“Lovely Sunday lunch”

Price range: US$14 - US$19
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had a great Sunday lunch here. Staff were very attentive and saw to the needs of our children. Lovely food and nice relaxing atmosphere.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

What a lovely pub - the staff were friendly and obliging and even the locals smiled and said hello! Our food was very good, and I, in particular, was thrilled that when requesting a rare fillet steak, got exactly what I wanted - cooked to perfection with just the right amount of beautiful chips and some salad. The menu didn’t mention mushrooms, tomatoes or onion rings, and I didn’t expect them!! What I got, served on a lovely wooden board, which keeps the meat warmer than a china plate, was extremely good. My husband had the Korean pork starter, and the lamb main course, both of which were equally as good as my steak. Delicious puds rounded off the meal, all washed down with a very pleasant bottle of wine.

A very good start to what turned out to be an exceptional visit to Shropshire/North Wales.

1  Thank Louise E
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I have frequented the Lime Kiln numerous times since it re-opened under the skilful hands of Ian and Elaine. The food is always fab quality and freshly prepared, with attention to detail (though be careful as they pre-sea salt the chips!). The warm cosy bar and dining area is very welcoming as is the range of gin behind the bar! I've even called in during lunchtime - had their delicious soup and bread. Sooooo lucky to have this on our doorstep!!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Perhaps as TripAdvisor had rated The Lime Kiln as the best restaurant in the Oswestry area our expectation were too high.

We arrived for an evening meal and first impressions were very good. The bistro and bar had a relaxed, buzzy atmosphere and we received a very warm welcome. The service from start to finish was impeccable with just the right amount of time between ordering, serving and courses to relax and chat with our friends.

We were slightly disappointed with the menu as it was quite different, and to our taste not as appealing, as the online sample menu . My husband and I both chose the goats cheese with warm beetroot salad which was tasty. For main course we had the fillet steak with chips and salad. It was nice but for £21.50 for an 8oz fillet steak, a few chips and a bit of salad it was very expensive. I think it should have been priced at no more than £20 and should have included half a tomato, a field mushroom and a couple of onion rings even if that means reducing the size of the steak slightly.
But now for our BIG, BIG complaint – nearly everything was served on horrible wooden boards. The serving staff struggled with the boards, having to bring them one at a time to our table, and it was nearly impossible to eat a steak meal off an antipasto board without getting chips and salad all over the table. My friend also had trouble eating fish and chips with mushy peas off a board.

Now for dessert… I had the panna cotta with lemoncello and blueberries and it was beautiful – no complaints there. My husband had peaches with almond crumble which he said was nice but very, very mean on the clotted cream. I am suspecting that they had nearly run out of clotted cream as it was a coffee spoon sized portion. If they were about to run out of cream they should have given diners the option of ice cream which my husband would have happily accepted.

We didn’t complain on the night as we were with staying with friends who spend a lot of time in the Oswestry area and we didn’t want to influence their possible future visits with our negative comments.

It was a good meal but it should have been great.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Had lunch this time and the standard was equal to the evening meal we had before. Super service and food. The food well presented, fresh and tasty. Plenty of choice sandwiches and a number of other cooked meals. Our selections were Hake & Homemade Chips and the other was Spanish Omelette with Rocket Salad. Delicious, also the Organic Cider was very refreshing.