“A Lucky Find...”

Ranked #3 of 9 Craven Arms B&B and Inns
Northampton, United Kingdom
“A Lucky Find...”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Looking for somewhere to stay for the Ludlow Food Festival, we’d left it too late to book anywhere in Ludlow and chanced upon The Stokesay Inn in nearby Craven Arms. I have to say that this would not have been my first choice of accommodation; however, we were very pleasantly surprised.
Their only available room was the family room (which sleeps three) but, as I was travelling with my son, this was fine, especially for the very reasonable £75 per room per night. On arrival on Friday morning, the staff were very friendly and helpful – happy to let us leave our car and even giving us the number of a local taxi to take us into Ludlow.
When we returned late in the afternoon to prepare for dinner, we found our room very clean and comfortable; nicely decorated and lovely and bright with dual aspect windows.
We did not eat at the inn as we had already booked a restaurant in Ludlow, but the menu looked quite nice and was very keenly priced. We had a drink in the bar before we left and again were helped to find a taxi.
We both slept very well, although my son did find the single bed a bit lumpy. There was plenty of hot water and complimentary toiletries for a shower in the morning. My only criticism of the bathroom is that the bath towels are a bit small and mirror isn’t very brightly lit.
Breakfast is not included in the room rate and (as we were going to a food festival!) we didn’t try it, although other guests that we saw seemed to be enjoying it.
We didn’t see much of Craven Arms itself, but it’s very handy for lovely Ludlow, with a regular bus service and just one stop away on the train.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Zoe C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Craven Arms, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Great place for excellent Ale, very well cooked local food, the staff are friendly and hard working, Rez is the perfect host.
Since taking on the Stokesay, Tina and Rez have tastefully refurbished the restaurant, Lounge and bar. It is a lovely place to visit.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tom t
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Me and my family have a meal in the Stokesay hotel most weekends, the food is always lovely and the HPA is just as good. The staff are always attentive and very friendly, the managers have done so much to the hotel since they took it over and they have really worked hard to improve every aspect of it. I haven't actually stayed in the rooms as it is our local but I have looked around them and they look accommodating and very clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it's a lovely family pub and we are always made to feel very welcome.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Jayroo0427
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

A tired pub hotel which needs some serious redecoration and refurbishment. Plus points excellent breakfast and friendly hardworking staff. Would I stay there again no I would pay a bit more next time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Nice, France
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I start this by saying the room was clean, and just about acceptable. I knew it was a room in a pub and didn't have huge expectations. We were attending a wedding nearby and it was cheapish.
This hotel is the reason I stay at premier inns! Dirty carpets going up the stairs, tired walls and bleak decor in the room, no bedside lamps just one big one above our heads, so no bead time reading, although I now come to my biggest gripe, we had a room above the pool room, I tell you this as I know all the people by name who were playing, it was so noisy we couldn't sleep.
I know it's not expensive but for 20.00extra I cold have stayed somewhere really nice.
The breakfast is very good, great bacon lovely fresh eggs, they really do need to spend some money on the rooms, or charge slightly less. Only my second bad review so I feel bad, but it really spoilt what was a lovely weekend, everyone else stayed in Ludlow and loved it.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put in room 8 or go down and play pool or stay up until after everyone has left!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
walsall
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Very welcoming. Room clean and beds comfortable. We had an evening meal there which was home cooked, very tasty. Good hearty breakfast, which we would recommend as extra to the room tariff. Staff very friendly. Nice outdoor area to sit and have a drink after dinner.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The hotel is lovely. Our room is spacious and clean. White bed coverings and new furniture. rooms even have new block out curtains, new television, kettle and nice soaps. Not at all like the photos. Would recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 8 in Ludlow
The Longmynd
The Longmynd
#1 of 1 in Church Stretton

Been to Stokesay Inn? Share your experiences!