“Comfortable, friendly - just right”

The Spread Eagle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Thame
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Always a friendly welcome from the staff at this lovely old coaching inn. The buildings are full of character so don't expect identikit rooms - each one is different and often charming. The refurbished rooms are well appointed, clean and comfortable - some of the remaining rooms are a bit 'tired' now, hopefully the refurb will reach them all soon.
Breakfast is excellent, good local beer ar the bar and located right in the centre of Thame.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Spread Eagle Hotel

Reviewed 5 January 2011

we came to Thame for the new year for a couple of days with some good friends of ours, & my husband & me told our friends we would book our annual new year trip.you always feel alitte anxious in case you book the wrong thing especially for friends & new year but there was no need to worry at all.we booked in for the 30th & the new year overnight black tie party, & from start to finish it was excellent.the rooms were fantastic,v clean,comfy bed & extremely spacious (hayloft room is a must) the service was v welcoming & friendly.breakfast was delicious,couldnt fault it at all.the black tie party was superb.a fantastic end to a fantastic couple of days.we will definatly stay over again when we visit Thame. thanks for a brillint New Year x

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Having read some of the reviews I wanted to make sure that I got a good room in this hotel so I paid £120 for a luxury double room. What a rip off! I was so convinced that I had been overcharged and given one of the old non-refurbished rooms that when I got home I checked my booking. It said Luxury double room! When I phoned the hotel to check what I had been given I was assured that the room I had stayed in was recently refurbished. I understand this is a listed building but the floor was at a 30degree angle, so when I put a glass of water on the bedside table it slid onto the floor! The room was clean enough but luxury is a total exaggeration. Bottom line: I believe there are some nice rooms in this hotel but I think it's a lottery as to what you get. Paying more will not guarantee a nice room, what you see in the photographs is not standard and getting a refurbished room is no guarantee that your room will be worth the money you pay for it either.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Stayed here one night as attending wedding nearby and got a good deal through LateRooms - were allocated one of the garden rooms and this was excellent - had, I presume, been recently refurbished but contained all that was needed. The public areas looked very comfortable. We were able to access the room from 12.30pm so we could change before going to the wedding. Breakfast was good, and location was excellent - would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2010

I have stayed at the Spreadeagle a few times over the last year as I have an office in Thame and it is in a great location. Every time I have stayed there has been a problem, no hot water in the morning, TV not working, Phone not working, wi-fi not working etc etc but I have put it down to staying in a quirky hotel, however this time I was put in room 1 which is possibly the worst room I have ever stayed in, the room was dirty beyond belief, my duvet was stained and there was hair in the bath. The walls are so thin you can hear everything from the bathroom next door! I asked to be moved but this was not possible. Never again!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Only stayed overnight but will definitely go back. The rooms were spacious, clean and nicely decorated. We were in a garden room which was very peaceful. We ate in the restaurant with our friends and found the food excellent and reasonably priced. The ambience of the restaurant and (small) bar was very pleasant and the staff were polite and obliging. The breakfast was cooked to order and both in terms of quality and portion ranked as the best we have had for many years - a pleasant change from the too frequent hot plate buffet breakfasts! Our friends were of the same view. We think this hotel is a real find.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Its when all does not go well that you test the level of service. For our one night stay, due to no fault of the hotel, we needed to move room at the last minute when the hotel was fully booked, and in the morning had to deal with a car break-in. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and kind. The responses were fast, the assistance professional and the communications faultless. Add this to a great breakfast and a refurbished room that was a pleasure to be in - they get our top marks.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thame
The Swan Hotel
Shillingford Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Shillingford
Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa
Mercure Thame Lambert Hotel

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!