“Good place to stay - don't be deceived by the grandiose looks”
Review of Haughton Hall

Haughton Hall
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Shifnal
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We (2 adults and 2 kids) had a great time at Haughton Hall. It's a very impressive building in a very quiet location but close enough to a small town not to be isolated. It's a 3 star hotel with fantastically large rooms (we had a 4 poster bed plus two sofa-beds for our kids, and there was still room!). We had a room in the main building, complete with noisy floorboards and a perfectly clean but basic bathroom. Breakfast was freshly cooked one morning and a buffet the next (they had a wedding on the Saturday night). Everyone was really friendly especially on Easter Sunday when we booked a special lunch with them - to find ours were the only children and so they did an Easter Egg hunt just for them. Overall, it was great to stay in a non-chain hotel and as long as you don't allow yourself to get influenced by the look of the place, it was very good value. One minor niggle - we had to pay 60p per towel to use the swimming pool.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 March 2011

We booked a two-night stay as a get-away weekend. We specifically wanted a place that was quiet and relaxing, which is how Haughton Hall promotes itself on its website. When we arrived, we were met by a wedding party and had to squeeze our way through to reception. Going for a relaxing drink in the lounge was impossible as it was taken over by the wedding guests including lots of children running around. We couldn't eat in the main dining room as it needed to be cleared up after the reception and the menu we had to choose from was in no way "extensive" as promoted on the website (a choice of 3 dishes for each course). Getting any sleep was pretty impossible with the noise of wedding guests going on until the early hours of the morning, plus children running around outside or bedroom door. Also, the bedroom and bathroom (Room 23) were freezing cold and the electric heater made little difference.

We like a wedding as much as the next person, but not one where we felt like gatecrashers! Had we known beforehand that there was a wedding that would take over the hotel, then we would have gone somwhere else. As it was, this experience totally ruined what should have been a quite and relaxing weekend break which is what we had been led to expect from the way Haughton Hall promotes itself. Clearly the fact that we were extra revenue for the hotel over and above the wedding party, was more important to them than the comfort of their guests. It's a very short sighted view as we won't be going there again and would never recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SueandColin
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Don't bother with this hotel.

I booked a four poster room as a special treat for my wife and assumed from the pictures on the hotel website and from the price of the room that it would be plush and sumptuous and would provide a romantic break. We were both also looking forward to using the leisure facilities as I was training for the London marathon and my wife was excited at the prospect of a relaxing early morning swim.

When we arrived the check in process was smooth and efficient but we were very disappointed because the gym and swimming pool were closed due to electrical malfunction. The receptionist told us we could travel into Telford to use the facilities at the Holiday Inn but this was of no consequence to us as we had no desire to travel into Telford. As the leisure facilities were one of the main reasons for booking the stay at the hotel I was surprised that an immediate discount on the room rate was not offered.

We were astonished to notice the miserable state of the room in which we had been placed, room 26. In the bedroom the wallpaper was peeling from the walls and the ceiling and the windows were very dirty both inside and out. There were cables and extension leads across the carpet and hanging behind the television. In the bathroom there was extensive mildew and mould on the ceiling. The ceiling light pull cord was black with dirt. There was not a mirror above the sink which made shaving difficult and there was not a bath. There were only towels and toiletries for one person.

Breakfast was also a sorry affair. We received poor and slow service, the table was not cleared completely and objects were left behind from the previous diners. We ordered tea and coffee and waited whilst other diners who had come to the dining room after us were served their tea and coffee. There was an absence of napkins and a milk jug from the table and so we had to collect the large milk jug from the cereal table every time we wished to make a cup of tea or coffee.

Had I paid less than half the price of the room I probably would not have felt so enraged but having paid over £100 for the room I was incredibly angry that the accommodation did not reflect the price paid for the stay in any way whatsoever. We have stayed in many hotels and would never normally pay that much for such a poor hotel room. For a room that costs over £100 one would expect to have a bath as a minimum and that it would be clean and free from mildew.

Upon checking out we decided it would be appropriate to show the state of the bedroom to the duty manager. She was extremely professional and courteous and agreed completely that the room did not reflect the price and offered a full refund.

She informed us that she did not have the authority to reimburse us the room rate but did say that the general manager would be working on the folliowing Monday and that she would organise an immediate complete refund for the room rate.

This unfortunately did not happen. We were refunded 52% of the room rate which would have been great but given that we were told we would receive a 100% refund again does not meet expectations. I was also emailed to tell me that I had been given the option not to stay and without charge which certainly did not happen.

Don't stay at this hotel, there are many others which are infinitely better. Old world charm should not mean dirty, full of mildew and prices which do not reflect the level of service. I think the management see it as though they are doing you some sort of favour giving you somewhere to sleep as opposed to giving you real value for money and providing excellent service.

Just don't bother.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sawbery
Reviewed 3 December 2010

I had occasion to stay at this hotel for 2 weeks at the end of November 2010 for a training course. The IT training company I was at are also located in a wing of the hotel very convenient.

Bedrooms
The fist week I was given room 40 and the second week room 11, both of these rooms are located in wings that were built in the 70's and 60's respectively and not the main house. The decor of the rooms in my opinion is quite dated especially the bathrooms, but this could just be my personal taste. The bathroom of each of the rooms only had a shower cubicle and no bath, for me this was not a problem but I am sure for some it will be an issue. During my stay the UK had a very cold snap, the heating in the hotel can be a bit hit and miss so each room is given an electric heater to supplement the central heating once this heater was plugged in the room was very warm.

During my stay I never ate in the restaurant as the menu's each night never took my fancy. I had all my meals from the bar menu, the choice was ok. The meals were average but nothing fantastic. I did find the bar area quite cold as the radiators were not hot enough to warm the large space. There are two open fires that could have been lit that would have provided more heat and would also give some more ambience to the area. Breakfast service was fine with a good choice of cereals, toast, cooked breakfast etc. On occasion it could be challenging to find a table that had not been used by others as they were not cleared and reset very timely.

On the whole it's not a bad place quite and clean but it could be far better if some money was spent on modernising the rooms and sorting out some basic issues such as the heating.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Now this is the place to stay if you are in Telford. Fantastic location (Gymn, pool, pitch and putt, sauna etc), Brilliant food and the most helpful staff i have ever seen in a hotel. Top marks to the whole team.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I have stayed in this hotel three times, and all of them were perfect. Quet place, beautiful surroundings, friendly staff, clean rooms, tasty food (especially HH Chilli) - what else can be wished? I am already looking forward for another course in H.O.S.T. or simply coming to stay together with my family. Best wishes to all the staff!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed in one of the classic rooms as part of a wedding at Haughton Hall and found it very pleasant and enjoyable. Staff were very friendly and helpful, Restaurant was a little slow on the orders and a lot of people nearly ended up late to the wedding/cancelled their lunch orders when the food took over 2 hours to deliver.

Access to the pool & leisure centre was an added bonus which was quite enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shifnal
Park House Hotel
Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge
Best Western Valley Hotel
Best Western Valley Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ironbridge

Been to Haughton Hall? Share your experiences!