“Quiet, comfy and perfectly sited for the 'V'!”
Review of Haughton Hall

Haughton Hall
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Shifnal
Warwickshire
“Quiet, comfy and perfectly sited for the 'V'!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had intended to stay for two nights but was informed the hotel was booked with 'V' guests for the following evening, and so we decided to give that a whirl whilst we were in the vicinity. Perfectly positioned!
Our room was spacious, had a super view, the beds were very comfy and it was exceptionally quiet. We made use of a treatment, though not the pool or gym through lack of time, although both looked rather tempting. The bar area was quite modern, fresh looking and well priced. Likewise, we had a very good, fixed price meal in the dining room in the evening served by very pleasant staff, as they were again, at breakfast. The grounds looked well cared for.
We were not here long enough to make full use of all that was on offer but I would say during our short stay the only thing that let the place down a little was the slight grubbiness of the furniture. A lot of the seats, i.e. sofa in our room, seats in dining room and leisure centre, bore marks/stains of one sort or another which was a little off putting and showed a lack of care/attention to detail on the housekeeping side.
Aside from that would recommend for a comfortable, well priced stay.

Room Tip: Room 11 was lovely and quiet and had a great view over the garden
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

my family and i stayed here for a short break, the children enjoyed the space to run around the extensive gardens,playing tennis and making full use of the pool.There was a good menu choice and the food was very good.The family room was spacious and well maintained and clean,with tea,coffee and biscuits provided,much to the childrens pleasure.I would definately book again and would recommend staying there to friends.

somerset
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

So I'm currently in my room writing my review. Checked in mid afternoon all was smooth lady on reception was polite and informative. Got to the room traditional and clean exactly what we expected. Other half used the gym and pool all clean and tidy. Booked in for dinner at 730 had drinks before in the bar Matt (duty manager) came in and offered the menu whilst we were enjoying our drinks took our order and invited us into the restaurant when our starters were ready. Food was tasty and plentiful would recommend dining at the hotel. Overall the stay was lovely with great service fantastic we will hopefully return soon :)

• Stayed August 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The longer I live, the more I am persuaded that independence of thought and action are the key to survival. Haughton Hall is independent and proud of it. This 18th century manor house sits proudly in its own land with a grand entrance but not a grand manner. LIke your favourite uncle, it is a bit shabby around some of the edges but if you want gleaming Italian marble and chic cool, this is not the place. Staffed by friendly locals who genuinely wanted to help ( I was apologised to by the barman because I had to wait for two minutes to order a drink). On a practical side, the food was excellent and cooked to order rather than part cooked and rushed through. The WiFi was excellent and the rooms clean. Chain hotels offer good, cheap rooms and I have nothing against them, but I can't fault somewhere that knows it has had to work hard to survive in today's climate. Go - you'll enjoy it.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the central part of the hotel (old block) 4 poster beds and quiet. Room 20 was large.
1 Thank One_Who_Gets_About
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed for two nights in the new wing with my wife, room was smaller than our previous stay, the shower tap was broken only noticed once in the shower, quite chilly.
The room was clean and staff very helpfull, the gym, swimming pool and the gardens are a bonus.

Room Tip: The local town is 10 minute walk from the hotel, ideal for restuarants and bars.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Cardiff
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with our 2 year old because it has a pool and loads of space to run around, oh and the room was 90 quid. Little one loved the pool and ran round outside loads. We ate in the bar and it was ok bar food. The room was massive, a 4 poster room with plenty of room to set up the cot. The pool was in another building a short walk (like 30 seconds) away. They had a small children's pool too. She loved it. They also had a sauna and steam room as well as a gym. All staff were great. Breakfast was top notch too. It's not the most modern of hotels but it does the job and the setting is great.
Thanks for a hassle free pleasant stay.

Stayed August 2014
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Booked this hotel explaining we were bringing our new born baby son as we had all been invited to attend a wedding reception . I phoned a week before to see if we could have the room early and reminding them we had a child .The lady on the phone was lovely and said " oh yes your bringing the Moses basket because he's newborn " so far all going well until we got to this unpleasant place.
First of all when we arrived all smart due to it being a wedding it was raining and to get inside in the hotel were steps . Members of staff were outside and no one offered to assist us with the pram or inform us of easier access just offered us a drink .....oh yes I'll have a sip well lifting this pram up the steps shall I so no welcome drink for us .
Once inside went to check in to get told we were in room 11 great I thought that will be on the ground floor . No it was 2 flights of steps up and miles away so the obvious question asked is there a lift ?? NO .
I was getting a bit annoyed now as we had told them in email and a phone call that we had a baby so frustrating that we hadn't got a ground floor room where we no for a fact other guests had which did not have family's what a mess .
I did not appreciate having to cart my baby up and down flights of steps throughout the wedding and lift a heavy pram up and down accidents could of happened and luckily they didn't . Also to my annoyance the receptionist offered to get us no help to the room so because of this we missed all the wedding photos and canapés etc having to safely get up and down stairs .
Later on .......
We were heading to the wedding breakfast which had more steps and my husband had gone to the toilet 3 members of staff were there again and no one offered to help so asked one of the other guests to help me who kindly did so . Then I was greeted by a very rude lady master of ceremony you cannot take that in there i was told . Excuse me I replied she said your pram is a fire hazard you cannot take it in. So I kindly said to the lady what do you mean we were invited to the wedding . She said can you take the top half of your pram off . This point no I cannot he is a newborn baby and you want me to put him on the floor he is too young for high chairs . She then just stared and said hmmmm looked in my pram to check my son was a tiny baby and went oh yes he is . So angry by this point I said to the woman you let me in or you can explain to the bride and groom why am not eating and where we are . Now the women master of ceremony decides to mess around telling me I would have to move tables yet we were according to the table plan sat next to my husbands family so not a chance in hell was I moving . A lovely young lad looked embarrassed by this lady probably thinking same as me wouldn't it be more of a trip hazard putting top half of pram on floor . So he did kindly showed me to my table only good thing that happened .
Finally back to the receptionist do you have baby changing facilities yes she replied outside in pool room . Was she having a laugh it was pouring with rain we were eating the wedding meal and they were telling me baby changing facilities were outside the other end of the hotel. Luckily she came back sorry love there is a changing table in the toilets right outside where we were. At this point I was very worried in who had trained all these lovely staff members because they obviously don't have a chuffing clue .
Now change my sons nappy to find all the bins said no nappies in here . Yes that's right changing tables but you carnt put your nappy in a bin . I was that annoyed I showed my husband who was fuming and put it in mens bin which did not say no nappys on .

If this hotel didn't no we were bringing a baby I could completely understand but they did and they were shocking . The worst experience of my life which should of been really good being the first time I had taken my son away . Get your staff some quality training in manners and how to go that extra mile .
And don't allow babys if you can not accommodate them properly and safely .

1 Thank Mary231187
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shifnal
Park House Hotel
Telford Hotel & Golf Resort
Buckatree Hall Hotel
Buckatree Hall Hotel
#4 of 21 in Telford

Been to Haughton Hall? Share your experiences!