“They sound nice people, but terribly disorganised”
Review of Ferryman Inn

Ferryman Inn
Ferryman Inn
Ranked #13 of 15 Witney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I booked a room at the Ferryman five months in advance for a weekend that I knew would be busy, they accepted my booking and took a deposit to secure it.

Two weeks before my stay I received a call to say that they'd mistakenly accepted a booking from Laterooms and therefore had to cancel my booking. To their credit, they found me a place in a B&B instead, but this wasn't suitable due to my circumstances. They promised to look again and call me back, but never did. It took me nine more phone calls to get through to the Ferryman again as the phone is seldom answered, only to be told when I did get through that they still had nothing for me.

I am now left one week before my booking with the only alternative options available in the £200+ range, three times the price.

Whilst they sound very nice, the level of service is just not on. Why bump someone who's booked five months in advance in favour of Laterooms at the last minute; surely I have a contract as much as the Laterooms guests do? The owner offered to make a contribution towards the difference, but the principle is simply wrong.

I look forward to receiving my deposit back in the post. Fingers crossed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Joe B

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We booked through late rooms as this was really the only place with a room for Blenheim Flower show dates (now we know why!). Our room was not ready when we arrived at 3.45pm although the place was not full. The breakfast is mean - orange juice (pre poured) box of cereal and toast. We were told on arrival we had to pay extra for cooked breakfast which must be ordered the night before - news to us as we had understood breakfast was provided. The shower room is very small - my husband fixed the toilet seat as I read other guests have done previously. We stayed in room 8 which had a pleasant outlook however Saturday night we heard a lot of noise from downstairs (?skittles) to late at night. Sunday morning we went downstairs to breakfast and the door to the pub part at the bottom of the stairs was locked. All guests were locked out of breakfast until 8.50am - we were told the owners were "running late".
I wish I had read the reviews on this site before we booked - I wholeheartedly agree with Peter G (Sept 2013). The overall impression is nice location (if you don't mind the access up a very long lane - the Sat Nav takes you to the other side of the water and there is no ferry anymore - the pictures are old). The owners need to understand the importance of customer service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Lovely Thames location & good for walkers.

The owners & staff are very friendly & made us feel welcome.

We booked a double but got a twin room. The beds and towels were clean & tea/coffee was provided in the room. Our shower was broken & so had to hand hold the shower, temperature was either very hot or very cold & the water pressure in the sink & shower wasn't very good. Our friends who stayed in other rooms didn't have a problem with the water. Rooms are pretty dated (despite modern tv & free view), and there was mould around the windows and in the bathroom.

We had a few drinks in the bar which was busy with what seemed liked a good local trade & a good atmosphere.

Continental breakfast is cereal, juice & toast.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I agree with everything commented on by my partner in her review (Lindy048) but wanted to add a few other views.

I fixed the toilet seat - but should I have had to? I think not!

I shower at a lower temperature than my partner, and found it ok as with more cold water it worked reasonably well. but I never got more than luke warm water out of the basin hot tap.

Clean (some cobwebs in the corner above the TV) and comfortable although noise from adjacent rooms might be a problem as although we seemed not to have anyone staying overnight next to us, the evening was punctuated by people talking nearby and the next door shower fan was extremely noisy. Reasonably well decorated, but beginning to show that some tlc and tarting up was appropriate in places.

Wi-Fi router worked well but would not allow connection to the Modem and had been apparently reported the night before. Irritating at the time but no big deal unless you are a business man and had need of it.

If you had taken a cooked breakfast (no problem about this as we were told it would be extra), the room charge was quite high in comparison to others we have used in the area, and not really good value for money.

We had dinner in their restaurant. Again a pleasant location although the window frames were in need of some work, with a nice view of the river and pleasant waitress/barmaid. Reasonable pub-grub, well cooked and a fair price, as was the house wine.

Lovely location and could be a good deal better with a little thought - a bell on the door would be a help in winter as they do not open until 6.30 and of course it is dark at that time until the clocks go forward!

I'd go again if necessary, but only a partial recommendation to others.

Room Tip: Not sure about that!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert T
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We were walking the Thames path and so this was a convenient place to stay right on the path. We arrived and the place was deserted. We were lucky to bump into the cleaner just leaving at 4pm and she called the landlady, who was very friendly and who led us through lots of doors and passages to our room. We had a good view of the carpark which was a pity as we were the only people staying there at the time and a room overlooking the river would have been nice. The room was clean and fairly comfortable but the bathroom left a lot to be desired. The toilet seat nearly catapulted me onto the floor as it was broken and the power shower had no power. The hot tap in the basin was luke warm after being left to run for at least 10 mins. There was no room to swing a cat in the bathroom. I had to ask for a hair dryer which was provided but it was old and battered but I was told that at least it worked. The landlady was helpful and friendly and provided us with fresh milk for tea and told us that the 'continental breakfast' was included but if we wanted a cooked breakfast we would have to pay extra. She explained that that way they could keep their prices down. When we got down for breakfast, there was nobody about but there was a table set for two with some cereal boxes and orange juice. We wondered where the 'continental' part was in the breakfast. We ate our cereal and still nobody was about. I had to call in the kitchen to see if anyone could make us some toast and tea and eventually the landlady arrived and provided us with toast and tea.
We also had dinner there and I had to change my choice three times as they didn't have what was on the menu.
It is in an idyllic setting and I think so much more could have been made of it by just improving the service. The landlady was very pleasant and helpful but I think the experience could be much better with a little more thought on the needs of the customer.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a decent size bathroom.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lindy048
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Just one night here, but would definitely return. The menu looked nice even though I didn't eat (Id arrived late). Good cooked breakfast. Excellent room overlooking the river and free wifi throughout. Good beer on handpump too

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My son and i were walking the Thames Path and needed a place to stay overnight in this location. Choice was limited, so despite reading some negative reviews we made a booking through Late Rooms. I followed other review advice and checked our booking, directly with the hotel by email. They had received our LateRooms booking and we were given the twin bed, en suite room as requested. The landlord, landlady and staff were pleasant welcoming and willing to chat. Although the bathroom was quite small, the shower was hot and powerful. The bedroom was well appointed and clean. We had a comfortable night's sleep. There were four real ales on tap and we managed to find quite a good one to help wash down our evening meal. Considering the cheap prices of the evening menu we rated the food as good overall. We elected to just have the Continental Breakfast, as advertised on the booking. Whilst fairly standard in quality, we did have fruit juice, cereal, croissant, with unlimited toast and fresh coffee. Good value for the price in a picturesque location right on the Thames Path.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family