We stayed here as part of a Travelzoo deal. £140 for 7 course tasting menu and B&B. We thought we more than got our monies worth, the food was excellent. We've rated this a 4 because we thought the food deserved a 5 but the venue itself would only rate a 3 for us.
We feel the interior really let the experience down. The main fault we have is that they really need to invest in the bar, eating areas and the rooms. The place needs to be brought up to the same standard as the food. A lick of light colored paint and replacement of most of the furniture would not go a miss. It's frumpy and actually smelled like an old style B&B/caravan. That said, it was clean and we're still glad we went.
The food is the best thing about this place. The taster menu, this was really well done, we've had plenty of taster menu's and this one was definitely up there with some of our Michelin experiences. I've got to admire the chef's initiative and flavour combinations. The breakfast was also one of the best cooked breakfasts we've had, good quality sausage and all well cooked and not greasy. There was cereal and juice available in the eating area. Alongside a menu of items such as haddock, English breakfast, porridge or yogurt. An improvement they could make is having mixed fruit, yogurt, pastries etc available in the main dining area.
Everybody working there were very friendly, helpful and efficient. Though there was a glass accidentally smashed during the evening meal which still hadn't been fully cleared up at breakfast.
We stayed in room No2 (four poster bed). We paid an extra £10 for this "better room". The room was clean, but still frumpy. They could give it a face lift and change the mattress, which was too hard and possibly a cheap buy. Sheets and fleece throw were all very clean, which is a must for us. The tv had a great quality picture. The shower was too low and bath probably needed replacing. Nice touches like G&S toiletries, tea, coffee and biscuits. Unfortunately the room is on the front of the building and being a light sleeper meant I was woken several times during the evening either by cars or people leaving pubs. I wish I'd have asked for a quiet room, something to remember in the future.
Overall I'd highly recommend this place, if you don't mind frumpy. It's worth it for the food. Though I think the owner is missing a trick in not bringing the place in line with the food, it's got so much more potential and think it's a real shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Raven Hotel is a former 17th century coaching inn where we delight in offering our guests a friendly service, truly tasty food, fine wine, local ale and individually styled, comfortable accommodation. Our 2 star AA Rosette rating for food means that we have a loyal local following as well as playing host to business and leisure guests who return time after time to enjoy modern British cooking. Surrounded by stunning walks and beautiful countryside, Much Wenlock has much to offer visitors, with historic streets, local market towns and the World Heritage site of Ironbridge only 10 minutes away. Visit, stay over, dine, relax and ENJOY! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Agoda and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Raven Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Raven Hotel And Restaurant
- Raven Hotel Much Wenlock
- The Raven Hotel & Restaurant Much Wenlock, Shropshire