“Lovely B&B with fantastic friendly owners!”
Review of The Fox Inn

The Fox Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Much Wenlock B&B and Inns
London
“Lovely B&B with fantastic friendly owners!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a lovely stay at The Fox, beautiful rooms with extremely comfy beds and a delicious breakfast served in the morning. The owners were fantastic, welcoming and very helpful - if you're visiting Much Wenlock this is definitely the place to stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ruby57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Called in for lunch saturday everything superb, the new owners have turned place round, it is looking great and very clean and lovely atmosphere food highly recommend, Sarah and staff very attentive, can't wait for next visit when I visit much wenlock

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Mark B
North Wales
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Just had a Groupon two night b&b stay at The Fox Inn in Much Wenlock. We had room 7 which was at the front of the Inn overlooking the road but no noise problem as there seemed to be very little traffic. The room was comfortable and had a bath but no shower facility - which was a shame. The breakfasts were good but there didn't seem to be any choice on offer. The landlord was friendly and informative, giving good advice about local walks. Much Wenlock itself is a smashing little place, full of character with five pubs/hotels serving good ales and food. There is also a very good Indian restaurant called Bilash. All in all a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Room 7 doesn't have a shower.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GazNorthWales
Nuneaton, UK
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Had a super 2 night break at the Fox Inn. Friendly welcome, the hotel has loads of character and the room was cosy in a positive way. Loads of parking and right in the center of Much Wenlock which is one of our favorites.
This time we caught the bus to Shrewsbury after a suggestion from John the owner and chef. Lovely day there and we even had a boat trip - very pleasant!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Got a voucher deal and tried to book through email. Got a reply asking me to phone. Not easy to get through. Made a booking but got no email confirmation. Later needed to urgently confirm dates but no-one answered phone for 24 hours. Finally spoke to the landlord who was really obnoxious and patronising. Also said he couldn't send me an email confirmation as he did not have my email address - total rubbish as he had already replied to one email. I was so annoyed by this and by the poor reviews from wowcher and groupon customers that I decided not to go at all even if it meant losing money because why would you subject yourself to such rudeness? I'm so glad I made that decision.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jammy29
Lytham St Annes
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Had a lovely break after finding the hotel on a Groupon Offer - we enjoyed the pizza and service sat outside in the sun on our first night. Room was comfortable and we had two excellent night sleeps. Breakfasts were served pipping hot and fresh. Building is a little quirky which added to the atmosphere of staying in such an historic town. John was pleasant and always made us feel welcome and helped make our break so relaxing. Thank you M&K 18/6

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Alanya, Turkey
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Arrived around two hours early but wasn't a problem checking in with owner. Nice.
The owners sense of humour is probably not everyone's cup of tea. He joked about the last time I stayed and had I brought the same man again or a different one this time. To be honest I smiled and chuckled out of sheer embarrassment, my other half didn't find it quite as funny..( I must add that I've never stayed here before) This type of humour is probably ok when welcoming a regular etc but a little dangerous on a first meeting. I feel you need to get to know someone first to be this familiar. We stayed in Room 3 which is the one in the picture above. On the surface a lovely room. Could do with some blackouts at the window as we did wake very early. Bed was too soft for me but hubby was quite happy with it, so personal preference, obviously. Room a bit dusty but you expect a little dust in a property of this age so not a problem. The bathroom was pretty but a bit dated #stuck in the 80's!! That in itself isn't a problem for me but having to scrub someone else's POOP off with a very dirty toilet brush was.....the aroma in the bathroom upon arrival wasn't pleasant either and didn't improve despite perfume being sprayed. Absolutely filthy black scrum around the taps in basin and bath and shower curtain a bit icky. No main light in the room, only lamps and T.V. was ridiculously tiny, rather not have one. We were on a WOWCHER offer and get the feeling the owner doesn't enjoy people who stay on this basis. We had pizza and wine on the first night which was nice. Being welcomed into the dining room in the morning as 'Oh here they are at last, the newlyweds' wasn't to our liking!!
On the second night we ate at The Talbot an the staff were polite, helpful and even though we turned up at 8.55pm and they only serve dinner until 9.00pm they sat us down and we had the most delicious fish and chip supper with a superb pud and drinks all for £28!!
The breakfast at The Fox was hot!!!!!!! Very hot, you have been warned. I'm a slow eater and my plate was still as hot as the sun by the time I'd finished. Enjoyable but for someone who hails himself as a former chef in a top posh London hotel I'd have thought he'd have opted for a more quality product. The sausages were distinctly budget and definitely not to our taste. On checking out again Basil Fawlty was on good form.....we had extra's on our bill amounting to a little less than £30 and were asked if we really wanted to 'pay that piddling amount with a card'!!!!! #rude..
We had an enjoyable couple of days in Shropshire but honestly you could stay right in the heart of Ironbridge for the same amount or less. Note to owner.....do what you do well and pay a little extra for someone with great customer services experience to check in and check out your guests. Nice trip to Shropshire but The Fox was a bit disappointing.

Room Tip: I think whichever room you stay in
Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel
The Plume of Feathers
The Plume of Feathers
#8 of 8 in Much Wenlock

Been to The Fox Inn? Share your experiences!