“Clean, bright and suitable for variety of ages”

The Gaskell Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Much Wenlock
Gloucester
“Clean, bright and suitable for variety of ages”
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Family visit to the area for a a trip down "memory lane". Age range from 27 to 87. Everyone enjoyed the stay here. Warm welcome, clean crisp white linen and pretty bright rooms. Food very good and service excellent. Would all stay again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Tattiehead

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Shropshire
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I am disgusted with the service ... or should I say, lack of service from the Gaskell Arms (GA). My husband and I were attending a wedding in Much Wenlock in June and, when driving past in January, we decided to book a room. We popped into the GA and happily booked a room for the night in June. I stated that we were attending a wedding and as we knew there would be a lot of people there too, we wanted to make sure that we secured a room. The booking was entered into the diary and I asked whether they would take a deposit to ensure the room was booked. I paid £20 cash.

One week before the wedding, my husband received a phone call from the GA to inform us that there had been a double booking and we could no longer have our room. He was told that it was necessary to move us out as they now had a block booking. He was informed that they had booked a room for us at another hotel.

I was not happy, particularly as a) I had booked so far in advance and b) given a deposit, to ensure that we secured the room. On phoning the GA, I was told that there was nothing they could do about it due to having the double booking. I stated how unhappy I was and that it wasn't a case of not being able to do anything ... it was that they didn't want to. I asked why they couldn't contact the people who had obviously booked later than me (seeing as I'd booked 6 months in advance) and tell them they would need to go to the other hotel for one night, but I kept being told that they couldn't. They had obviously had a better offer due to it being a block booking and, therefore, decided to turf us out.

I, therefore, can't rate this hotel in terms of what it would be like to stay there because I never had the chance to do so.

I recommend that you keep well clear of this place because even if you book in advance, and give a deposit, it doesn't mean that you'll get a room!!!

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Groanie
GaskellMews, Owner at The Gaskell Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2009
I find this abhorent and vicious attack on this hotel totally unacceptable. Mistakes happen very rarely and on this occasion arrangements for alternative accommodation, for the guests involved, were made at a 3 star standard hotel just 2 minutes away in the same town.

Travellers are raving about these Much Wenlock hotels

UK
Reviewed 1 November 2008

I don't think much has changed since the other reviews. We didn't stay here but stopped for drinks and thank goodness we weren't staying. Arrived about 9.15. No welcome whatsoever. Stayed long enough for coffee and cognac in an empty bar and when we left at 9.40 the door had to be unbolted to let us out. We were staying at the Fox (excellent rooms) but as the restaurant was closed (the owners were away) the next night we went for a meal at the Raven. What a difference - welcoming, friendly and good (but fairly expensive) food.

• Stayed October 2008
GaskellMews, Owner at The Gaskell Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2009
The Gaskell Arms Hotel has been upgrade to AA 3 Star Rated 79% and VB 3 Star. We have made many changes for the better and would welcome any prospective guests to pay us visit.
London
Reviewed 31 May 2007

My family and I recently visited the Gaskell Arms for a wedding in Much Wenlock and the welome and hospitality was about as miserable as the weather. It didn't start well as a few months after booking, we phoned on the off chance to clarify details and were told they had no record at all of our booking! When we arrived, we were greeted by a lady who didn't really seem to know what she was doing and had alreday lost our credit card details! We then left to go to the wedding service, which was lovely and then returned to the hotel, only to be told that our room rate had gone up from when we booked! We had actually recieved e-mail confirmation of our room booking and rates and were now being told (3 hours after checking in!) that the room rates had gone up and we had to pay them because 'that's just the way it was'. The woman was rude, unhelpful and unapologetic. Not great personality traits for a landlady! On top of that the rooms were dated and grubby and the shower took 10 mins to warm up. There was one younger woman who was absolutely lovely but the 2 older ladies were disorganised, unfriendly and rude. We won't be going back.

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank DuckieLondon
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2006

We had to find somewhere to stay in Much Wenlock so didn't have much choice. As it turned out we were quite lucky to get a room as this place was really busy. But lucky might be overstating it. Contrary to the other review here, the staff seemed mostly fine. There was a very nice woman who checked us in and showed us to the room. Here's where the horror starts. You can forgive the odd fire door being propped open (although I don't suppose the local authority would) but the hideous carpet, wallpaper, paper flowers, and knick-knack nightmare that greeted us upstairs was enough to make me wish we could go home. The decor is horrible. And the rooms in the main building are tiny. And airless. And they are on the main road. And the bed was tiny too. And the shower goes hot and cold constantly. I won't go on because this isn't really a hotel at all. It's a pub with rooms. The owner clearly doesn't like doing what she does as there are signs everywhere informing you what you can't do. Or wat they won't do for you. Or other unwelcoming details. Oh, and my girlfriend asked me to add that they managed to spill coffee everywhere in the morning. Although that seemed like a welcome diversion to me.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank thehotelinspector
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 April 2006

A colleague had booked a room at the Gaskell Arms on 7 April 2006. A number of us were staying in Much Wenlock as we were attending a course. On the evening, we walked our colleague back to his hotel at around 11.20 (he had been instructed to return by 11.30 so that he could get his room key). As the bar was still full and the landlady still serving, we asked for a some drinks. Stony-faced and very rudely she told us that we she was no longer serving. When our friend then asked for his room key, she very rudely told him that he could not take us "three ladies" up to his room!

We were all very shocked that:
A) we were refused a drink when the pub was obviously still serving other customers (as we waited outside following the refusal we plainly saw another gentleman being served)
B) The woman assumed that we were going to go into our colleagues room and commented so infront of other guests. Her tone of voice when doing so indicated that she doubted our respectability!

At no point did she smile or welcome us, even when it became obvious that one of us was a guest. I fail to see how this relates to the "warm traditional hospitality" of the advertising leaflet. I find it shocking that we should be treated in such a way - especially when one of us was paying good money to stay in the hotel.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 October 2005

Spent a pleasent week-end at the Gaskell Arms. Stayed in the converted stables "Gaskell mews". Small lounge downstairs with a beamed galleried bedroom upstairs, Very warm and cosy. Ideal base for exploring the Ironbridge museums(5 Miles). Much Wenlock also a quaint town.Food was OK and a good selection of beers. On the main road and can get a little noisy at times,didn,t bother me but SHMBO moaned a little.Nice breakfast! Only wish the owner was little more cheerful, seemed she was doing us a favour by letting us stay there! At least smile when you take the money.

• Stayed October 2005
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle
Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa

Been to The Gaskell Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!