“Lovely stay in beautiful hotel”

Wynnstay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Oswestry
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this lovely hotel. We ate twice in the restaurant and the food was extremely good. Our room was tastefully appointed and the beds very comfortable. The staff were terrific - especially Claire on Reception! A very friendly hotel with very good accommodation.

Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Wynnstay Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 29 August 2013

My wife and I spent a night at this hotel. The location is perfect and very central. The staff were very friendly and professional. Our bed room was large and comfortable over loooking the bowling gre. it was quiet, very clean, but quite dated. We did not get time to use the gym. We did not eat in the resturant, so can not comment on the food, but the menu looked good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I was part of a large group staying at the hotel 23rd-25th August. The staff were excellent- friendly and efficient. Claire on reception was helpful in the booking arrangements and efficient and fun on booking in. The rooms were comfortable and clean. We ate there on the friday and there were no complaints re the food or the service. Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I brought my Ladies choir back here again for their weekend away to compete in the Llangollen International Eisteddfod. Booking was easy as we had done it before and Claire on reception is so good at making changes and adapting to every ones needs. We had a set menu in the restaurant Friday night and the staff bent over backwards to help everyone when one of the orders went a little wrong and on the Saturday night they ( at short notice) provided the choir with a fantastic BBQ outside in the grounds and put up with us singing till gone 1 in the morning!!The only this I can say and I do believe that a bit of money could be spent by the owners on upgrading the rooms... especially the shower in room 206!!! Sleep quality affected a bit by the residents of Oswestry making noise in the high street !But then there we go cant do much about that!

Room Tip: rooms at the back of the hotel are the quietest!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Visited the wynnstay for a 1 night stay. A warm welcome awaited from the friendly check in girl then off to our room. The thing that strikes you about the hotel is that everything is a little dated, could certainly do with a bit of a revamp. But thought it was clean generally.

By staying at the hotel you can use the health club which was good and the outdoor bar is nice although a little bit pricey.

Generally ok, but more 3* than 4* I'd say.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The hotel in general is a little dated in style and condition of decor, the bedroom particularly so. My room was a good size, with tea and coffee facilities, nice linens and large fluffy towels.
I stayed when it was very warm weather, the windows are sash windows and are either open full or not at all, and there was a small fan which did have a surprising amount of impact on the space.
The bathroom was where the lack of tlc was most noticeable, the shower hose the metal outer was coming off the inner tubing and the dial took some figuring out as it turns 3-2-1-0-9-8 but not through the rest of the numbers, however when I eventually got a suitable temperature it was consistent. The non slip coating on the floor of the bath had been put on at the opposite end of the bath to the shower and the taps on the bath and sink were difficult to turn (and I am not someone who lacks in manual dexterity). There were toiletries and a selection of sewing kits / nail files etc.
I ate in the four seasons taking advantage of their early bird menu, the home made miniature bread loaves were delicious, the rest of the food was rather mediocre although nicely presented. Service was excellent. I had a couple of drinks in the Wilsons bar where the waitress was very helpful and went out of her way to make what I wanted with a smile.
There is a bowling lawn at the back of the hotel in the courtyard area between the hotel and spa, and there were a couple of games while I was there which was pleasant to watch/.
The spa/ fitness area is nicely done, the pool is not a bad size and there is a good sized sauna, jacuzzi and steam room. The showers in the changing room are a little hit and miss but there were some thoughtful touches like bags to put wet swim gear in. Service again was very good with the receptionist being very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is right in the centre of Oswestry with plentiful free car parking at the rear of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We found a place where we could eat outside and where our friends' dog would be welcome. We were meeting up with friends from the far north of Scotland that we had not seen for many years. The weather was lovely, so it was an easy option to sit outside.
The menu was quite varied between English pub and Mediterranean food, but everything we chose was delicious. On a personal note, I would recommend the prawns with crusty bread and salad, and for dessert, the orange pannacotta - yum!!
Our waitress was charming, even mopping uo without being asked when the dog upset drinks on to the floor, and replacing the drinks free of charge. Drinks were reasonably priced, and the interior looks modern and stylish. Toilets were clean and modern. In fact, I was taken with the fancy taps that I left my camera there, only realising an hour later when we were about to leave. They had kept it for me, and were very pleasant and helpful.
We did not realise that this is part of the Wynnstay until we saw the bill.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oswestry
Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel
#6 of 6 in Oswestry
Sebastians Hotel
Sebastians Hotel
#4 of 6 in Oswestry

Been to Wynnstay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!