“Wedding Reception - Amazing!!”

The Blue Boar Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Witney
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My new wife and I had our wedding reception at the Blue Boar on 5th April, and it was absolutely brilliant. The two managers, Rebekah and Ellie (both of whom I think are quite new) are so helpful and really worked hard to make our evening perfect.

We had a cocktail theme and the cocktails they made were delicious, and the food they put on for us was very very good (particularly the scotch eggs!).

I think the reception room they have at the Blue Boar is relatively unknown but it is honestly perfect for this type of thing.

I should just point out that we had a room at the Blue Boar too and that was very good too.

Overall a great experience. Thanks for a perfect evening guys!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
BBoarGeneralManager, General Manager at The Blue Boar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Hi Scott
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review, we're all so pleased you had such a great day and enjoyed the cocktails - we all thought it was a brilliant theme for a wedding and were excited to put it together for you!

I've passed your comments on to the chefs too - they're always pleased to get feedback.

Best wishes for the future to both of you - pop back and see us soon!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

The Blue Boar catered my wedding reception last year. A buffet breakfast for 40 guests, in their private function room to the rear of the hotel, on a Saturday at 10.30 am.

It was superb. The food was plentiful, hot and prompt, and all of the guests expressed their delight.

Several guests also booked rooms for the previous evening and all were pleased with the accommodation provided.

I absolutely recommend the establishment for a small to medium gathering of this sort.

Room Tip: The street in front is very busy, day and night
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi John!
Thank you so much for leaving your review! I'm really pleased that you had a great time on your wedding day, I remember it so well as it was such an unusual idea but also a fantastic one!

We really appreciate you taking the time to review us, pop by and say 'hi' when you're next in Witney!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Looks very imposing from the outside, but public areas dreary. Spartan freezing room with broken heating was readily exchanged for a warmer one. Excruciatingly loud music in the bar made a quiet drink impossible. Din went on very late night so made sleep impossible until the early hours. Peculiar take it or leave it breakfast. Nothing on display - had to ask for orange juice and cereals. No choice of cooked breakfast - it just appeared, about 40 minutes after ordering, on a large plate swimming in grease. Whole place very downmarket. Front of house staff pleasant and polite.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RebekahYork
OISite, General Manager at The Blue Boar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2017

Hi Rebekah
Thank you for leaving your review on TA. I'm really sorry you didn't feel able to bring the issues that you mention to my attention either at the time or when I checked you out of the Hotel when I could have addressed them personally. I'm pleased to hear that we sorted the problem with the room swiftly and moved you to a more comfortable room. You don't elaborate as to why you find the public areas 'dreary'? They are well maintained and impeccably clean so I can only assume that as they are contemporary in style, they are not to your taste.

The Blue Boar underwent another refurb which completed in March this year and, amongst other things, included the addition of air-conditioning to all rooms, improvements to the soundproofing and free wi-fi throughout the venue.

We are a busy town centre hotel and bar, licenced until midnight, after which all music is stopped immediately, I'm sorry that you found this disturbing.

We have introduced a breakfast buffet which is on display and proving very popular with our guests however this is only a recent introduction so my apologies that it had not started when you stayed!

This is in addition to the full menu which is given to every guest for breakfast allowing their choice to be cooked to order. As well as a full English, there are other favourites such as Eggs Benedict, Eggs Florentine, French Toast, Black Pudding Hash and Porridge as well as six types of juices, fruit teas, espressos, pastries so I'm a little confused as to why you mention there was no choice?

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff, they work very hard and I'm pleased you found them to be pleasant throughout your stay.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

It was Wednesday April 9th and apparently the 1st day of a new menu card. This should not be a major issue for a well run restaurant. My initial observation was that the sole waiter on duty when I arrived had far too much to do. He remained cheerful throughout and was later joined by an additional colleague (Spanish lady?).
They say "everything happens in threes" and so it was on this evening. I shall elaborate:

