“Relaxed approach”
Review of Old Court Hotel

Old Court Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Witney
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The car park is very very tight however with some very careful manouvering I managed to get into space 3. A very relaxed approach to the feel of the operation - more akin to staying at a friends house. Room 10 was accessed up a darekend stairwell - couldn't find the light switch and to be fair didn't ask at a later stage - a light on a sensor would be great.One of the walls needs to be re plastered and re painted - not rustic charm more like in need of re decoration. If you are showering / changing in daylight you will need to close the curtains as you are overlooked by other rooms.The bed was comfortable and the bathroom functioned as it was supposed to. There are the usual shampoos and condiotners provided in the bathroom.

Juice - cereal provision was basic at breakfast however the full english (no choice of times offered) was tasty and well presented. Coffee had been standing for some time so didnt drink - the only fault with breakfast.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I think this a hotel of two halves, clearly many people have a good stay in a nice room, but unfortunately this wasn’t our experience.
On a positive, the Thai restaurant was excellent, both the food and the cost. Breakfast too, was good. The four poster bed was lovely and extremely comfortable and the room was clean. The proprietor was also attentive and helpful.
On a negative, our room was less than 6 foot from an extremely busy and noisy main road. By 6am it was impossible to sleep and every bus or lorry made the bed shake. This was not helped by the fact the room only had single glazing. Having checked the hotel website and were looking forward to a newly refurbished room with superior bathroom. The room in fact was very tatty, paintwork was in serious need of attention. The door looked insecure and like it had been jemmied open on several occasions which wasn’t very reassuring. The bathroom had cheap sanitary ware, the shower only dribbled and it was actually impossible to stand under. The bath panel was broken, over applied sealant looked gruesome. There wasn’t even a towel rail, or glasses to put your toothbrush in. We were very disappointed with the room we were given, especially at the price.
I'm not a person who has ever given a negative review before but on this occasion I have no alternative.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BizzTB
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife & I spent two nights here in the past & enjoyed are stay with julian & his staff & two
Wander fall unapossing beardies . Last week we stayed again and have felt after hearing
Of the reviews on here I have to write & say haw sad sume people are . Julian has worked in this industry for a long time & worked hard to achve what he has doun to theis astablishment
Yes the car park isn't great but hay he will always turn any cars arand for guests. He has an worm open style of service and will help in anyway he can . The rooms are very clean and comfortable we stay in different room both times & love room 12 . He sits down with us & shares a glass of wine & suggests items on his Exallent Thai menu which is better than most .
Tik & sommi are very lovely chef & wife & cook to order . Wo do recommend you stay here as
Yor not a number & treated like a frend .....
Gladly stay again .
Mr & miss miller

Room Tip: Room 12 is the one ..
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had a birthday dinner there last week, because Julian, the owner donating a bottle of Champagne, we decided it was best to stay the night, We were given a room, number 8, it had a 4 poster bed, as was clean and beautifully appointed, we slept well, and were given a cooked breakfast the following morning. The cost of evening and stay, were a pleasant surprise. We had before only used the Old Court for Sunday lunch, which we do on a regular basis, which is a carvery, and excellent value. We have no hesitation in recommending the Old Court Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for number 8
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pilgrim18
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My partner and I stayed at the old Courtin room 1 the four poster and had an amazing weekend, the room was lovey, and very clean and tidy, plenty coffe available too for the mornings if like me you need a kick start.

The reastuant is fabulous the Thai menu is to die for and if we lived within regular driving distance we would most certainly be regulars - we were going to eat out in Oxford one night and Julian happlily recommended a restaurant there bt after the first evenings meal we decided you couldn't better what the hotel offered so we ate in again - so glad we did too.

Julian went out of his way to make us feel welcome and was very professional and friendly. He even moved our car for us !! not saying my partner cant drive but you know !

Would have loved to see more of the dogs but Julian did say that they are put out of the bar is there are guests who are not comfortable with them, very considerate I think. I however would have been to relax by the fire some more with the pair of them at my feet.

Would certainly recommend and we will definitely be back - soon I hope.

Thanks for making my birthday, see you soon

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank djames148
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed at the Old Court Hotel a few weeks ago. I needed a nice, wuiet night away from work and a chance to unwind and forget. It was fantastic!! Me and my girlfriend arrived late at about 9pm, was sat down straight away with fantastic service and placed an order. It was lovely sitting by the fire with a glass of wine and a lovely atmosphere. Food came out after about 20 minutes which was stunning also.

After the meal, we ordered a few more drinks and sat with the owner Julian Bones. We sat for ages talking about various different things, laughing and haveing banter. after we had eaten desert, and finished our wine we went to the bar and had a few drinks with julian and a few locals. Was really good fun laughing and joking!

Me and my girlfriend stayed in a lovely room with a huge jacuzzi bath.

In the morning we went down for breakfast, again, were lead to the restaurnt and sat down for a fantastic full english breakfast. Was a fantastic get away and i will be booking it again anaother nights stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gino C
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel as we were visiting friends in the area, we booked room 8. The hospitality that we received was 2nd to none with nothing to much trouble.

We decided to stay for dinner and the food was what can only be described as excellent - excellent service and excellent value.

the room was extremely comfortable and I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witney
Oxford Witney Hotel
The Blue Boar Hotel
The Blue Boar Hotel
#6 of 7 in Witney
Travelodge Oxford Peartree Hotel

Been to Old Court Hotel? Share your experiences!