“very impressed”

The Original Ball Restaurant
Ranked #53 of 122 Restaurants in Oswestry
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant Within The Original Ball Maesbury. Sourcing local organic ingredients prepared Simply and freshly. Typical British Menu with quality produce served in a relaxed environment.
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Hi, having grown up knowing this pub I was eager to find out how it had changed under the new management- I was very pleasantly surprised. The interior is done out in rustic reclaimed oak- my Favorite - together with a central log burning fire mad for a cosy and welcoming place to eat/drink.
I was dining with family and the hosts- Michelle and Mike could not have been more friendly , making us very welcome. I ( as did my Aunt) opt for the Chicken roulade with sweet chutney on a bed of mash..it was cooked to perfection and was lovely and hot on arrival at the table ( too often restaurants serve warm food- UCK- )
The whole evening was very pleasant and I will be returning in the near future.
Well done to a great pub/restaurant

2  Thank LULUBELL1962

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Let me start this review with the positives.

The Original Ball is decorated to a very high standard with oak beams, a wood burner and a cozy snug. It has a nice selection of beers and whilst the menu is only small, the food tastes great and is very good value for money with portion sizes that will definitely leave you full at the end.

All of this was let down by the service. When we walked to the bar, the woman behind it (I later learned it was the owner) was far more interested in talking to a couple of women that taking our drinks order, even an acknowledgment that we were there would have helped, but nothing until another member of staff turned up to serve us.

Then, something happened that in all of the years I have dined out, has never happened before. Not only did it take ages for someone to clear our plates once we had finished, but the woman doing so actually went home halfway through as her lift had arrived, so some of the dirty plates were left on the table to be cleared by a different member of staff.

The owners need to realize that good food on its own is not enough, and if customers experience bad service, they will not return!

5  Thank Twistedmoss
Reviewed 5 March 2014

A party of 9 of us visited The Original Ball for my 30th Birthday. The pub is lovely and cosy and the team are all very friendly. The food was all brilliant and we all enjoyed ourselves. We all said that we would go back again.

1  Thank wethreeweavers
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My partner and I heard about this newly refurbished pub through friends and decided to pay it a visit. It has been so tastefully decorated, we fell in love with the place. Oak beams, log burner, snug, all decorated to a high standard. We had a lovelly lunch and really enjoyed everything about the place. It has such a warm, cosy, welcoming atmosphere and the owners were very friendly and approachable. We have returned recently to the tapas evening and had a lovelly time, once again the food was excellent and atmosphere perfect. Looking forward to seeing the new patio area when that is finished. Well done to the new owners! Please Judge for yourselves.

1  Thank holchicwxm
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My sister booked this place for my brother-in-laws 70th birthday surprise event. Upon arrival the room that had been laid out for us all was freezing cold as some one (staff) had left the back door open and a wind was blowing through.

There were 17 of us. Admitted we were a large number but it took over an hour before the first meals arrived and a further 35mins until the last. Most of the vegetables were cold and very few chips were put on the plates. They promised more chips .... eventually two bowls arrived with chips that were nearly raw! In between time Charlie, aged 7 received his pizzas which were as hard as concrete and immediately rejected. One guest refused her meal arriving so late as nearly everyone had finished. Further chips arrived, only to find that they had been cooked on high heat to look cooked...but were still raw inside. The steak pie one person had was burnt and 75% inedible. Complaints were made and acknowledged. It was found that the chef had recently left and two young girls had been left to try and cope. Another girl who was working behind the bar and helping to serve became the spokesperson for the management...leaving her in a terrible position trying to apologise for the gross mistakes.

After the so called meal no one even cleared away the dirty dishes and plates... they were abandoned. Needless to say the 70th birthday did not go as planned!

Not once did anyone of the owners come and apologise for their mistakes. I had hoped that they would have the decency to have called my sister at least and explained. NOTHING.

This pub/restaurant needs to understand that customers are their bread and butter and at present they have not got a clue. I already know of at least one cancellation because of their total incompetence.

3  Thank MAZIAN
Mike J, Owner at The Original Ball Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your comments, we were unfortunately let down by our chef at last minute due to his personal problems. In hindsight we should have cancelled the booking but tried to improvise so as not to let you down, a lesson learned we think.
Now we have a brilliant new chef and we look forward to some great times ahead!