“Private function”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Witney
Barry, Wales, United Kingdom
“Private function”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We attended a private party at the Blue Boar. It is a lovely hotel with excellent facilities. Drinks are a bit pricey but the environment is enjoyable. It was a Saturday night so was rather busy. Whitney is a beautiful area with lovely shopping.
We would return to the Blue Boar and stay a night or two.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had tickets to attend a performance in Witney, a place I'd never been to before and knew nothing about. The room rate I got was a bit higher thatn I expected but as the location was perfect to the performance, we booked it anyway. It turned out to be well worth it. Clean, well decorated and modern in warm tones and textures. I know that some in Trip Advisor complain about the heat in summer but for a crips October evening it was perfect. The room's radiator worked quickly and efficiently and we were toasty in no time. Our room faced the High Street but we heard no noise, not even when the market stalls set up the next morning. The bed was comfortable, the linens a nice soft cotton, the bath & shower efficient and for once, I actually prefered the complimentary toiletries to my own - a rare occurance!

We went out for the evening so didn't have food from the restaurant until breakfast the next morning - which to our delight was served until noon, meaning we didn';t have to rush downstairs first thing in the morning. This was a menue breakfast, not a buffet so everythi was fresh to your table, including a good ground coffee. Despite the temptation of delicious offerings like eggs benedict, scrambled eggs with salmon and pancakes with maple syrup, I stuck to a tradtional breakfast and was pleased with the quality items on my plate.

We felt well pampered after our stay. Sometimes paying that little bit extra does make a differnce.

Nearby: We suggest that you don't use the fish & chip shop across the road. Not very nice. Around the corner on Corn Street, we attended a gig at Fat Lil's - a terrific little venue, good stage and sound. I'm looking foward tro keeping on top of their listings for acts that appear there in the future. There was a pizza/burger joint associtaed with fat Lilk's and I really wish we had gone there instead of the chippy.

Nice town to stroll around - lots of Cotswold stone buildings, Georgian architecture and a lovely town market.

Room Tip: Rooms on the high street side are quite with the windows closed but I imagine in warmer weather, you...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JammyWeasel
OISite, General Manager at The Blue Boar Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2017
We understand that this is a particularly historic review, but we thought that we would mention that The Blue Boar underwent another refurb which completed in March this year and, amongst other things, included the addition of air-conditioning to all rooms, improvements to the soundproofing and free wi-fi throughout the venue.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Me and my sister booked a twin room here for 2 nights on a Sunday/Monday night in October. First impressions were great and didn't disappoint for the entire stay. The guy who checked us in took us to our room only to find that housekeeping hadn't set the room as a twin, so he gave us another room for free! That room was amazing, huge oak beams in the vaulted ceiling. The rooms were fantastic, modern with a traditional twist, very comfy! The bar and restaurant were also great, lovely space and very friendly, food was really nice, so nice we ate there on both nights! In the bar area there were lovely large leather sofas in front of a open fireplace, ideal to work our way through the cocktail list!!!! We loved it here and will definitely plan to go back again. Fully recommend a visit here to anyone!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Thanet, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed just one night in the middle of a trip through several counties during September 2013.
Our room was pleasant and well appointed, it was at the back of the hotel so not overlooking the busy main road at the front. Biggest drawback was no onsite parking. We were advised to park in Waitrose carpark which was five minutes walk away, unfortunately due to the very wet and rainy evening my husband did not notice that the area he parked in was for disabled badge holders...so we were faced with a fine unfortunately, the bays were not individually marked so easy to miss that it was for disabled badge holders.
We ate in the restaurant at Blue Boar. The food was good and enjoyable, breakfast was the same.
Nice hotel, excellent location...but watch out for parking restrictions !!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynn H
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Our room was quite clean and nice but the "triple" we requested was a double bed and a fold-out couch...not quite what we were expecting. There's no A/C, and we were there on one of the hottest days of the summer. The had one fan in the room but it wasn't very powerful. We had to sleep with the windows open in the hopes of catching a breeze, so we also had to deal with all of the pub/bar goings-on as it was a Saturday night. I'm sure it's quite nice on a weeknight in October, though. Didn't get a chance to try the included breakfast as we were running late the next morning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank J R
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I had a breakfast meeting here - fairly simple, pain aux chocolat and espresso.
Both were very good and the value was outstanding.
The seating is comfortable and the staff are friendly and unobtrusive.
Great place to drop in for a coffee or a snack.

Room Tip: no idea, didn't stay there
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dakar
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We were going to a party in nearby Ramsden and it was coincidentally my husbands birthday, so I booked back in August thinking it would be quite special. Well you would think that if you went by the website...... I can honestly say that this was by far the worst value for money I have ever had. For £150 I got a small room. no towels, no curtains, no soft furnishings at all - absolutely nothing like the website, I have stayed in better student accommodation.

All this I may have accepted at a pinch but the room was on the ground floor bang next to a recycling bin for glass, 'Overlooking' would be a generous description - more accurately would be to say it was the room was practically part of your not so lovely beer garden, strewn with empty and not so empty glasses and plates, containing lots of noisy tipsy people leaning on and smoking outside my window - which opened just far enough to corral the smoke in but not let it out. The proximity to those in the ‘beer garden’ is so that you can smell customers perfume and hear all their conversation – good if you’re in MI5 spying on them, crap if you want any kind of privacy.

How you can market this hotel as anything other than a very below par motel type place, is beyond the understanding of any sane person. If this is truly the result of a luxurious refurbishment then you have been utterly diddled, and it would only reflect Cotswolds or Oxford if you had lost all of your senses. Absolutely beyond awful. I did not stay – I called around for an hour until I found a far better room for half the money on a little guesthouse around the corner - recommended to another hotelier who said I wasn't the first caller from The Blue Boar looking for to move.

I feel rather uncomfortable writing this, but I cannot imagine a situation where anyone in their right mind would stay at this hotel for any kind of pleasure, it may be functional as some sort of stopover if working in the area, provided you aren’t on the ground floor – but is so far removed from what it’s marketed at and the price point it’s set at that I imagine the majority of people have an issue with it. Your manager, offered me some money off the room but I’m afraid even if he offered it for free I wouldn’t stay at The Blue Boar. I travel substantially mainly for work, and I have never left a hotel because it was so under par, but was galvanised into it by Room 17 at The Blue Boar.

I highly recommend the Corncroft Guest House, in Witney. Beautiful 4 poster bed, beautiful large warren like house, fantastic host and facilities

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank DakarSoph

Travellers are raving about these Witney hotels