“Thoroughly enjoyable”
Review of Lion Quays Spa

Lion Quays Spa
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Four of us had a spa day here in late July 2014. Included in our package was a mud roule and a session in the sun meadow as well as full use of the facilities and lunch.
It started with a guided tour if the facilities to give us an idea of the layout. We then used the 2 saunas and the snow room (just brilliant but felt colder each time we used it!) as well as the hydrotherapy pool. There is also a steam room but I found that too hot and it made me feel ill. We didn't use the pool or gym as we were there for a day of relaxation. And there are plenty of places to chill out -- lounges in a walled courtyard to catch the rays, a sunlit room and also a darkened room in which you can have a nap.
The sun meadow was bizarre but in a good way. It's like a sun bed but without the uv rays. I felt all warm and glowing afterwards.
The reason I am only giving 4 stars instead of 5 is because of the lunch. There was a lot of things but none was really to my taste. The spaghetti arabiata was far too hot to enjoy, too many chili seeds.
My friends and I had a brilliant time here, and the others said they would be definitely back for another day sometime. I would too, except that I live in Australia and I was just visiting.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I hate giving bad reviews, I really do, but The Lion Quays Spa isn't what it once was. Over the last few years my wife and I have accompanied friends here either as 'free' guests or we've paid to visit. On each previous occasion, it has felt like a great day out. Last week we were less than happy.

Several of the facilities here and there throughout the Spa were out of order: E.G. only one of the showers in the Spa shower area - with the cold tub - was working and that was forever turning itself off. The snow room had a man in it fixing the snow (and when he'd gone it was just icy - not too snowy), showers in the main pool were out of order and the jacuzzi there was also out of order; many of the lockers in the gents changing room were broken and therefore out of order too.

Little things, I know, but these small things add up.

Lunch was a disaster. On previous visits, the buffet had been delightful, with wide selections of protein to accompany a choice of salads (smoked salmon, cold meats etc.) and the hot dishes complemented each other. This time the only protein dish was sweet and sour chicken (tasty b.t.w.) - the other three 'hots' were a vegetarian penne pasta (drying up quickly), baked potatoes (none on the first visit to the buffet) and cauliflower cheese. There was no rice to accompany the chicken dish, but cold noodles could be had as they were part of the meagre salad bar. The only meat on the salad bar was the cheapest of cheap Danish Salami, dressed with sliced gherkin and pickled onion.

At £12.00 for guests (which we were, on this occasion) it was appalling. Had they said when we booked in that lunch was extra we would have chosen from the restaurant menu and had a far better lunch.

I suspect that the problem was caused by us visiting on a Monday - chef could well have just been clearing out the fridges, which would have narrowed his/her options.

So in conclusion (and in my opinion) the Spa has seen better days. Maintenance doesn't seem to be what it should be and there may well be cost cutting in the kitchen.

I know that I have had better days there.

David

2  Thank David S
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Had a spa day with treatments as a birthday present from my daughter .Arrived 9.30 am had a guided tour of the facilities.had a wonderful day enjoyed lunch treatments were excellent ,then stayed for an evening meal food was lovely thoroughly
Enjoyable day would certainly recommend it I fact have booked spa day for my two daughters for their birthdays . All the staff we met that day were friendly and professional

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Have returned to this spa several times and also recommended it to friends. Have always had a great experience and absolutely love the facilities which are superior to many other hotel spas - particularly the large hydropool which is wonderful!! The wide range of treatments are a delight and the three course lunch at Nico's, which is usually included with the spa packages, is most enjoyable. Last time a glass of fizz was also included in the package. All together a great day for couples, family members or friends - highly recommended.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My friend and I spent a truly relaxing and special day here at the Spa. The staff are very professional and the quality of the treatments and the facilities are excellent. I had one of the best body massages ever by one of the young professional members of staff and absolutely recommend the experience. Lion Quays really have managed to capture the whole spa experience with professionalism and quality.