“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Much Wenlock
Harlow, United Kingdom
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

My partner & myself stayed for two nights in between Christmas & New Year. Our room in the Forge was very comfortable but suffered from intermittent heating problems. The restaurant was very good. Would love to return during warmer weather.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

I really wasn't expecting The Raven to look the way it does. There's a comfortable and inviting bar area and a spacious and airy dining room - for some reason I was expecting heavy, old-fashioned soft furnishings and more traditional decor. So that was a pleasant surprise. Service was also friendly, knowledgeable and down to earth, in contrast to the snobbishness I'd been led to expect by others who have dined here before.

The food too was very good... although the vegetarian options were limited - an asparagus-based starter followed by an asparagus-based main, which wasn't great for my vegetarian companion who - er - doesn't like asparagus. Luckily I love it, and my simple starter was perfectly cooked, as was the risotto I selected for a main. They were able to accommodate my companion with a minimum of fuss, happily offering a delicious stilton-based salad as a main instead of a starter.

One minor quibble: I was put out to be questioned twice about whether I ate fish - replying twice that no, I am vegetarian. People who eat fish are simply not vegetarian - even if they say they are. Nor are people who eat chicken, nor organic hand-reared beef, nor 'the odd bit of bacon' - it's a question of accuracy, not ethics. It doesn't normally bother me that much, but staff at a restaurant should credit people with the intelligence to know what they eat and to be able to identify those items on the menu - if I ate fish, I would be able to locate and order the fish dish, thanks. Staff should assume that vegetarians do not eat fish - by definition. To do otherwise is at best infuriating; at worst offensive.

I've just read some of the other reviews and wonder if the writers actually went to the same place. The ambience of The Raven is lovely, the space inviting and convivial, the food is prepared with skill and obvious care to let the flavours shine through, and the staff are friendly and accommodating. It's too expensive for a regular dining venue but great for a special occasion, which this was.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Good food pricey but apart from the flys and that they were landing on my food nice place

• Stayed June 2012
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Three friends and myself booked a table for 8.00pm and arrived for a pre dinner drink at 7.30pm. We were not acknowledged let alone welcomed and waited 15 minutes for service. The food was mediocre and not up to a good pub meal standard. I had battered Cod which arrived in near burnt batter which was soft and seemed to be microwaved if that's possible. My Apple and Pear Crumble turned out to be Rhubarb ! The service was abysmal and the restaurant was squashed and lacked any atmosphere. We received a form of apology when paying the bill and was informed that it was the waitresses first night. Overall, I couldn't wait to leave. A real shame as the place generally has a good reputation.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Phil1949langley
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

We were a group of vintage car enthusiasts and stayed at the Raven for a week. We had excellant service from all the staff who could not do enough for us and as for Kirk the owner he was top class and a very nice chap. The meals were of a very good quality and the selection was really good, the only thing I would pick up on was that our room though very clean could do with an upgrade, but that said it did not spoil our holiday and we will be definately be going back, a thouroughly enjoyable week.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

We have been regular visitors of the Raven Hotel for a few years now and have always found the food excellent quality and beautifully presented. This time we were given a room which on the face of it appeared very pleasant,although it requires serious updating to bring it up to standard. The bathroom, however was of serious concern, not only were the fittings missing there was mold visible on the tiles. I felt there was no excuse for a bathroom to be left in this state. In addition the heating wasn't working, but fortunatley there was a heater in the room. We had booked a table in the restaurant and expected it to be busy, but unfortunatley it was rather quiet much to our surprise. We placed our order with the waitress and then we heard our order being shouted out in the kitchen which was a bit distracting in a very quiet restaurant. In addition we noticed that this time the menu choice had been reduced significantly. The food however is still very good, but I have to say it was not as good as it had been on previous visits. We had a special offer which included our evening meal. However,we would not have been happy if we had been paying full price for the meal and accommodation, particularly in view of the standard of the room. Upgrading of the rooms is seriously needed if they want to keep their customers happy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We had intended visiting the Raven for some time but what a disappointment. Fantastic service from the waiting staff and great flavours but menu descriptions and portion size left a lot to be desired.

The starter of Mushroom Salad Panchetta with Poached Egg and Black Pudding was tasty but where was the mushroom??????? 3 out of 4 of us had this and there was not a whole mushroom if we added all the minute pieces together. One plate had no mushroom at all.

Main course portions were all small, I guess the waiting staff felt the same; otherwise why would they advise purchasing vegetables as a side dish. Biggest issue: one of us had Liver and Onions - I guess we expected Liver to be the shining star on this plate but as delicious as it was the liver portion was smaller than a single fish finger and the mash became the the main feature and there was precious little of that - despite a complaint the Chef didn't even give us he courtesy of a reply - very disappointing. All of the desserts were great.

But the portion size of the Liver was a disgrace - probably the cheapest ingredient of all of our mains yet it was the smallest. I don't mind meager portions, it does encourage you to eat 3 courses, and we did eat all 3, but this wasn't just meager it was just plain mean. We won't be going back or be recommending this to any of our friends

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Buckatree Hall Hotel
Buckatree Hall Hotel
#3 of 21 in Telford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,122 reviews

Been to The Raven Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!