“Absolutely fine”
Review of Bear Hotel

Bear Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wantage
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Having read some fairly bad reviews on here I was quite apprehensive about my night in The Bear. However, in the spirit of just needing somewhere to drunkenly sleep after a wedding I went for it. I really can't see what all the complaining is about. We had 3 beds in our room which basically meant we were paying approx £26 each including breakfast and I happily had my moneys worth.

Yes there are mattress toppers on the beds but that is just a good idea. They are comfortable. It was clean and the shower was decent.

Yes there was a considerable amount of winding corridors and steps but it's an old building. It's part of the charm and frankly what can they do, knock it all i and start again?!

The breakfast was nice. I wasn't overly disturbed by plastic jugs as some people seem to be! I will say though that yes, the etiquette of the breakfast staff is strange. I requested to not have black pudding with mine and was told I was an awkward customer. I wasn't overly impressed! I would also recommend phoning to check your booking because a few days before I did and they couldn't find ours. The online system had put us in for Thurs instead of Sat despite the fact that we had received a confirmation. The receptionist said "that happens sometimes" which isn't really acceptable and could cause dramas.

However, on the whole I was perfectly happy here. It was a good location, it had character and it is good value.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Bear Hotel

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Wantage is a typical, bustling English market town full of friendly local people and lots of events all year round. At the heart you'll see The Bear. It boasts an award-winning restaurant, great food, amazingly comfy beds and overlooks the traditional market square. Shops are close by, with numerous pubs and cafes to choose fropm if you feel the need to leave the Best hotel in town. There are alleyways and unusual places ( a second-hand bookshop from Heaven) as well as charity shops and lovely countryside a walk away. My only grumble was not enough milk on the self-service tray in the room, so count the number of tea bage etc you need before the bar closes at night.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for one that doesn't overlook the market.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2014

As a local have often enjoyed high quality food in the restaurant but service in the bar last night was more than disappointing. A group of us out - hard to get served and when we were it was grudgingly. Tables not cleared anywhere! Take note management!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank WantageKay
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We visited for an early evening dinner and enjoyed our visit. Both main courses were very tasty and my side of bacon and savoy went well with the pie. I would have preferred a plate rather than a plank of wood to eat my dinner from as neither of the three bowls my dinner came in enabled me to eat the food together. Service was prompt without us feeling as if we were being rushed.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The staff were friendly although the breakfast staff are pretty "eccentric"!
The location is central which is handy but it does mean it's noisy if you have a room at the front of the hotel due to local teenagers hanging about outside the hotel, plus you can hear the music thumping from the local nightclub.
The room was very dated and not stylish whatsoever however it had a tv, hair dryer and comfortable bed. Shame there was only a shower - no bath.
The breakfast was served efficiently and was hot (full English). The juice was very cheap and not very good however.
Our stay was better than I expected having read previous reviews but still not a stay i would rate especially highly. I would have been annoyed if we had paid much over £65 b&b.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Having visited The Bear on many occasions mainly for lunch my wife and I had lunch today (Mothers Day) there and were not disappointed
The food was excellent and as busy as it was the staff excelled themselves with their prompt
and cheerful service
The comments about staying overnight are not great but being a local I cant comment one way
or another suffice to say if you want a good meal when you're in the area make for The Bear Hotel

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The reception at the hotel was confusing as it's at the front of the restaurant, the many staff who slouch around the reception desk gave no indication we were even in the right place until we asked (no welcome and we didn’t realise they were even staff as they were literally hanging around talking to each other). Checked in and went to the room, it was a huge disappointment and it became very clear why there are no pictures on the website. The decor is very old, very tatty and there are definitely absolutely no extras of any sort. I didn’t think anything of forgetting toothpaste but had to make a run over the road to the shop to get some.
On the Friday night we asked for a taxi, I was told that the taxi rank across the road would be the best bet. But after waiting there with some locals who gave us the number of the local firm, we were told that as it’s Friday night we would have to wait more than 45 minutes. The staff (I think it may have been the owner who told me to go across the road) should have known this and booked one for us. If she was smart she would have told us to wait in the bar, where she could have been earning some money off the drinks we could have bought.

We booked quite a few rooms as we are many friends and family that came into town for a wedding. I count myself lucky as having one of the better rooms as they others had extremely uncomfortable beds, 1 with no hot water and 1 with no hairdryer. This hotel lacks any consistency in décor or service.
The breakfast the following days were served by friendly staff who looked a bit unorganised and unable to cope when 3 tables came in at once. However on our last day the food in the restaurant for lunch was great. But again the restaurant staff hang around the reception desk talking to each other and make no attempt to make you feel welcome.
Unimpressed and cannot believe the claim on the website that says it was completely updated in 2010. The only upside was that we managed a discount as we were many people booking most of the rooms for a weekend. Even with discount, I’d say we were ripped off.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melanie M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wantage
Star Inn
#3 of 5 in Abingdon
Manor Farm Bed and Breakfast
Manor Farm Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 1 in West Challow

Been to Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!