“Almost BUT.......” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Much Wenlock
Dunmow
“Almost BUT.......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed several nights on basis of other reviews, overall it is only average for cost. BUT some things are letting it down badly. Essentially there is an apparent lack of overseeing control / consistency. Our booking made direct with hotel and not external offer.

DINNER has a high artistic visual appeal BUT the quantities are very very small.(I am not greedy) eg a dish was described as being with Asparagus ( shavings of one stick) Bombay Potato ( 2 x coat button sized pieces). Sauces and puree have good flavours but used only as a small colour design and not to enhance food as insufficient quantity, I am not impressed by unusable smudges and blobs. It is ESSENTIAL to ask for a helping of seasonal vegetables if you want something approaching a 'normal' sized meal. The Starters were generally much better but do keep in mind that 3 courses are essentially £40 per person. We had the same dishes on both days and items listed on menu were not always served with the dish.

BREAKFAST. Day 1 was good as chose 3 items from the menu. Scrambled egg (excellent ) with a couple of other items. Day 2 ordered exactly the same but quantity served was a third of the quantity (unacceptable). Desert spoon size portion of baked beans and scrambled egg and one hash brown , could have been intended for a young child not an adult.

ACCOMODATION in the Forge was large, clean, comfortable. Located in an outbuilding access to which is at the end of the open air (gravel and worn tarmac) car park which also services a private house as well as hotel. The toiletries are small and only enough for one person for a single night and were not replaced for the second day.

DRINKS. The wines were reasonably priced for a hotel. There is a small intimate bar with a pleasant atmosphere.

OWNER and staff were very pleasant and professional and my views have already been expressed to the owner. In brief lots of potential but needs more attention in all areas. As regards value for what was provided I have frequently had far better for less cost.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PeterDunmow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

This was a surprise for my birthday from my husband. The hotel was very quaint with lots of old beams and original features.
We had the 7 course taster menu as part of the deal my husband booked
and can't commend it highly enough. Each course was an experience and we thoroughly enjoyed it all.
The room we had was lovely, but needed a bit of attention: ie there were tiles missing round the bath and the shower was quite awkward to use.
However the staff were so helpful and courteous, we marked the hotel highly for them and the food.
We would definitely return.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed at the Raven in Much Wenlock for one night on the 7 course taster menu.

It did seem odd to me that the courses are a secret but on speaking with the Chef I understand why. The chef visits local butchers and stockists that day to see what produce is the best available.

My wife was happy eating a surprise menu but I wasn’t comfortable at first as I know I am a fussy eater, but by the end of a very enjoyable evening I was full and enjoyed most of the courses, even the two courses I didn’t like I could appreciate the quality and what the chef was aiming for. We had some excellent courses which included Lobster and pea foam, Monkfish on squid ink (Which was perfectly cooked), Veal (Which I didn’t eat but that is personal choice) and Wild Mushroom oats.
The breakfast the next day was also top quality, amazing poached eggs and beautiful tasting sausage and bacon.
We stayed in room 9 on the first floor; the room was large with a nice TV. The bathroom had a bath and shower and was very clean. Bath Salts were a nice touch. The bed was very comfortable and we both got a good night’s sleep.
The hotel is excellently situated for a really short walk into the town which is literally round the corner.

Room Tip: We had room 9 on the first floor, the room was large with a nice TV. The bathroom had a bath and sho...
travelpic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a lovely night away here, booked through TravelZoo for a 7 course taster menu and breakfast. Hotel is lovely, we stayed in room 4 which is large and beautifully decorated. Food was amazing and I'm very fussy. Staff very helpful, friendly and accommodating. So much to do locally, we walked to Wentlock Priory, a lovely place to walk around and cheap to get in. Run by English Heritage. Lovely local shops. I would highly recommend staying here and hope to go back soon.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
West Kirby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel as part of a deal with overnight stay and a 7 course taster meal.The hotel is very old but very smart and comfortable. The service we had all the time we were there was first class. Later at dinner time when we sat in the bar we were asked if we had any food we could not eat but when we asked about the menu we were told we were having chef surprise,and what a surprise it was .beautifull small portions of dishes we would never have thought about with enough time to converse between courses without waiting too long At the end of the meal we left the table full without feeling bloated and we can only recomend this to others.This was our 56th Wedding Anniversary and it lived up to all we could wish for. Try this meal and of course the 56 years marriage. The town of Much Wenlock is another gem as well.

Room Tip: For older residents they have rooms on the ground floor to save you climbing stairs.We were in the r...
Chester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here on a Friday evening. Check in was really quick and we were taken to room 6 in the main house. The room was lovely and large but some of the furniture could do with updating. The bathroom seemed quite new and was modern with a rainfall shower over a really deep bath, bath salts were provided and were really appreciated after a long day at work! Both rooms were spotlessly clean. Before dinner we had a drink and canapés in the bar. We had booked the 7 course taster menu and we were told that the courses were going to be chosen by the chef and were to be a surprise, we were asked if we had any food allergies or special dietary requirements (I have an allergy to shellfish). The food itself was beautiful, the amuse bouche was a scallop dish but as I cannot eat shell fish I was served a goats cheese dish while my husband still got to enjoy the scallops. Each of the 7 courses were outstanding and were just the right size. We finished the meal with coffee in the bar followed by a nightcap or two. If you are looking for a relaxing stay in a beautiful area with outstanding food and service then look no further. We have already booked a return trip for June.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed here as part of a Travelzoo deal. £140 for 7 course tasting menu and B&B. We thought we more than got our monies worth, the food was excellent. We've rated this a 4 because we thought the food deserved a 5 but the venue itself would only rate a 3 for us.

The venue
We feel the interior really let the experience down. The main fault we have is that they really need to invest in the bar, eating areas and the rooms. The place needs to be brought up to the same standard as the food. A lick of light colored paint and replacement of most of the furniture would not go a miss. It's frumpy and actually smelled like an old style B&B/caravan. That said, it was clean and we're still glad we went.

The food
The food is the best thing about this place. The taster menu, this was really well done, we've had plenty of taster menu's and this one was definitely up there with some of our Michelin experiences. I've got to admire the chef's initiative and flavour combinations. The breakfast was also one of the best cooked breakfasts we've had, good quality sausage and all well cooked and not greasy. There was cereal and juice available in the eating area. Alongside a menu of items such as haddock, English breakfast, porridge or yogurt. An improvement they could make is having mixed fruit, yogurt, pastries etc available in the main dining area.

The service
Everybody working there were very friendly, helpful and efficient. Though there was a glass accidentally smashed during the evening meal which still hadn't been fully cleared up at breakfast.

The room
We stayed in room No2 (four poster bed). We paid an extra £10 for this "better room". The room was clean, but still frumpy. They could give it a face lift and change the mattress, which was too hard and possibly a cheap buy. Sheets and fleece throw were all very clean, which is a must for us. The tv had a great quality picture. The shower was too low and bath probably needed replacing. Nice touches like G&S toiletries, tea, coffee and biscuits. Unfortunately the room is on the front of the building and being a light sleeper meant I was woken several times during the evening either by cars or people leaving pubs. I wish I'd have asked for a quiet room, something to remember in the future.

Overall I'd highly recommend this place, if you don't mind frumpy. It's worth it for the food. Though I think the owner is missing a trick in not bringing the place in line with the food, it's got so much more potential and think it's a real shame.

Room Tip: Room 2 in the main hotel is on the main road so if you're a light sleeper I'd discourage.
1 Thank ElizabethGClaxton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,098 reviews
The Cliffe at Dinham
The Cliffe at Dinham
#3 of 8 in Ludlow

Been to The Raven Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!