“Not quite the FOUR stars I expected ............”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleobury Mortimer
The Crown At Hopton
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Not quite the FOUR stars I expected ............”
Reviewed 8 September 2009

The first thing I noticed upon arrival was that the room (no.5) was rather ‘compact’, the second thing was the absence of a TV. When I went down to report it I was told that they could not quite understand as to why there was no TV in the room but they promised to sort it out immediately. When I went back to the room about an hour later, having had a drink in the bar, the TV still had not appeared and I went back down again and asked what happened to it. They young man behind the bar went off to check and finally came back with a TV, plugged it in and it was fine. It was about 5pm by then and the room and the bathroom felt rather cold so I tried to switch on the heater which was mounted on the wall and supported by two house bricks. Nothing happened, I turned the little knobs and fiddled with the controls but had no joy, the heater stayed cold and so I went downstairs again to report it. Once again I was told it would be sorted out and I went back up and waited for someone to come and look at the heater. My wife wanted to have a shower and get changed but felt uncomfortable about it as the room was too cold by then and surely somebody would come to the room and do something about the heater. Nobody turned up so down I went again to be greeted by a young lady who quite sternly told me that they were aware of the problem with the heater and that they were looking for a another heater to for our room. It did arrive some 10 minutes later and it worked fine.
As I said at the beginning the room was rather small, it contained only ONE chair to sit on to watch the TV, the second person had to sit on the bed with a totally obstructed view as somehow the bed was the wrong way round with the high headboard by your feet and the low end of the bed against the wall making it impossible to watch the TV whilst lying in bed. There was also only one bedside cabinet with a missing/broken handle and which was dominated by a table lamp which, apart from another lamp on a small table by the window was the only source of lighting in the room.
There was a somewhat larger table lamp on a drawer cabinet, but this one was not working and had no bulb in it. The three doors of the drawer cabinet were locked and could not be used and one of the draws contained a broken castor wheel.
I also noticed that the courtesy tray had two cups but just one saucer and that there was only one glass on the small wooden bathroom shelf. There was no other shelf or anything else to place any toilet bags or cosmetics, they had to go on the floor.
The shower cubicle was extremely small and you could not avoid it but to knock the mixer tap when turning round which could be quite dangerous if you push it inadvertently towards the hot water setting.
When we went to bed I unplugged the heater they had supplied as I don’t like sleeping in a warm room but somehow the room did not cool down and when I checked it out in the middle of the night I found to my surprise that the wall mounted heater, which had shown no sign of life before, was suddenly working overtime.
To sum up my experience in room number 5 I would say that this room is not suitable to be used as a double room, it could also do with some attention and needs an urgent make over.
This feedback is purely based on the room allocated to me upon my arrival, it does not mean that all the other rooms at the Crown are like this, they maybe excellent but as I have not seen one I cannot make any comments as to the standards of rooms in general. This would not be fair or just.
The food in the restaurant, there are three altogether, was fine and the prices are in line with the price structure of similar establishments

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Redpumpernickel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Hampshire
Reviewed 2 September 2009

The restaurant and food is good but the rooms vary significantly in quality but are all charged at the same rate.

Our stay was spoilt by the landlord and landlady having their friends over for a meal and drinks which resulted in:
1) the bar feeling as though it was primarily for the landlady's guests
2) these guests staying up very late (after 2.00am) and being extremely loud outside the bar resulting in the noise disturbing at least us
3) given their late finish, there was only one member of staff on duty on the following morning (working very hard and sympathetic) - taking breakfast orders, serving breakfast and also trying to be available to guests wanting to check out. We had to wait some time before she was free - not her fault!!

To avoid this issue if the landlord wants to host his own guests he would be better served closing his restaurant and hotel to outside guests.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ShropshireLad1951

Travellers are raving about these Cleobury Mortimer hotels

South Wales
Reviewed 28 August 2009

We had booked this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was given a good review in The Good Pub guide 2009 and was located in apretty part of Shropshire. When we arrived and wereshown to ur room , we were given a room in the old part of the hotel . We were not impressed to find that it smelt of either drains or damp, the bathroom fittings were falling off the walls , in some parts of the room the plaster had fallen off completely and the toilet seat was broken and needed replacing . The television was so small that my husband tried to move the table that it was on nearer to the bed so that we could actually see thescreen; when he did ,thetable collapsed because it was made of cardboard that hadn't been slotted together properly.
Our evenibng meal was not very exciting but adequate as was breakfast but we decided not to stay a second night. We did complain and the hotel manager agreed the room was sub standard. We were given a small reduction in our bill but it was still very expensive for the service and standard to which we were subjected.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SouthWalesTelstar
Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We stayed at The Crown, Hopton Wafers in February 2009 with a few friends. We found the place very quiet and it lacked any atmosphere. Food was over priced, not very well cooked and the service was slow. The rooms didn’t seem to have any heating and the guests were having to obtain electric heaters from the management to heat their cold rooms. Not a very good experience and we would not return.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vinnie01
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2009

We had an amazing stay at The Crown. It's almost in the middle of nowhere and in an idyllic setting. Our room was a well appointed but modern,with a lovely country twist.
A great tea tray with bottles of still and sparkling water. The towels were generous and soft and there were good quality toiletries provided.
We ate in the restaurant in the evening and have wonderful food. There was a special menu- Two courses for £11.50-not the usual cheap offering, but a well balanced menu to suit all tastes.There was also a menu to choose individual priced dishes from.The wine list was extensive and to suit all budgets and tastes.The breakfast was also very good,with lovely bread for toast. The only thing we didn't like was the sausages-but that's down to personal taste.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Stourport-on-Severn
The Elms
The Elms
#1 of 1 in Abberley

Been to The Crown At Hopton? Share your experiences!