“Standard gone down”

Ranked #27 of 122 Restaurants in Oswestry
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Having visited the White Lion on numerous occasions over the last 12 months, we felt the standard had gone down. We went for my son's birthday who is a 20 year old, 6 foot plus lad and straight away he was asked for ID even though he looked far older than the barmaid herself - not a good start. The meal itself was just an average bar meal, nothing special. The last time we went to the White Lion was for Sunday lunch, again not good staff, I was waiting to pay by the bar, and the lad who served us rushed in and said in a loud voice behind the bar the people on table 7 have left without paying - how embarrassing this was. I don't think we will return or staff need lessons on been polite.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We went at lunchtime - varied Light Bite menu with different sandwiches, salads, etc., I had a Goat's Cheese and Cherry Tomato Omelette with salad and chunky chips which was very tasty and only £6.95. My husband had Braised Steak, mash and vegetables for £9.95 which was also lovely. The evening menu was more expensive but looked good. Only criticism is that the staff weren't too friendly. Lovely restaurant though.

1  Thank JME138
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We visited The White Lion for a romantic meal. I'd read the reviews so thought we'd give it a try. As we were visiting on a Friday evening, I booked a table after reading previous reviews about how busy it got. On the phone, the lady was pleasant & helpful. Upon arrival, it was quiet with around 4 other couples dining in the conservatory area & it didn't get any busier for the duration of our visit. You pick up a menu at the bar & are given directions to the table.

The menu is varied & there is also a specials board. Orders were taken quite quickly and we had starters of garlic mushrooms (delicious & very garlicky) and garlic, cheese & bacon ciabatta (large but needs more garlic & maybe a more flavourful cheese). My partner made a comment about his starter (the bread) being too big but upon arrival of his main, was glad the starter portion was large as the main was small! He ordered the Greek lamb shoulder from the specials board. I do think the lamb must have been a micro-lamb as the portion was tiny! It came with a lovely creamy mash & a gravy sauce which was tasty. I ordered the pan fried steak strips with in a mushroom, cream, wholegrain mustard & brandy sauce. It was delicious & I was pleased with the dish. The menu stated it came with chips but I changed this to rice. The rice was spiced with coconut & I imagine it will go beautifully with the curry option. We were far too full for puddings but there was a good choice & other peoples' puddings looked very tasty.

Staff were very friendly & helpful. Toilets were clean but uncomfortably warm as the heating was on.

The price was around £40 for 2 starters, 2 mains & 2 soft drinks each so not a bad price. I have certainly paid more for worse quality meals than this.

All in all, a lovely meal in pleasant surroundings. I'm sure we'll be back for another visit.

1  Thank kaytla
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We were looking for a venue for a lunchtime get-together with family members and have previously visited the other pub in the village. However, after reading promising reviews for The White Lion on tripadvisor, made a booking for Saturday 14th September.

We requested a table for 12 noon and on arrival, had to stand around in the car park waiting for the doors to be unlocked - not a great start.

We ordered our drinks (the cider was excellent) and went to our table, which was in the conservatory with a pleasing view across the garden and beyond.

The table was slightly shabby with fraying table mats. Menu choices sounded interesting and two of us opted for a 'special' of slow cooked lamb. Unfortunately, this could have done with longer cooking, as it was slightly tough. My mother requested some additonal bread to mop up the juices of her prawn dish and we were advised that there would be a charge for this. This was accepted but, as the bread was standard white baguette, it really should have been offered without charge. My father had a gammon steak which looked rather 'tired', possibly left to keep warm whilst other dishes were being prepared.

The puddings were generous in size, the creme brulee was very good.

Overall, the meal was disappointing and the service lack lustre. Such a shame as we really expected a much higher quality from what had been written by previous diners - perhaps just an 'off day'!

3  Thank Jane110280
Reviewed 2 September 2013

A group of us chose the Early Bird menu at 6pm on a Friday night. Spoilt for choice but settled on fishcake with parsley sauce for starters. This was lovely with chunks of fish inside served piping hot. The garlic mushrooms looked great too! For mains I had chicken in peppercorn sauce which was served with bowls of chips, and a bowl of new potatoes, leeks, cauliflower, carrots and peas. Very generous and could not fault anything! For dessert I had my favourite bread and butter pudding with marmalade glade and custard. This was very light and tasty. Excellent value for money as 2 courses are £12 and the dessert was £4.85. Would definitely go again. You may need to book if you want to eat in the conservatory. Service was very friendly and efficient. Loos very clean too which I always like to mention!!

3  Thank Ann E