“30th Birthday party”

The Blue Boar Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Witney
“30th Birthday party”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I had my 30th Birthday party in the private suite at the back of the hotel back in the beginning of January 2014, It was fab!
The hotel was very helpful & very accommodating in the run up to my event, I always had a quick response & they were always willing to help me in anyway, they defiantly went the extra mile. That includes all departments - chef for the amazing food quality & quantity he put on, Zoe for organising the room at short notice and for the hard work you did on the night, serving cake, sorting out air con, clearing away... And she actually wasn't at work that night so thank you for running around like a headless chicken all night...LOL. And I can't forget Ryan on the bar, he went above & beyond to make sure I was happy & had everything I wanted/needed. He is a great asset to the team.
The room was lovely & a great size with own private bar & entrance, great location being in the centre of town. I would highly recommend their venue & team. They did an amazing job, excellent customer service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
OISite, General Manager at The Blue Boar Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2017
Hi!
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review! We're all so pleased that you enjoyed your 30th Birthday and had a great time - Zoe and Ryan were thrilled you had a wonderful evening...

Pop back to see us all soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I went into the Boar on Monday 24 Feb at 9.37 a.m. I was recommended to go there by HSBC. I asked for a latte and croissant. I gave a ten pound ten. I received change for a £5.0. I protested. The man behind the bar was adamant. I said open the till and we can check . He said he could not do so unless there was another sale. There two if not three subsequent sales. During those sales he refused to check his till. I was now very angry. I went to a booking lady who exhibited little interest. Eventually another man came. Asked my problem I told him. He opened the till again. There was my £10 HIDDEN AMONG THE £5 NOTES. Oh said the first guy there it is. That is ok then. NO APOLOGY Until I forced it out of him. Then I had to wait for 18 minutes for my order. I recommend that NO CASH is used in the pub. No refund.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank ClaudeRains
BBoarGeneralManager, General Manager at The Blue Boar Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I am saddened that a simple mistake on the part of one of my staff has prompted you to write such a cutting review on Trip Advisor. The gentleman who served you does not have English as his first language, indeed he is working in our country to improve his language skills. We have always found him to be extremely polite and courteous with all of our customers, indeed some of them have complimented his service to me directly.
As we are able to see in your review "gave a ten pound ten" we can all sometimes make mistakes, and I'm pleased to hear that his error was completely rectified as soon as it was brought to the attention of a supervisor.

As you were recommended to visit by a reputable high street bank and you will have seen that we are lucky enough to be very busy every day, with guest of all ages, most of whom pay with cash; I hope that you can see that we enjoy a well deserved, good reputation with our guests.
I can assure you that a mistake such as this is very rare; however human error cannot ever be completely eradicated. Bar staff do not have access to open the tills at will and so he was quite correct to fetch a supervisor to do this. If you wish to discuss the matter with me in person I should be delighted to speak to you directly.

Travellers are raving about these Witney hotels

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Popped in on a very quiet weekday with a friend for lunch, decided to sit in the bar area. Had to ask the barmen for menus myself and wasn't even asked if we wanted any drinks. Ordered two Caesar salads and a bowl of fries from the menu which arrived 30 mins later ( how hard is it to make a salad, even more so when it's quiet) the salads were actually very nice but the fries were not cooked enough. I mentioned this to the barmen when he cleared the plates. We then orders two cappuccinos, the coffee is really good. Then we payed! The bill wasn't even going to be given to me, they just mentioned the amount, I asked to see the bill and they were really off with me. They had put an extra coffee on, and the fries were still on the bill. I asked for those to be removed. All in all not very good, and it's a shame because I have been here numerous amounts of times before with groups of friends and it's been okay. All in all very disappointing!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mushka1987
BBoarGeneralManager, General Manager at The Blue Boar Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hi Mushka,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor we take all feed back very seriously. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your Caesar salads and that you think that the coffee is really good but naturally I was disappointed to read that they took a long time to reach you. Having carefully read your comments, I have had a training session with my bar staff and asked them to always present a full bill at the end of a meal. As a matter of course previously a receipt was not presented with a bar order, but payment was taken directly over the bar. To eliminate the possibility of a mistake (as with the extra coffee in your case), I have asked that this procedure be changed going forwards.

As you mentioned that you have had good experiences in the past I do hope that we can welcome you back again soon and restore your faith in our usually good service!
Witney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were looking forward to an interestingly tasty meal... The waiter suggested cocktails..and when my cosmopolitan came it arrived In a chipped glass...not a good start..... I started with Chicken Liver Pafait and Cumquat jam, it was bitter, lacked seasoning and looked liked it had better days..I decided to go for the special of sea bream, crab risotto and scallaps and again it lacked seasoning and the risotto was lacking in crab... There were far too many waiting staff mincing around...perhaps they should pay more attention to flavor..experience was a massive disappointment...

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Susan S
Hi Susan S,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Trip Advisor. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit. You do not mention in your review whether you brought the issues with your meal to the attention of the waiting staff that were looking after you at the time of dining. We always do our utmost to ensure that all of our guests leave happy and satisfied and would have gladly changed or ammended your dish if it wasn't to your taste, I'm sorry if this was not the case for you.

From your review it sounds as though you found the meal under seasoned. We provide salt and pepper mills for freshly ground seasoning on each of the tables and also offer parmesan for our risotto and pasta dishes. Extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar are also freely available so that guests may season/dress their dishes further if they wish. I'm sorry that you found the meal not to your taste, I hope we get the opportunity to restore your faith in The Blue Boar in the not too distant future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We held a party in the garden room at the Blue Boar for my fathers birthday, and hired eight rooms to stay the night. The staff especially the manageress Rebekah and Consuela who looked after us were friendly and very helpful. The decor in this small hotel is very tasteful, the rooms were spacious and comfortable. The food was delicious and to a high standard. I felt that the prices of the rooms and food were reasonable for the quality on offer. We had a great party, and the venue played a significant part in this, so many thanks to the Blue Boar. The only thing to note is that the hotel doesn't have a car park, and you have to drop cases off and then take the car to the multistorey or find on street carparking.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We recently decided to try the Blue Boar, having read good reviews about it and ordered a light lunch. The service was excellent, the food plentiful and delicious and we didn't have to wait long for it. We thought it was good value and I would recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

And I've seen a few! We stayed in the family room which is large enough to accommodate a Romanian village (topical quip) boasting a bathroom as capacious as our social security budget will need to be in 2014 but politics aside; great service, welcoming young staff group and a fabulous breakfast. The New Year's Eve party was worthy of Time Square with a local band who were terrific and the funkiest DJ who must have been beamed up from a 1970s time warp. We are booking in for next year as our first New Year's resolution!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank joethelad
We understand that this is a particularly historic review, but we thought that we would mention that The Blue Boar underwent another refurb which completed in March this year and, amongst other things, included the addition of air-conditioning to all rooms, improvements to the soundproofing and free wi-fi throughout the venue.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witney
Oxford Witney Hotel
#7 of 7 in Witney
The Bull at Burford
The Bull at Burford
#4 of 8 in Burford

Been to The Blue Boar Hotel? Share your experiences!