“Breakfast with a friend”
Review of Rumsey's

Rumsey's
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Thame
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Situated in a beautiful Georgian building in the Upper High Street of this historic market town on the edge of Bucks and Oxon, our Thame shop offers plentiful seating, free WiFi, comfy sofas, window seating with a view of the town and a lovely mini-mezzanine which can be used for meetings, groups and parties. Relax and enjoy breakfast, lunch and coffee in comfortable surroundings or select from our wonderful take away menu at any time of the day. Nigel Rumsey's thirty years experience as a Chef and Patissier provided the inspiration and depth of knowledge needed to become a Master Chocolatier of distinction. Nigel and his wife, Mary, opened Rumsey's after being inspired by the film 'Chocolat', their aim was to provide a wonderful sumptuous environment in which to sit, eat lunch, drink coffee, tea or hot chocolate.
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Had scrambled egg and toast for two - egg was nicely cooked but plates were stone cold, as was the toast. Scrambled egg was therefore cold before the toast was even buttered! Not enough butter, which was straight from the fridge. Drinks were adequate, but as the overall the bill was £20 - will not be rushing back. Place was very busy - not enough competition in Thame I suspect?

1  Thank NorthernExile1984
Mary R, Owner at Rumsey's, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Please do try us again, and thank you for the feedback - all your comments have been noted and acted upon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I popped into Rumsey’s whilst Mrs FB2000 was doing some shopping in Thame. The inside is much larger than you would think from the outside and I was able to take a table with a very comfortable sofa. The service was very prompt and friendly and I quick received my Latte, which was huge and in one of those cups you need to use two hands in order to drink from. I also succumbed to taking one of the fudge shortcakes, which was fabulous.

There are plenty of home-made chocolates for sale to take away as gifts ( I think that’s some of my Christmas presents sorted ! ), as well as the sandwiches, pastries, cakes and light meals to eat in. The ice-cream looked very appetising as well but I resisted.

There is free WiFi and my coffee was served with a small complementary chocolate. I think the prices are a little on the expensive side, but it is a nice experience to visit Rumsey’s

The only downside was that I noticed there was a jar on the counter by the till for tips. I don’t think such American practices are required in Oxfordshire !

2  Thank fatbear2000
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I often come here to have a house hot chocolate - which is, quite simply, divine. It is like a chocolate espresso coffee - very thick, in a small cup and served with a glass of water. It is like drinking liquid chocolate! Their cakes and biscuits are delicious, as are their ice creams. The best place for anything chocolate in the local area by far.

1  Thank Lesley M
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I always come in for a coffee or cup of tea and a slice of cake when my son is at the hairdressers. Great service and nice place to sit and chill for a while. Never had hot food here

1  Thank lissiem
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I always visit Rumseys when I'm in Thame as I love the old fashioned decor and dark wood counter. Not an ideal place for a meal as the hot choices are limited but great for coffee and cake. My children love the ice cream. The staff are always very attentive and welcoming.

1  Thank Tizzieox