“Lovely dog friendly pub”
Review of The Harcourt Arms - CLOSED

The Harcourt Arms
Price range: US$20 - US$31
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hereford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely dog friendly pub”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Visited today - this was our second visit and was just as good as our first. My husband is disabled and has trouble walking but they were helpful with opening doors and moving chairs. We have two greyhounds and they were made very welcome. A chair was moved and a dog bed appeared for them to lie on. They were even given a dog treat each.
Just after we came in, a party of about 6 or 8 people came in and placed an order. We ordered after them and were expecting a longish wait - however, the kitchen staff were very efficient and we didn't have to wait long before our food came. It was fresh and hot and well presented. My husband said it was worth it for the coleslaw alone - he ate his and mine!

We will certainly be visiting this pub again when in the area.

• Visited November 2013

Hemel Hempstead
“Very friendly and food excellent”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stopped at 2.15 - they stopped serving at 2.30, but didn't make a big deal out of it, and made us feel very welcome and comfortable about ordering food. Landlady came and sat and had a chat. Only had a Panini, and it was excellent.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank J C
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Unhappy”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

While on holiday with friends we went with our children for dinner. There is no child menu so ordered them a pizza each at £9. All the children disliked them and when I took them back uneaten I was told it must be their taste buds. We were not offered an alternate meal for them or a refund. Harcourt arms = hungry children and ripped off parents :(

• Visited July 2013
Bradford on Avon
“Good pub food and friendly staff”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We hand lunch here last Sunday - a convenient meeting place for family to meet and catch up. Sunday menu offering decent choice of starters and the usual Sunday roast of pork/beef/chicken etc. Staff very friendly and they allow well behaved dogs in the bar area. Fishcakes were a lovely starter, looked and tasted home made as was the Pate and Toast. All main courses were well presented, cooked well and came with a good selection of seasonal greens and veggies. Only downside was that the roast potatoes were a little soggy but everything else was fine. We share 2 puddings between 4 and these were great so all round a good lunch and extremely reasonably priced. We have eaten here before but I thought it was about time it had a review! For good basic pub food - I would eat here again. Good value for money.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank lassfromcoatbridge
Witney
“Good things come to an end”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I have been eating regularly with the greatest of pleasure at the Harcourt Arms for about ten years. I have gone there with individual friends, with family groups and have taken many overseas visitors. It was one of my most reliable and enjoyable places to eat, all the better for being only a few minutes drive away from my house. I was there in late September with my sister, who was visiting me. It felt as if things were not quite the same but we had an enjoyable meal. I have been three times since and each occasion has been steadily worse. I didn't know of the change of management but clearly something was wrong. We were afraid there might have been a family crisis that had taken Jo and Derek away temporarly and didn't want to ask the serving staff, who were as friendly and welcoming as ever. We felt the difference but hoped things would pick up again quickly. The bar is untidier than it used to be and has an uncared -for look. The menus on the bar are getting stained and dog-eared. I don't know how often they were reprinted under the old team but they always looked fresh and the content changed regularly. For the period that they ran the 'early-bird' suppers, these were also astonishingly good value, perfectly cooked and very well presented, just as the items from the main menu always were. No changes on the ageing crumpled menu sheets that I've noticed over the past six or seven weeks and even a basic standard such as fish and chips is poorly cooked now, with an inferior fish, mushy peas (you can have an alternative but why serve this horror at all?), either soggy or overcooked batter and the tartare tastes like a commercial product rather than the old one that I assume was home-made. I'm not a fan of fish and chips in pubs and usually eat from the main menu but at the Harcourt Arms even fish and chips was a pleasure. It is so different now I could weep. Too many good local dining pubs have gone downhill this year after changing hands. We've given it three goes under this new regime and have been disappointed each time. I doubt that we shall ever go back again and I say this with the greatest possible regret. I do hope Jo and Derek, if they've gone somewhere new, will re-create the little miracle they achieved at Stanton Harcourt. And if it's in Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire, will someone please tell me where it is?

• Visited November 2012