“As good as it gets” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Much Wenlock
chester
“As good as it gets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

The food at the Raven under Jason Hodnet to our minds is fantastic. The chef excels himself as one of us is vegetarian and we had the 7 course taster menu. We have now been here twice and each time the menu has been different in fact exceptional. In total 28 dishes plus and every one a work of art. Not only is the food great but the staff are also attentive, Christian the head waiter is extremely professional with all your needs catered for without being overpowering- just right. We understand from some of the reviews portion size is a problem but for me with 7 courses any more would have been too much and spoilt the experience. We think if you are a foodie then you will not be disappointed with the whole experience - we will be going back again for sure!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I wouldn't usually write a review of a hotel but this time I just have to... I just spent a weekend at the Raven and loved it. I was booked in by a friend so I could attend a family party. She lives locally and raves about the restaurant, but I have to admit to some scepticism when I read some reviews that said the place needed updating. But what a pleasant surprise I got – it’s welcoming and full of character, the staff were friendly without being intrusive, and my room was quiet, clean, comfortable and cool (I could open the window!).

I travel a lot for work and found this a very refreshing change from the bland hotel chains where you are just another face checking into a standard box of a room. I was made to feel like a valued guest. The receptionist had good ideas for how I could while away a morning in town (tip: don't miss two great bookshops and the deli on the High Street), and I also spent a pleasant hour just sitting reading, undisturbed, in the bar. I didn't eat in (I almost wish I had) but breakfast was a treat and other guests told me how much they had enjoyed their evening meal. I'll certainly be returning and will be sure not to miss the restaurant again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was our second visit to experience a tasting menu, and let's be honest, this was the main reason we went to the hotel. The current chef is Jason Hodnett, who was recently on TV's "Great British Menu", but apart from that the format was similar to last year except that unlike the previous trip the menu was 'secret' so we had no idea what to expect. The only concession is that you can specify anything that you are allergic to or simply will not eat. Some reviews have complained that portions are small. This all depends on your appetite, but we were certainly satisfied by the following:

Amuse Bouche - Chorizo Beignet, Heritage tomato, English Feta
Beef - Slow cooked sirloin, Braised ox tongue, Onions, Potato espuma
Celery - Celery, Compressed apple, Bitter Lemon ice cream
Apricot - Roast apricot, Elderflower parfait, White chocolate, Pistachio
Cheese - Selection of (six) cheeses with traditional accompaniments

You can see our photos to get an idea of size. Presentation was delightful, and virtually every course was something that we had never had before in one way or another. The food was thoroughly enjoyable, and would have been ruined by the addition of stodgy 'sides' such as vegetables etc. which usually accompany meals. On paper there were seven courses to the menu, but with extra "compliments of the chef" items this became ten servings.

Service was efficient, with a few words of explanation each time food arrived. You have to book a time slot for your start, and this was a major drawback. When we went to book a time, most slots were taken so we ended up with the 7.00 pm slot, one of the earliest. We were warned that it would be a "three-hour-meal", but after nearly two hours we were only just starting the second official course. I suspect that this is so that the various staggered starting times can be brought together to simplify cooking and serving, as much later starters were catching up with us.

As already mentioned, the meal is one of the main reasons that people visit, and the restaurant is usually fully booked. As a hotel, The Raven is adequate, but nothing special. We were (unexpectedly) put into an annexe called The Forge. The rooms are modern and have everything you need, including decent, free, WiFi. Our room (6) however overlooked a noisy road and car park, which did not help when the window was open.

Staff are very friendly, and the location, in the middle of the charming town of Much Wenlock, makes this an ideal place to take a couple of days away and try something different. We will probably do so again next year.

Room Tip: Superior rooms cost more. Rooms in the main building are older, but quieter. Check the rooms on th...
Preston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked a weekend away with friends and thought we would give hotel and restaurant a go. We booked dinner bed and breakfast with the seven course tasting menu. This was a major mistake. Compared to other tasting menus all four of the diners thought portions VERY small to point of being ridiculous. The dishes seemed to get bigger and bigger whilst the food served was minuscule. At the end of meal we had to go back to our room and eat the biscuits ! On booking out we mentioned this to staff who said they would raise with the owner. With hindsight I wish I had taken time to check other reviews on trip advisor before we booked as it now seems our experience this weekend is commonplace. A Hotel and Restaurant of high standards should have reacted to the reviews and customer feedback, the Raven Hotel do not seem to have been sharp enough to make adjustments. Overall it was embarrassing for us as we had encouraged the other couple to join us and we feel responsible for a disappointing meal.

Room Tip: We had Raven2 which was okay our friends had raven 4 or 5 which was tiny!!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Blue B
Chester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to The Raven, we were so impressed the first time we arranged an overnight visit with some friends to celebrate a Birthday. We arrived around 1.30pm and as we were waiting for our friends we decided to have a snack in the courtyard. As we only wanted a snack and not a big lunch we chose to share a beef sandwich and a side dish of rocket & cheese salad, the salad contained a daddy longlegs which could have happened to anyone and was just unfortunate and was taken off the bill but the accompanying chips to the sandwich never arrived making it expensive and disappointing. We checked in around 3pm and were taken to room 4, this is a beautiful large double aspect room with a modern bathroom, both the bathroom and bedroom were spotless and had everything required for an overnight stay. At dinner we had the 7 course tasting menu and although each course was beautifully presented I noticed the size of the portions were drastically smaller than on our last visit in February. I understand it is a tasting menu but the difference to the tasting menu just 4 months earlier was very noticeable. The service also seems to have suffered somewhat, nobody came to top-up the wine, this wasn’t an issue with the red wine as it was on the table but the white was in an ice bucket in the corner away from the table, not a big deal but again a very noticeable difference from the first visit. At breakfast the service was slow and we did wait quite a long time for the cooked breakfast but once it arrived it was all very nice. Even though the issues this time around were minor I can’t help but compare it to our visit in February and therefore I was somewhat disappointed. I have rated this stay 4 but feel 3.5 would be nearer the mark.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chester252
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

For not a great deal more than a Premier Inn with breakfast, you get to stay in a characterful and authentically English hotel. The staff were invariably pleasant and attentive, but the top award must go to the barman who went out of his way to give us excellent service.

Eating in the restaurant was, for us, a relaxed, whole evening experience! Booking is essential. We particularly enjoyed the various amuse-bouches which were delightful, but we were a little disappointed to have to wait 40 minutes for bread to arrive. However, when it came it was delicious. The food in the restaurant is of good quality and well cooked, but we felt that, for our main courses (lamb), presentation took precedence over flavour. We should try the taster menu next time.

Breakfast was very good and the full English was flavoursome, though not over-generous.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6 which overlooks the inner courtyard where people can have drinks. Comfortable ki...
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We are a mature couple and went with another couple on a Travelzoo deal with a 7 course taster menu. We were in the annexe in a lovely large room and bathroom. The meal was delicious and the staff excellent. We were asked beforehand if we had any particular dislikes and said we had none. However, for myself i am not a chocohollic and the desert was chocolate. I tried it but really did not like it. I apologised for not eating it, it was my fault for not mentioning it. I was asked if i would like something else but, as the cheese had appeared, i said no, i was fine. Five minutes later the waiter appeared with a lovely plate with a new desert of panacotta and fruit. I think this is really good service, to take the trouble to mention to the chef i did not like it and then the chef to take the trouble to make me another. Top marks!

Room Tip: the room was in the annexe and very quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 8 in Ludlow
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#2 of 15 in Shrewsbury

Been to The Raven Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!