“Quite acceptable for a short stay”
Review of Old Court Hotel

Old Court Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Witney
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I found this place quite likeable; there was parking, we could come and go all night and day, it was quiet and the staff were helpful. This isn't best place I've ever stayed in but it's far from the worst. Me and my girlfriend stayed over for one night and were relatively happy with room 6 with the cows on the wall - it looks out over the courtyard rather than the road. I've read the reviews below and it seems some people have had worse experiences but this hotel is kind of what you'd expect; it's not luxury but its not a run-down dive, its somewhere in between. The only problem I experienced was the bathroom smelled a bit like the sewers had gone, but we just closed the door! However, Witney is a lovely place to visit with great pubs and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Old Court Hotel

Reviewed 1 August 2011

Could not agree more with previous comments. The website is a total misrepresentation of the experience you will have.

1) Rooms overlook an extremely loud and busy road and the room we stayed in shook when big vehicles went by, Becuase the window was paper thin it could not be opened and the room was baking hot. Could not sleep at all

2) Lost a morning's photography becaause the "car park" was a joke. No room and boxed in and could not get the vehicle out until other guests woke up.

3) Staff didn't provide any answers except we had to speak to the management to get answers and they never materialised.

In short one of the worst places you could hope to stay at. We paid £85 a night, I woukld not have paid £8.50.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MistertheTrixter
Reviewed 27 July 2011

parking a nightmare, if only we were told about free parking over the road on the first night.
landlord told us he washed his hands over it (parking)!
we had a room at front - if the single-glazed window opened we could have touched the lorries thundering past, shaking the bed as we tried to sleep. We should have been warned about possible road noise as the hotel? is on a double mini roundabout.
Kettle cable not long enough to sit on dressing table - very dangerous.
bed was comfortable but far too big for the room.
would not stay again

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank nigelgreenwayfarm
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I would rather have slept in car than have paid to stay here. We stayed for 2 nights. After seeing the room i was disappointed but thought i could deal with holes in my sheets and even bigger holes in the towels. I had already informed the owner that we were on a time scale in the morning and needed to leave by 8.15am to get to friends. On arrival the bar manager/hotel manager (a thai chap), informed us he didn't serve breakfast till 8.30am which i was surprised at. I did explain that i had informed the owner of my situation but the manager said i would have to talk to his boss when he arrive that night. The manager was rude, sarcastic, has no customer service skills and obviously has a problem with the female sex speaking there mind or complaining. Julian (the owner) did offer to make us breakfast, and did the first morning, which was lovely. But after a hard night "working/partying" in the bar the night before failed to turn up the following morning. If you have any standards at all, do not book! they want the money up front so they can give lousy service and then get aggressive when you complain! i would rather go to a B&B or stay anywhere else than with these rip off merchants.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FrenchFancy033
Reviewed 10 July 2011

we were visiting a friend in witney-got into room and were making tea,kettle was too big to fit into minute sink-kettle cable was not long enough to reach dressing table top which had lots of cup rings on, had to put kettle on floor.Mirror had to be moved from a dark wall at end of room with no lighting ,to a chair by window to see to put on makeup etc.Table lamps not plugged in so had to search behind the headboard for cable (dusty fluffy).No spare plugs for trouser press or hair dryer without pulling out plug for telly or kettle.
Bed was very comfy had good sleep but the quilt cover was inside out and had a hole the size of my l fist at bottom.shaving mirror in bathroom was approx 7 foot up wall had to look into space to see anything-good as useless, we had a nice breakfast-staff were friendly but our registration form was left on view for the whole of afternoon for all to see.All of this cost £75.00 which we had to pay in advance.Old Court Witney get a grip if you want return visitors

Room Tip: just ask for best room for £75.00 quid they should be good
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I couldn't believe it, after reading great reviews on late rooms, we arrived after a long days hiking, to find a hotel that is very tired and definitely needs upgrading to even meet basic standards. The bathroom was so tiny, the toilet seat was broken and fell off, the shower door fell off, the handtowel ring and toilet roll holder was rusty , with a very noisy toilet cistern,the walls were paper thin too. The only good thing, was we had a nice thai dinner, but there was only us and a couple of others dining on a Saturday night, why ? We would never stay here again, also we had to pay up before we even arrived, so we could not change our mind once we saw how bad it was. BEWARE .

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SHARYNC5
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Booked this last minute after finding a lot of the hotels locally were full. The website looked good, but very decieving. The hotel is very tired, and in need of refurbishment. My room wasnt partcularly clean and had a horrible smell which disturbed me as I laid in bed. The dividing walls are paper thin and anyone using the the bathroom at night adjacent means 15 minutes of extractor whirlling away until the overun timer times out.
I was also dissapointed to learn that I had not only been charged for my room, but my colleagues as well (they had taken it from my credit card at the time of booking) and then charged me again for another night for me an my colleague two weeks later, which we hadnt even booked. They then made excuses why they couldnt refund straight away and caused me no end of chasing and checking with my credit card company. Part of the problem I think is that for the host, english was not their first language and there was some difficulty in understanding.
Having said that, the breakfast was pleasant enough, albeit basic.
My advice would be however, only use this hotel as a last resort.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witney
Oxford Witney Hotel
The Blue Boar Hotel
The Blue Boar Hotel
#6 of 7 in Witney
Travelodge Oxford Peartree Hotel

Been to Old Court Hotel? Share your experiences!