On arrival, the building looked lovely, shame about the non-sympathetic extention but overall quite good outside. The grounds were tidy and reasonably well kept. The fishing spots looked peaceful and pleasant and the golf course had potential. The pool and gym facilities are good. Did not have time to sample the spa experience but i feel most independent hotels miss a trick here; they need to promote and encourage prior booking to their guests.
The public rooms - bar, dining etc are pretty good; light, airy, clean and well decorated. The bedrooms are spacious and are full of period features however, they seem to be ready for moving onwards and upwards. We were offered room 23 to begin with which was huge and with some tweaking could be a beautiful suite (move a wall towards the bathroom and add bunks or sofabed). As it was, the previous inhabitant had suffered for overindulging and the smell had not been eliminated. On request, we were immediately moved to room 24, not so big but still spacious and had a much more welcoming, cosy feel. Comfy bed, great to have shutters to exclude the light and cold. Breakfast was fine, dinner was average - more pub dining than hotel and I really do hate having to pay surchanges for my veggies etc. Service was brilliant but then it was extremely quiet. Lots of places within walking distance, in Shifnall, to eat all kinds of cuisine. Going back to that ugly extention; this is the party room which I have to say had no noise impact on our room at all. It's one of those places where you think, this has so much potential but they aren't quite there yet. I'd like to think that a repeat visit in 12-18 months time will show things have moved on but only time will tell.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the quiet beauty of rural Shropshire, dating from 1718, Haughton Hall has been decorated with timeless style and situated in 35 acres of gardens, woodlands and boasts a lake. An ideal wedding venue location, our relaxing accommodation, spacious public rooms, intimate bar and elegant restaurant create an atmosphere of refined comfort second to none. Haughton Hall enjoys a well stocked coarse fishing pool, and an outdoor tennis court. These are just a few more of the facilities available to you. A weekend break at Haughton Hall offers you the perfect retreat break and the ideal location to immerse yourself in the tranquil and peaceful surroundings of beautiful Shropshire. When staying as our guest at Haughton Hall, you can also enjoy full use of our Leisure Facilities free of charge. Our leisure club has a delightful Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna, Steam Room and Multi Gym. Open first thing in the morning it is perfect for a refreshing swim before you start your day or a great stress buster after a busy day. We look forward to welcoming you Nicola Mason - Hotel Manager ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Haughton Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Haughton Hall Shifnal
- Haughton Hall Hotel Shifnal
- Haughton Hall Shropshire, UK - Shifnal