“Quaint and Charming”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Much Wenlock
Desborough
“Quaint and Charming”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in one of the Mews Rooms. First impression was that the reception badly needs updating. There are wire and cobwebs everywhere. The room was nice with a downstairs and an upstairs. However it could have been cleaned a bit better as parts were dusty and there was a spiders web with a big spider too boot!! The shower didn't work and was cold but too be fair they would have moved us, but we didn't want the hassle and there was no guarantee the other Mews were not on the same water system.
Breakfast was fine and served by a pleasant member of staff.

Room Tip: The Mews rooms had plenty of room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RealAlers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I booked this hotel the Gaskill Arms 3 months before travelling,( I carefully chose the room as I did with the other B&B we stayed at for 4 days previously and loved !! ).
when we arrived the member of staff said I will show you your room and I imediately knew something wasant right as she was taking me inside the hotel and not to the row of terrace rooms that I had thought I had booked outside !!!, she took me upstairs to a room with 3 beds in a double and 2 singles which had 4 windows overlooking a very busy roundabout !!!! and was told when I said this isant the room I booked and that I couldant sleep in a room that overlooked a busy roundabout and that I couldant even open the windows because the noise would be to much !!!!!!!!!! ,to say I was disappointed and upset is an understatement ( although I kept my patience because I realize it wasant the lady who was showing me,s fault ! it never is ! ) .
The lady left us in the room and we decided my husband and I that this just was very bad and there was no way I could sleep in that room for 2 nights , I was told too that I diddant specify which room I wanted only a twin ,so I told her I booked the twin with Blue Entiole bedding as advertised ,but there very clever they just come back with the saying you diddant specify which room!!!!! .I have since revisted the site several times and it very clearly misleads you into thinking that's the room your having . They moved us into a mews cottage as we Now know there called, for 1 night ,as that's all they had left available so they said ,but realized this was unsuitable as the toilet was downstairs and the bedroom up and I need a loo several times in the night !!, so we left after the experience of the meal that we had booked as half board !!. this meal was supposed to be served in the restaurant but they had a party booked in there so we were advised to sit in the pub bit which I preferred to do rather than sit with some noisy laughing ,then we were served the haddock which was so small and pathetic and really not suitable for the price payed of £15.95 ,then the chosen pudding was unavailable (apple and blackberry crumble ), after this we made our exit and endured the 4 hours journey home leaving at 8 oclock as I really could not endure the night there as I would be accepting the shoddiness of the place of which I was duly obliged to pay £140 pounds for and its clearly not worth it !!!.

Im not the kind of person who will stand and argue with the management, but I know whats right and wrong and this clearly is false advertising !!!!!!!!!!!!.
The one thing I must say is the young girls of the staff were very sweet!! though !! ,but I realised its not there fault there just doing there job , I blame the management of the place for the misleading advertising and feel this happens a lot !!!!!!!!, BE AWARE!!!!!!!!!! .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 123pumpkin

Travellers are raving about these Much Wenlock hotels

Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Diditn stay in the rooms, but stopped by last Sunday with my kids for something to eat on the way back from North Wales. The bar was pleasant, busy and the staff were attentive and friendly. Our Sunday roasts were great, loads of food and good value for money. Would definately recommend it and visit again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jamie M
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Visited today 30th July, 2013,with my son and friend for lunch.
No welcome from the solitary lady behind the bar.
Probably 8 to 10 other guests in the main bar area with the expectation that a bowl of soup and three cold sandwiches would not take over 30 minutes to be served.

The soup was served at the same time on a table with insufficient space and had been in the microwave it was impossible to eat as it was literally boiling hot.

Waited at the bar for 10 minutes to eventually being served a second round of drinks, no apology from the same lady who it seemed was manning the bar and the kitchen.

Sorry this experience would not entice any of us back.

Room Tip: Did not use the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Howard G
Warwickshire
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Two nights in this delightful hotel/inn on the edge of beautiful Much Wenlock. The staff were very friendly and efficient. Nothing too much trouble. Good room and superb food, breakfast and dinner. An old building with character, modernized to a certain amount but still retaining its old world charm.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
midlands
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night over bank holiday, It's a very comfortable hotel, very old and interesting, bedrooms very clean, bed linin and towels fresh & clean, we didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on the evening meals but the breakfast was good.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

It was a birthday day out. We had a lovely meal at the Gaskel Arms Hotel. The food was fab, the hotel is such a nice place, very oldly worldly! lots of character and charm. We had a lovely meal, cofee and then a walk around the town of Much Wenlock. Lovely!! The perfect birthday treat.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle
Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa

Been to The Gaskell Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!