“Excellent lunch”

Dining options: Reservations
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I note some critical comments about this inn against its accommodation listing.However, my 5 stars is based on a near perfect lunch stop with partner and friends (TA only allows you to say spouse/partner OR friends!).

We had no prior knowledge of the inn, it was just in the right place at the right time while we were walking along Wenlock Edge. It's just a short walk from the major path along the Edge.

We were greeted by the barmaid who was friendly throughout our visit. There were three good ales on draft. We tried the one we didn't know, from Hobsons brewery, and it was excellent, strength of flavour exceeding the light suggestion of its quite pale yellow glow. Draft ales were on a 5 for 4 offer.

I had sandwich and soup. At £7-95 it was more expensive than many pubs but the quality was really good, and it was a light meal rather than a snack. The large bowl of leek and potato soup was as good as any I've made or eaten, with just the right amount of bits of leek still present to give texture.

I'm not much of a white bread eater, but that used for the sandwich was magnificent; thick slabs of really light and tasty bread, not at all stodgy and with an audibly crisp crust. The filling (chicken, mayo) was commensurate: plenty of it with really large pieces of chicken. My only hesitation was that some of the chicken appeared very slightly undercooked, but I came to no harm.

My companions all had the local pork sausages with mash and onion gravy (£6-95) and pronounced themselves well pleased.

Tables were large and chairs comfortable, toilets were very clean.

I can't say what the inn would be like for evening meals or accommodation, but I'll certainly call in again if I am ever nearby.

• Visited December 2011