All reviews pork belly scotch egg mini bar high street visiting witney warm night central location breakfast was included lovely room stayed for one night nice atmosphere cooked to perfection comfy bed a lovely stay full english both nights main building
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I am not local but have visited a number of bars and restaurants in Witney and have been to the Blue Boar 4 times. Firstly, I am surprised and disappointed that the management of this establishment feel it necessary to install doormen/bouncers on the door in the evening - this gives the wrong impression of what I was led to believe was an upmarket hotel and has left me wondering whether they expect trouble from their customers? In the bar area there are not enough tables and chairs and on the 2 Saturday evenings I have visited, whilst the bar has been extremely busy (excellent for takings I know), the bulk of the customers are young and were on those evenings pretty rowdy. This leads me to think that the Blue Boar cannot make it's mind up whether it is a country hotel hoping to attract visitors who wish to spend a relaxing time in the Cotswolds or if it is yet another noisy drinking hole for the 18 to 30's? On my last visit I bore witness to a publicly berating of a member of the bar staff by the manager. It appeared that an area of the bar required cleaning and while I accept that it would be part of the managers job to bring this to the staffs' attention, why was it necessary for her to shout across customers in a manner that I can only describe as bullying, humiliating and utterly unprofessional, causing discomfort to both customers and staff alike?
In conclusion, unless The Blue Boar addresses these issues and ensures that management actually know how to manage, I will, on future visits to what is otherwise a delightful and welcoming Cotswold town, be giving it a miss.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth A
OakmanInns, Public Relations Manager at The Blue Boar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

We are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience at the Blue Boar. We would like to iterate that as a town centre establishment, we employ doormen on a Friday and Saturday night to ensure that customers have a positive experience and to prevent any potential issues occurring. Naturally, this is to uphold our position as a quality, reputable establishment. With the benefit of its town centre location, the Blue Boar is a popular destination for food and drink, as well as being a convenient and luxurious place to stay for business or leisure, proving a well-rounded concept.
We place a significant emphasis on staff training and development, and our people are an asset to our company. We hope to restore your faith in us on your next visit. If in the meantime, however, you would like to discuss this any further, please feel free to call our General Manager Stephanie Fisher on 01993 776353. Kind regards, the Blue Boar team.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

We held a university reunion here. Ten of us, with 6 of us staying over. It was Saturday night and the whole place was absolutely heaving. Bearing in mind how busy the restuarant was, the service was timely and the staff were very good all evening. The food wasn't stellar but was good.

The hotel has recently undergone a major refurbishment and our room was very stylist and well equipped. However, it was a bit cold and turning the radiator up didn't make much difference. My wife was irritated that there wasn't a full length mirror, or a mirror that you could use while drying your hair.

An amazing oversight is no shaver plug in the bathroom. Apart from not be able to charge an electric toothbrush, quite what a chap is meant to do it he doesn't wet shave I don't know!

These were minor irritants that hopefully will be sorted out. Apart from these, a very nice hotel, and particularly good staff.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
OISite, General Manager at The Blue Boar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2017

We understand that this is a particularly historic review, but we thought that we would mention that The Blue Boar underwent another refurb which completed in March this year and, amongst other things, included the addition of air-conditioning to all rooms, improvements to the soundproofing and free wi-fi throughout the venue.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

From the front this place looks like a pub but inside its lovely. Very clean and quiet. What really grabbed my attention was the platform and the open kitchen so you can see what the chefs are doing, the food was very very quick to come out and one of the best meals I have had. Very good value for money too.

1  Thank Hollyshave
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I visited the blue boar after its extensive refurbishment expecting a great experience. This could not be further from the truth. The service to get a table makes you feel as though its all too much trouble and waiting times are nothing near indicated. The deprorable attitide of the manager is beyond belief, including her aggressive nature and intolerence to the staff including shouting across the bar. If I was arriving from a long journey to stay here for a nght I would be extremley dissappointed by the amount of drunks in the bar even early in the night. All in all someone needs to find a new manager who cares for staff and doesnt get drunk herself in the bar before this hotel finds itself back where it was. Lets hope she finds a job in Wetherspoons which would seem to match her skills more closely

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Survey M
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I think it's just been extensively updated to a high standard. Nice mix of old and new. Friendly staff town centre location.

Date of stay: December 2011