“Try's hard”

The Raven Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Much Wenlock
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here several years running as we come to see friends in the local Shakespeare play they hold each year. The hotel is fine a bit pricey but ok. We did eat in the hotel the first night and it is hard to review as clearly the chef is very talented but we left thinking the meal was more showing off than good dining. To put it in perspective we went to the Talbot next day which was much nicer and half the cost. In terms of constructive feedback I suggest the portions should be bigger, less fiddly stuff and make sure it is warm.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tennisbanch

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had a great deal for a 7 course tasting dinner, overnight stay and breakfast. This is a charming old hotel and the village is a sheer delight with good walking in the area. Our "mystery" dinner was extremely interesting and enjoyable, a pleasure to sit down to a different experience and we were waited on by delightful girls. Our room was spacious and the bed comfortable. I only eat cold breakfasts but my husband enjoyed his full English. An all round good experience and we would stay again.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was a travelzoo deal for me and the wife. What a beautiful part of the country. Liked the place as soon as we arrived. The setting and atmosphere are right up our street. We stayed in room 6 which overlooks the courtyard. A pleasant room, clean and tidy with a very comfortable good sized bed. The ensuite had a very good shower. Small point, the dressing table covered access to plug sockets, fortunately the straighteners have a long lead so it wasn't a great hassle as the wife could manage using an other plug. The staff, to a person were very attentive, friendly, helpful and very efficient. Like other reviewers we primarily went for the 7 course taster menu. We were not disappointed!! Not being told what we were about to eat did not detract from it either. Prior to service we were asked if there was anything we did not like which I thought was very considerate. As a result we were accommodated with a different desert, which just added to the quality of the service. The food was out of this world, original, varied and beautifully presented. We simply did not want it to end. The man is a genius! A fantastic evening. Breakfast the following morning was also very good. the full English was excellent. Again, I liked the option of additional add ons at no extra cost. Staff again, very attentive. Only quibble was a poor nights sleep. That was nothing to do with the bed/hotel, but merely the fact it was a night so humid we struggled to sleep. I mention it only to explain the mark given. We certainly intend to return!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I chose the Raven as the venue for an anniversary weekend break with our elderly parents. From the moment we arrived, we received such a warm welcome and throughout our stay all the staff were just so thoughtful and courteous. There are several ground floor rooms in the courtyard that are easily accessible for someone who has difficulty with stairs, which was great for our parents, though we were lucky enough to stay in “Room 15” ourselves, which is a kind of mini-suite with a sitting room and galleried bedroom above, and French windows opening out on to the hotel’s own herb garden! As it was a special occasion, we opted for the tasting menu for dinner, which did not disappoint. It’s true that as some other reviewers have said, the portions were rather small but every course was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. The staff were quietly efficient and courteous, and made us feel very special. We are very grateful to everyone at the Raven for making this family occasion so memorable and stress free.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The food at the Raven under Jason Hodnet to our minds is fantastic. The chef excels himself as one of us is vegetarian and we had the 7 course taster menu. We have now been here twice and each time the menu has been different in fact exceptional. In total 28 dishes plus and every one a work of art. Not only is the food great but the staff are also attentive, Christian the head waiter is extremely professional with all your needs catered for without being overpowering- just right. We understand from some of the reviews portion size is a problem but for me with 7 courses any more would have been too much and spoilt the experience. We think if you are a foodie then you will not be disappointed with the whole experience - we will be going back again for sure!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I wouldn't usually write a review of a hotel but this time I just have to... I just spent a weekend at the Raven and loved it. I was booked in by a friend so I could attend a family party. She lives locally and raves about the restaurant, but I have to admit to some scepticism when I read some reviews that said the place needed updating. But what a pleasant surprise I got – it’s welcoming and full of character, the staff were friendly without being intrusive, and my room was quiet, clean, comfortable and cool (I could open the window!).

I travel a lot for work and found this a very refreshing change from the bland hotel chains where you are just another face checking into a standard box of a room. I was made to feel like a valued guest. The receptionist had good ideas for how I could while away a morning in town (tip: don't miss two great bookshops and the deli on the High Street), and I also spent a pleasant hour just sitting reading, undisturbed, in the bar. I didn't eat in (I almost wish I had) but breakfast was a treat and other guests told me how much they had enjoyed their evening meal. I'll certainly be returning and will be sure not to miss the restaurant again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was our second visit to experience a tasting menu, and let's be honest, this was the main reason we went to the hotel. The current chef is Jason Hodnett, who was recently on TV's "Great British Menu", but apart from that the format was similar to last year except that unlike the previous trip the menu was 'secret' so we had no idea what to expect. The only concession is that you can specify anything that you are allergic to or simply will not eat. Some reviews have complained that portions are small. This all depends on your appetite, but we were certainly satisfied by the following:

Amuse Bouche - Chorizo Beignet, Heritage tomato, English Feta
Beef - Slow cooked sirloin, Braised ox tongue, Onions, Potato espuma
Celery - Celery, Compressed apple, Bitter Lemon ice cream
Apricot - Roast apricot, Elderflower parfait, White chocolate, Pistachio
Cheese - Selection of (six) cheeses with traditional accompaniments

You can see our photos to get an idea of size. Presentation was delightful, and virtually every course was something that we had never had before in one way or another. The food was thoroughly enjoyable, and would have been ruined by the addition of stodgy 'sides' such as vegetables etc. which usually accompany meals. On paper there were seven courses to the menu, but with extra "compliments of the chef" items this became ten servings.

Service was efficient, with a few words of explanation each time food arrived. You have to book a time slot for your start, and this was a major drawback. When we went to book a time, most slots were taken so we ended up with the 7.00 pm slot, one of the earliest. We were warned that it would be a "three-hour-meal", but after nearly two hours we were only just starting the second official course. I suspect that this is so that the various staggered starting times can be brought together to simplify cooking and serving, as much later starters were catching up with us.

As already mentioned, the meal is one of the main reasons that people visit, and the restaurant is usually fully booked. As a hotel, The Raven is adequate, but nothing special. We were (unexpectedly) put into an annexe called The Forge. The rooms are modern and have everything you need, including decent, free, WiFi. Our room (6) however overlooked a noisy road and car park, which did not help when the window was open.

Staff are very friendly, and the location, in the middle of the charming town of Much Wenlock, makes this an ideal place to take a couple of days away and try something different. We will probably do so again next year.

Room Tip: Superior rooms cost more. Rooms in the main building are older, but quieter. Check the rooms on th...