Given it's stunning riverside location, The Rose Revived could and should be fantastic, sadly it is not.
Most of the failings have been mentioned in other reviews, but I'll just add a couple of observations of our visit:
- the infamous "queue" is ridiculous. I've never come across a place where you have to queue in one place to order drinks and food, pay for food, check in/out of your room, etc.
- I'm not sure if it is really understaffed, or whether the staff just aren't utilised properly - the assistant manager seemed to be doing most things - apart from perhaps managing the other staff!
- our waitress in the garden was not particularly attentive. She brought our starters, but there were no knives on the cutlery/condiment table. We asked for some, but she didn't come back for about 15 minutes, but which time I'd eaten my pate using my bread. She didn't actually give us any knives (or an apology for the time it had taken her to come back), but just put a pile on the table. She then brought our main courses out, although we hadn't finished our starters!
- it was a warm evening and we sat outside which was lovely, apart from the fact that only one of the lampposts worked so it was a bit dark!
- in the morning, we could see that the seating area outside was quite unkempt. There were weeds in the gutter, old pots left outside the door, etc.
There is not one major problem, just lots and lots of minor things which could easily be addressed and would make a huge difference.
The overall impression is of a establishment that is desperate need of some thought and TLC. It really is a missed opportunity. .
The management could perhaps take a trip to the nearby Trout Inn at Tadpole Bridge to see what they could aspire to.
Such a shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rural Location next to the Thames west of Oxford We have extensive Riverside and patio Dining fully stocked bar and a great menu, Cosy Log fires in the winter ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your The Rose Revived Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Rose Revived Hotel Witney
- The Rose Revived Inn Witney, Oxfordshire