The Spread Eagle Hotel
US$60
Travelodge
US$132
US$126
The Oxford Belfry(Milton Common)
US$112
Agoda.com
Hartwell House(Hartwell)
US$306
US$280
All reviewshigh streetfrench doorsset menupatio doorsgroupon dealcold buffetlovely townlovely hotelwedding receptionboth morningsbreakfast was excellentbed and breakfastone night stayfull english breakfasta lovely staylovely roomtown centre
Reviewed 7 August 2010

This hotel has good and bad points. We stayed here as it was near to a wedding that we were attending at Notley Abbey. Building work was going on in the car park. The check-in was efficient. The room was nicely prepared and the character that an old building brings - wonky door frames etc. Fabulous. The room appeared to be recently decorated to a good standard and was adequately equipped. The bed was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was large and recently tiled/refurbished. Someone is trying hard to improve this place.
The hotel is right in the centre of Thame and a couple of the rooms at the front ( like ours No 15) overlook the high street. As there is no air conditioning you have to leave the windows open at night. The main street was very noisy in the morning and I couldn't sleep past 6 am. I did overhear another guest who was staying at the back hotel complaining due to continual noise in the plumbing system - "The worst night ever" but this is hearsay. The breakfast was ok but service was a bit on the slow side and (call me old fashioned) but I don't appreciate waitresses in jeans and T-shirt.
Overall I feel this hotel is in a great location but overpriced. I wouldn't book a room at the front of the hotel. If I were staying in the Thame area again I would not rush back here but would try a village inn on the outskirts.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Checked in for one night due to a business trip / dinner in the delightful market town of Thame.
I had used this hotel previously on at least half a dozen occasions. During the past few months, the Spread Eagle has been going through a major refurbishment programme which incorporates almost every part of the hotel - bedrooms, corridors, restraurant & bar - even the Reception area has been transformed.
With this in mind, the member of staff behind the Reception Desk on checking in, advised me that I would notice that the decorators were in the midst of stripping and replacing the wallpaper in the corridors on the way to my bedroom.
This was fine as I had been forewarned.
I was allocated a room at the front of the hotel (Number 28), overlooking the High Street. There is no air conditioning system in this old building which originates from the 15th Century. Therefore, on this warm summer's day, the secondary glazing windows were open but the bedroom remained rather hot and sticky.
The bedroom itself was comfortable - good bed, quality duvet & pillows. However, on moving one of the comfy chairs towards the small desk facility, it became obvious that the carpet had not been properly vacuumed - underneath where the chairs are normally located. Also, the mugs and the spoons on the complimentary tray had not been effectively cleaned / washed. These factors diminished my initial positive reaction that the recently refurbished rooms looked great.
Furthermore, the en suite shower room - also recently upgraded - had a few rough edges. The sink is the size of a lunch box and far too small to be practical in any way. You cannot top up the kettke with water due to the size of the sink. A plastic cup was provided on the shelf adjacent to the sink area. The "power shower" intermittently cut out with the temperature flunctuating as a result of this. The WC seat loosened from its fittings. This is a pity because, at first sight, the shower room looks super but once you settle in to the room, the faults begin to emerge.
Breakfast the next morning was fine. The quick drink in the Bar the night before was also a pleasant experience.
The Spread Eagle Hotel really does have a bit of a "snagging list" - just like a like a new house and if these problem areas are rectified, it could return to the level of fine reputation it once commanded.
The hotel was once home to one of England's most famous inn-keepers, John Fothergill. How would he react to the Spread Eagle now, I wonder?

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
GeneralManagerThame, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2010

As a direct result of our guests feedback we have been reviewing some of the fixtures and fittings within our new bedrooms. Since this guest stayed we have removed the small sink and replaced it with a new model that allows kettle filling and teeth brushing to occur without any hindrance.

Any maintenance issues identified within our rooms that are brought to our attention during a guest's stay are rectified as soon as possible by a member of our team. The issue commented on with regards to the shower and toilet seat have since been rectified.

Reviewed 11 April 2010

We paid £100 for a room which was outdated, had peeling wallpaper and stains in the bath. The website is very misleading, our room was not refurbished like some and felt more like a 3 star hotel which would have been fine but for £100 we were expecting something a lot better. We didn't see the refurbished rooms which might be fine, check before you book. The breakfast was ok, rubbery eggs Benedict but strong coffee. The staff were friendly.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Stayed on a Sunday night. Was lucky enough to be allocated one of the reburbed rooms, which was nice, although I wouldn't want to pay the rack rate advertised on the hotel's own website. Stayed at this hotel a year ago when they must have recently started the refrub, and a year on, they don't seem to have made much progress. I gather about a third of the rooms are complete and there is a new reception desk, but otherwise the public areas/corridors are in a poor state of decor. However, I can see the potential and if you get a refurb room at the right rate, I would happily recommend this hotel. The location is perfect - right in the cente of the high street and within very easy walking distance of several good pubs, restaurants and shops. In particular, there is a fabulous Indian restaurant just a 3 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank meg987
Reviewed 16 December 2009

What a awful hotel it smelt of damp everywhere and my room was full of the damp the bathroom was dirty and the bath had green stuff growing from it. The toliet seat was broken. The receptionist was most unhelpful when I ask for a remote control for my TV i was told they just didn't have any and that was that. The restaurant stuck of grease and damp mixed into together. I stayed here on my own and was stuck in a dark corner of the hotel in a room that was musky and horrible when asked to be moved i was told no. I would not stay in this hotel if I was you.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business