and scrambled eggs made a welcome alternative choice than a cooked English
breakfast. All the staff were very pleasant during our stay the General Manager Ergul was in particular very courteous and friendly and obviously took pride in the running of the hotel. Car parking is at the back of the hotel and costs £3 for 24 hours but you can have a soft drink or tea/ coffee hand in the other part of your ticket to redeem. Would we stay again? Most definitely really great hotel in a fantastic location plus we need to visit the other 5 of Thames pubs that we didn't manage on this occasion 8 out of 13 wasn't bad though.

Room Tip: Upgrade your Room we stayed in no 34 and it had been refurbished was s great size and had French doo...
3 Thank Claire2771
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed here on a travelzoo weekend deal. Our room was nice although a little small. Good location, right on the high street. Nice walks in local area too. The hotel was clean and the staff were very attentive. I also left my iPhone charger and a scarf behind and this was posted to me the same week.

The food was lovely. We had a set menu, but the quality was good. Buffet style continental breakfast and full English was superb!

• Stayed February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thame
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
The Peacock
The Peacock
#1 of 1 in Henton

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!