“Showing real potential”
Review of Star Inn

Star Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wantage
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The Star Inn is in a small village and not far from Wantage and was an ideal place to stop for one night after working nearby.

The rooms are still a work in progress - we chose the best available (number 8) which is a small suite. There are still a few issues to be sorted as the place is still quite new, for example no soap tray in the shower (which was good), not much embellishment in the bedroom itself but our comments were noted.

The main reason to come though is to eat, the chef has an excellent track record and the menu was interesting and all the dishes we tried worked out well. The let down is the wine list and having looked in advance at the list on-line we asked about BYO which they agreed to. The management are aware the wine list needs improvement and will be taking steps to develop this.

It was a quiet Thursday evening in the restaurant and only two staff on duty at front of house but service was very polished and everybody in the place was very friendly.

This is a place with real potential to improve and the attitude is right to do this. We will certainly return if we are in the area again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have not yet been refurbished so check in advance
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mfranks911

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We went to Star Inn on Friday for dinner and wow we were impressed. Its a little hamlet off the beaten track but well worth the effort of getting there. From the moment we arrived we felt most welcome. As we walked to the front door we were greeted by the gentlemen that runs this place and from then on the service continued, very friendly and efficient staff. The food was also excellent not your average menu some different things but everything we had was delicious. The price we paid for the standard of food I think was reasonable £88 for 3 courses and a bottle of wine for 2. Def a talented chef and my main course especially (turbot) was of equal standard to a michelin star resturant I visited in London recently. Only comment on food was they seem to like millett which was in both my dishes and I was not too keen on that but still enjoyed the rest immensely. Def havent had this standard of food in a pub/restaurant around here for a long time, will def make the effort to go back and def worth a visit if you are in this area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JacMB
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We needed somewhere to stay that was local for an event we were attending and came across this online. The room was super, the Staff were great (especially Mike) and breakfast was delicious. All in all a great stay! Thanks for having us Danni & Josh

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

About 2 years ago this was a scruffy pub and now it is a very plain, but tastefully decorated restaurant which is staffed by extremely friendly young people. If you are happy with quite rich food, some combinations were very unusual but certainly worked, and smallish portions then you have found the right place. We had guinea fowl which sort of worked, it had been boned and rolled up to look like a fat pale sausage and sadly was tough and dry but I would say ten out of ten for trying! Their prices are quite toppy and the wine list, although it has to cater for a wide ranging audience, could benefit from some advice from some professional advice!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were a party of 8 - 4 adults, 4 kids, and managed to get an early evening table at short notice. All our dishes were wonderful - I'd recommend almost any of them. The John Dory was served with millet - very unusual, a little like crunchy cous cous - accompanied with a lemon butter sauce. the smoked eel starter was wonderful, as was the 'crispy pig's head' - not as challenging as it sounds - tender flaked pork in a deep fried coating, a little like spring rolls. Service was very friendly and obliging. The kids' meals were good too. The portions are on the small side, but very stylishly presented and really imaginative. I thought the prices were fair for the quality of cooking.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My family and I have eaten at the Star Inn on quite a few occasions. From my experience it is a distinctly hit and miss affair - unfortunately on most occasions more of a miss than a hit. This is largely down to the serious void between the price (as a meal at the Star will cost you between £40 and £50 a head) the size of the portions and the less than polished service experience. I will at least credit the Star with very good quality food. Based on numerous experiences I must unfortunately say that it is more than likely that you will wait a long time for your food, you might be very surprised at the diminutive portions, frustrated by the very visible conferring between the staff as they decide what to do next and dismayed at the size of the bill at the end of, what could be, a seriously average evening out.

Room Tip: I have only eaten here as we are a local family.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank WantageMan
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was going to call this review 'Star quality', but that would have been a rather glib and silly shorthand for the effort and attention to detail that this establishment delivers.
I rang looking for a room initially, and as they had availability, booked and headed over.
Location is lovely. The centre of a small hamlet, the main bar/dining area has been tastefully decorated in fresh light contemporary style, with a barn immediately adjacent converted into a few very nice rooms. The are not luxurious, but simple and comfortable with Egyptian cotton and fabulously comfy mattress's. Where 'The Star" truly shines,(sorry!) however, is in its dining.
I understand That the chef worked with R.Blanc at The Manoir, I can only imagine they were sorry to lose him as the set menu I chose was sublime.
Crab salad,citrus jelly, fresh pea puree, and peanuts (yes,brilliant!) set the bar pretty high.
Various takes on pork(belly,loin etc) whilst smaller than a la carte portion, was fabulous, followed and then the best treacle tart and citrus cream I believe I've ever had left me driven to write this. When I tell you that this was delivered by an attentive waiter with grace and charm for £19.95 and washed down with Macon Lugny at £25 a bottle, you will question the quality. Don't. this place is perfect. I enjoyed all of this fine dining as an enthusiastic yet untalented foodie wearing a pair of jeans, loafers and a shirt not tucked in. Welcoming ,relaxed,quality. Perfect.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wantage
Sudbury House
#1 of 1 in Steventon
Old Swan & Minster Mill
Old Swan & Minster Mill
#1 of 1 in Minster Lovell

Been to Star Inn? Share your experiences!