“Lovely cottage in beautiful countryside”
Review of Birches Mill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Craven Arms
Birches Mill
Ranked #5 of 10 Craven Arms B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We rented The Miller's Cottage for a weekend. It's a lovely stone cottage with a wood-burning stove. The countryside around is beautiful, and great for walks. Andrew and Gill, who run the adjacent B&B, were friendly hosts and provided lots of info about nearby attractions.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elysmelys

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Our first visit to Birches Mill and we stayed in the Miller's Cottage for a long weekend while down visiting the medieval Christmas markets at Ludlow. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful and idyllic setting and the cottage was picture box perfect. Andrew greeted us, showed us round the cottage, and was very helpful and friendly. We loved it so much we ended up staying an extra night. We will definitely be returning for a longer stay next time so that we can explore the local area and relax in the comfortable surroundings. Gill and Andrew were the perfect hosts and we left feeling like we were leaving old friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Barleytwisthil
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Superb location in delightful old mill . Have visited at least 6 times over the years and for me just getting here chills me out after a hard week at work. Great hosts, great quiet location, great twin room ,superb breakfast and a wonderful ambiance.Magical!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank P H
Reviewed 22 September 2013

A flying visit to Birches Mill in glorious September sunshine. We've stayed here many times, both in the house and the cottages, drawn back by the spectacular setting, Gill and Andrew's warm welcome, and their delicious food. It's such a pleasure to walk, visit the local (very good) pubs and restaurants, and then relax in the stylish sitting room or sit by the stream in the garden.

The owners have created something very special here, to a standard we've rarely experienced in either our business or personal travels.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Babso_13
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The male who "greeted" me asked if I had a delivery.
Yes I said.
Well what is it
"Me" I said, I'm staying here.
"You never told us you had a ruddy great big van [a Citroen panel] We do have other guests you know. Where am I going to park you????"
What a pompous oaf. He had made an impression about me because I turned up in a van. I found next morning when I left early that there was only 1 other car in their parking area.
I wouldn't go back there ever. The room was small, the bathroom was over the landing, and it was £75.
Overpriced, over self-important and over assumptive. If they'd known who I was travelling with I suspect they might have greeted me a little warmer. That's just the type of person he appeared to me to be.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank G4llovidian
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Our third visit to this lovely and peaceful place - we've stayed each time in the Miller's House which is an attractive (and well-equipped) cottage, at Birches Mill, in a beautiful setting near Clun. (Gill and Andrew have two cottages and also run a B&B here, and it's beautifully secluded and private for all guests) The area is wonderful for walking, with gentle and more challenging routes easily to hand, some can be accessed right out of the door. (We find the peace of Shropshire hugely preferable to the crowds in the Lake District and other spots where you can so often feel as though you are following the person in front all the time!) Ludlow is really interesting to explore and Bishop's Castle has to be one of the nicest small towns in the UK, with quirky small shops including a great bookshop. At Birches Mill, Gill and Andrew are brilliant hosts and can suggest lots of things in the area, and you can enjoy wonderful home cooked meals delivered to your door (specially recommend the fish pie and vegetarian thali) if you don't want to cook or go to one of the lovely local pubs. There's a beautiful garden just for the cottage and the whole place is great for relaxing and unwinding. Perfect for anyone wanting to relax and get away from things, but with lots to do in the area when you feel like it. This is certainly one of the best places we've ever stayed and we hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeoffandRosemary
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Our third visit to Birches Mill because it offers everything we want from a weekend break - beautiful countryside for long walks, a friendly welcome from Gill and Andrew, a touch of luxury (most comfortable bed award), and a spot of "get away from it all". With plenty of fine dining options in Ludlow you can get the indulgence of a top hotel without all the fuss. Must be the best accommodation in Shropshire.
See you next year