1. I ordered a bottle of wine from the wine card because it looked interesting....Sangiovese from Chile. I had never tried this grape variety before. Unfortunately it turned out that the wine was in fact from Italy and did not match the description of the wine on the card. The waiter apologised and offered me the 1st glass on the house which was appreciated but I would have liked to have been able to savour the wine on the card and anyway if this was not available that fact should have been pointed out to me!
2. the special offers card said that I was entitled to take the whole bottle of wine if I ordered two large glasses i.e. I would only be charged for the 2 glasses. The waiter brought the bottle but when I asked for the bottle top I was told that I could only take the bottle out of the restaurant if I was a guest at the hotel. Something to do with the UK off licence laws I was told. I have no wish to break the law but I think you need to point this out to guests at the outset. My problem was that I was NOT staying at the hotel and being on my own I was not planning to drink an entire bottle in one evening! Never mind.
3. My 1st course (gravad lax on the menu but it was not gravad lax as I know it) was tasty. For my main course I ordered the Duo of lamb. This came without the spinach and chilli mash so I was served just meat and potatoes. The lamb was tasty. I didn't ask about the missing vegetables because then that would have been the third item of complaint and I was anyway quite tired at this stage and didn't feel like complaining. Perhaps you had run out of vegetables? It was around 9.30 by this stage I think.

I had a dessert (apple pie and ice cream) and the bill came to £36 which is quite a lot when you consider there was only 1 glass of wine in there. The price/experience ratio was not good. I have had some good meals at the Blue Boar previously so I will just say that last night's experience was not a typical experience but I think you need to tighten up on a few points. I had the impression last night that corners were being cut and that you were hoping the client wouldn't notice.

Mark Lewis, Valspar Witney

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark L

Hi Mr Lewis,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a comprehensive review on TA. It's only through feed back that we continue to make improvements to service and the overall experience.
I'm really pleased to hear that you thought the new menu was 'tasty' we've had some excellent comments that are in agreement with this! The lamb is proving extremely popular, with the spinach normally mixed into the mash so I'm unsure why this wasn't the case on your meal. Our waiting staff are all trained to check back to make sure that the meal is to your satisfaction so I'm saddened that you didn't feel you could bring this to the attention of your waiter as it could have been easily rectified, however I do understand that you didn't feel like it at the time.

I'm sorry about the confusion regarding the wine, it sounds like a breakdown in communication for which I apologise.

I hope that we see you once again when our service will return to the usual high standard!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Recently returned from a one nights stay at this hotel which I must admit completely filled it's purpose. Cosy beds, good food and a good choice of beers. Apart from the lack of parking (which is not really the hotels fault) I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hi DGJones
I'm really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and feel that you could recommend us! Our town centre location does mean that we don't have our own car parking but we are lucky to have plenty of free parking close by.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I booked in for Mothers day Breakfast for 7. This is the first time I have been back since it first opened due to terrible service and rude waitresses.

being breakfast and getting there for 9:30 I would of thought it would have gone smoothly, but no. After ordering we had to wait 45 mins For our food to come out and it all came out at different times & different portion sizes. I just couldn't believe it! the chefs really need to sort their act out! The food was yummy but also came out basically cold, they forgot our champagne which was part of the mothers day breakfast! Overall still disappointed it hasn't changed, will not being going back again!! there are much better places around Witney that do a far better job!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Temps89
BBoarGeneralManager, General Manager at The Blue Boar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Temps89
I was saddened to read your review and am sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit. Having had a detailed conversation with our Head Chef, if you would be kind enough to contact me directly via blueboar@oakmaninns.co.uk marking it for the attention of the General Manager, I would like to work with you to ensure that you are satisfied with the outcome.
Once again please accept my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Greeted by a smiling face and a warm welcome, I instantly fell in love with the place. The room is of the highest standard, and I have had possibly the greatest night sleep ever whilst here! The food and mainly the chef's need to be commended for some of the finest food ive ever eaten. The staff will do everything in their path to make your stay amazing, and I cant oversell this place enough.

If i am ever in the Oxford/ Witney area again I would not hesitate in coming to the Blue Boar for food and to stay the weekend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Hi IeuanBeal,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a glowing review on TA. We really do appreciate your comments, I've passed your remarks onto the Chefs and our Waiting staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Boar the next time you are in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Witney
Oxford Witney Hotel
Old Court Hotel
Old Court Hotel
#7 of 7 in Witney
Travelodge Burford Cotswolds

Been to The Blue Boar Hotel? Share your experiences!