“Superb” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Old Coffee Pot
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Oswestry
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Soups
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Chirk, United Kingdom
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

After over hearing a glowing recommendation by a lady in the local bank, I visited this lovely coffee shop today.

What can I say, located conveniently opposite the park gates, I first of all thought this was a furniture shop when I saw sofas through the window, then realised this was a seating area!

The whole environment excudes relaxation, with sofas or traditional tables and chairs to accommodate your seating requirements. I was greated by a very pleasant young lady who gave me the menu to help me chose between all of the very scrumptious HOMEMADE cakes which were on the counter. She took my order of a cappuccino (small) and a jam and cream scone, my favourite.

Service was quick and soon my 'small' drink (a not so small mug!) arrived along with a well presented scone with jam, cream and butter.

Now normally I'm left a little disappointed when I order this when I'm out, but not today! The drink was the nicest I've tried. The scone, ohhh wow....it was warm! So many places serve them cold! The butter, lovely and soft and easy to spread. Gorgeous jam and the a little dish of whipped cream with a strawberry on top. It was absolutely delicious.

I'm very critical of food that I eat and only review places that I find exceptional....this little coffee shop is certainly exceptional. I would recommend this to any visitors or locals to Oswestry and I most certainly will be calling in again. A true gem in Oswestry.

• Visited July 2014

“Friendly and welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Visited this coffee shop many times now and it seems to get better and better.
The owner and staff are really nice and nothing is too much trouble.
A true little gem!!!!

“Friendly & Welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We have visited the Old Coffee Pots several times and love it. The Owner and staff are very friendly and accommodating. We have had bacon sandwiches and also some of the fantastic home made cakes. Lovely relaxing atmosphere, we will be regulars!!

• Visited June 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“An eclectic gem.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

What a gorgeous little find this was! In Shropshire for a few days, we were looking for somewhere cheap, yummy and warm on a rainy day. This place definitely delivered. A strange fusion of an almost greasy spoon seating arrangement near to the till and the most chintzy tea shop imaginable near to the front window, we immediately claimed 'The Snug' and settled in with a herbal tea, chosen from a good selection, an avocado, hummus and sweet chilli sandwich, and a baked potato. The braver options on the menu proved a dedication to breaking away from the standard vegetarian choices of cheese and egg. Presentation was pretty, if a little retro, which only added to the charm.

Three things bring this review down to a 4 star, rather than 5. Firstly, I was nearly put off staying by a faint, not unpleasant but unusual aroma as we entered. The friendly approach of the waiter persuaded me to give the place a chance, and the smell soon faded into insignificance (my partner tells me he couldn't really smell anything in the first place!). We never found the source of this and I doubt it was anything too unsavoury. Secondly, the teapot in which my herbal tea came was perhaps not quite as scrupulously clean as it could have been. It wasn't filthy, but the residue around the spout wasn't the most appetising thing and it probably could have been remedied with a spot more fairy liquid. The third thing was the chocolate cake we shared after our lovely and filling lunches. I came to regret sending my partner for dessert, as for some reason (neither of us is allergic) he returned with the dairy free chocolate cake which proved rather crumbly and dry. This was probably the still lacklustre ability of many places to cater for allergies, rather than a critique of the cakes at The Old Coffee Pot, but it was nontheless somewhat disappointing,

Enter with an open mind and this place is a gem. The staff are truly attentive and made us feel so at home that the places in which our meal was a little rough around the edges didn't seem to matter very much. We didn't feel rushed at all and would definitely return should we return to the area.

Visited June 2014
“We shall be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We are regular coffee drinkers in Oswestry and decided to come here today for the first time. Very welcoming and comfortable with choice of comfortable sofas or more traditional table and chairs. It had a very nice English feel about it. We opted for coffees and each had a bacon sandwich which was fresh and well presented, scrummy indeed and excellent value. The service was excellent and friendly. The menu looked great and also plenty of choice for vegetarians. The cakes looked amazing too. We shall certainly be back!

• Visited May 2014