“Wow how fantastic!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Much Wenlock
Maidenhead
“Wow how fantastic!!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have just spent the weekend at the Raven hotel in much Wenlock and had a fantastic time. The hotel is in a central location in much Wenlock close to shops and the museum. We were given a warm welcome when we arrived and shown up to our room number 4. We were told that this was the newly refurbished room and it was really lovely, with a triple aspect 2 pretty easy chairs and a large bathroom. We had the 7 course tasting menu which actually turned into nine courses with the chef Jason Hodnett's complimentary additions which included a pre-desert desert absolutely brilliant ! The whole dinner was an amazing experience with well-trained waiting team describing the dishes in detail for each course. A reasonably priced comprehensive wine list complimented this to a Tee. Breakfast the next morning was perfectly cooked and served by a friendly manager a perfect end to a perfect stay. We thoroughly recommend this hotel its fantastic!!

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here several years running as we come to see friends in the local Shakespeare play they hold each year. The hotel is fine a bit pricey but ok. We did eat in the hotel the first night and it is hard to review as clearly the chef is very talented but we left thinking the meal was more showing off than good dining. To put it in perspective we went to the Talbot next day which was much nicer and half the cost. In terms of constructive feedback I suggest the portions should be bigger, less fiddly stuff and make sure it is warm.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tennisbanch
Cheshire
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had a great deal for a 7 course tasting dinner, overnight stay and breakfast. This is a charming old hotel and the village is a sheer delight with good walking in the area. Our "mystery" dinner was extremely interesting and enjoyable, a pleasure to sit down to a different experience and we were waited on by delightful girls. Our room was spacious and the bed comfortable. I only eat cold breakfasts but my husband enjoyed his full English. An all round good experience and we would stay again.

Higham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was a travelzoo deal for me and the wife. What a beautiful part of the country. Liked the place as soon as we arrived. The setting and atmosphere are right up our street. We stayed in room 6 which overlooks the courtyard. A pleasant room, clean and tidy with a very comfortable good sized bed. The ensuite had a very good shower. Small point, the dressing table covered access to plug sockets, fortunately the straighteners have a long lead so it wasn't a great hassle as the wife could manage using an other plug. The staff, to a person were very attentive, friendly, helpful and very efficient. Like other reviewers we primarily went for the 7 course taster menu. We were not disappointed!! Not being told what we were about to eat did not detract from it either. Prior to service we were asked if there was anything we did not like which I thought was very considerate. As a result we were accommodated with a different desert, which just added to the quality of the service. The food was out of this world, original, varied and beautifully presented. We simply did not want it to end. The man is a genius! A fantastic evening. Breakfast the following morning was also very good. the full English was excellent. Again, I liked the option of additional add ons at no extra cost. Staff again, very attentive. Only quibble was a poor nights sleep. That was nothing to do with the bed/hotel, but merely the fact it was a night so humid we struggled to sleep. I mention it only to explain the mark given. We certainly intend to return!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I chose the Raven as the venue for an anniversary weekend break with our elderly parents. From the moment we arrived, we received such a warm welcome and throughout our stay all the staff were just so thoughtful and courteous. There are several ground floor rooms in the courtyard that are easily accessible for someone who has difficulty with stairs, which was great for our parents, though we were lucky enough to stay in “Room 15” ourselves, which is a kind of mini-suite with a sitting room and galleried bedroom above, and French windows opening out on to the hotel’s own herb garden! As it was a special occasion, we opted for the tasting menu for dinner, which did not disappoint. It’s true that as some other reviewers have said, the portions were rather small but every course was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. The staff were quietly efficient and courteous, and made us feel very special. We are very grateful to everyone at the Raven for making this family occasion so memorable and stress free.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
chester
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The food at the Raven under Jason Hodnet to our minds is fantastic. The chef excels himself as one of us is vegetarian and we had the 7 course taster menu. We have now been here twice and each time the menu has been different in fact exceptional. In total 28 dishes plus and every one a work of art. Not only is the food great but the staff are also attentive, Christian the head waiter is extremely professional with all your needs catered for without being overpowering- just right. We understand from some of the reviews portion size is a problem but for me with 7 courses any more would have been too much and spoilt the experience. We think if you are a foodie then you will not be disappointed with the whole experience - we will be going back again for sure!

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I wouldn't usually write a review of a hotel but this time I just have to... I just spent a weekend at the Raven and loved it. I was booked in by a friend so I could attend a family party. She lives locally and raves about the restaurant, but I have to admit to some scepticism when I read some reviews that said the place needed updating. But what a pleasant surprise I got – it’s welcoming and full of character, the staff were friendly without being intrusive, and my room was quiet, clean, comfortable and cool (I could open the window!).

I travel a lot for work and found this a very refreshing change from the bland hotel chains where you are just another face checking into a standard box of a room. I was made to feel like a valued guest. The receptionist had good ideas for how I could while away a morning in town (tip: don't miss two great bookshops and the deli on the High Street), and I also spent a pleasant hour just sitting reading, undisturbed, in the bar. I didn't eat in (I almost wish I had) but breakfast was a treat and other guests told me how much they had enjoyed their evening meal. I'll certainly be returning and will be sure not to miss the restaurant again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Buckatree Hall Hotel
Buckatree Hall Hotel
#4 of 21 in Telford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,135 reviews

Been to The Raven Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!