“probably the worst breakfast/hotel we have experienced....”
Review of Naughty Nell's

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shifnal
Naughty Nell's
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Shifnal
Reviewed 27 August 2008

My husband and I booked in at Naughty Nells for one night. The worst bit has to be the breakfast - skip to the end of the review! We telephoned on the way to ask what time we could check in. Arriving just after 5.00pm,(the earliest time we were told), we found the place locked up - we were "greeted" I shall use the term loosely...by a lady with limited English (could have been Spanish). The place is certainly querky and full of character; our room was at the top of the tudor building, various corridors and staircases en-route with precarious cotton rugs covering worn carpets on the stairs. Our room had a beam which was 5ft low, which split the room in half. It was called the Teddy Bear Room - various teddies being painted on to the walls. The single beds were very creaky and the linen was yellowed and damp smelling. We had 1 bath and 2 hand towels, when I asked for another towel I was given a bath mat..... female Manuel said "ve is leow in ze toowls, zis is all ve has". Loo had a 28" pitch (I know that from husband and long haul travel). No swinging of cats in shower either.
The sound-proofing to the next door was non-existent - we could hear the occupant breathe not even snore. The windows were very old,low,draughty and single glazed so traffic noise could be heard all night - together with the church bell every half hour. The "Mongolian Buffet" was on offer downstairs which was probably very attractive if you were Mongolian, one look at the dirt on the kitchen floor would have put off the most hardy Mongolian though.......
We dined at the wine bar next door (Oddfellows)which was absolutely great in all respects. We thought we would risk a nightcap at "Naughties" before bed - there is a vast bar/disco downstairs with ultra violet lighting from the 80's - we were the only people in the room. Sleep was predictably ellusive but not helped in the knowledge that our main route downstairs was LOCKED OFF at night and our only means of exit was via an outside fire escape....this route was given to us verbally I did not see any written notice in the room. I am pretty sure that us two plus the person breathing next door were the only people in the place overnight.
BREAKFAST......
Now for the real fun and games!!! My husband was in a golf tournament and no breakfast was available at 7.15 so he unfortunately missed it.... I went into the appointed room at 8.15. On a low table there was a kettle and toaster. Bread (2 slices of white) in a basket - not bad if there had been a knife or a plate.... Another basket had sugar sachets and tea. No coffee. 5 individual packets of cereal were on offer ok if there had been bowls or spoons.....no fruit juice or yoghurts . A ramekin of open and dubious looking splodge of yellow spread. One individual raspberry jam if you wanted to suck it out. One opened carton of UHT milk. Oh and a couple of cups and tea spoons. If I had been tempted into eating I had a choice of two settees or a writing desk with one chair to sit at. The place was absolutely deserted - but open with lights on downstairs - I really think if there was anyone "on duty" they were hiding. With no appetite I looked at the comments in the visitors book.....the last one (a few weeks prior) started with "This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in...." And it WAS STILL IN THE BOOK TO READ!!!!! - obviously a problem with the room next to ours (Jacuzzi suite) as the Jac was reported by lots of guests as not working for months (thank goodness for that - the breathing was loud enough).

Un-believable stay!!
It was £55.00 for the night, we could only laugh. This type of accommodation would really appeal to foreign tourists as it is so steeped in history - please do not be tempted to book it ! Go to a travel lodge and do Stratford instead.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Naughty Nell's

Reviewed 16 March 2008

As I write this review, I am still waiting for somebody to call me back after 10 phone calls to the hotel by myself, and probably as many by the website through which I booked, who have now suspended Naughty Nells from their site. The reason for this is that they charged me twice for my stay, once whilst I was there, and then they contacted the booking agent for my card number and charged me again. I got hold of the manager once, who was very rude to me, and all other attempts to reach them have either fallen to an answerphone, or a staff member who speaks very little English. Consequently, I am now 18 days on and still no refund. I would fully recommend that anybody staying here should UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES give any card details either to the hotel or to a third party. I am absolutely disgusted. A mistake, I can accept, but the fact that I am going to have to go as far as the small claims court for £55 absolutely appalls me. The man is rude and arrogant and does not deserve your business.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2007

Earlier this year I booked for four of us, my wife, myself, my niece and her mother to stay at Naughty Nell's Curiosity Cottage for just one night on the 24th March as we were going out in Shifnal, after meeting my son and his wife who live in the village, to celebrate my niece's birthday. I booked the cottage as I thought that this would give a little bit of extra freedom to do as we liked before going out for the evening. On the Tuesday before I rang up to confirm and also to ask if we could book in earlier than the stated three o'clock and was told that everything was in order and that there would be no problem booking in early. Upon arriving at around 12-30 the place was locked up and no-one was around, so I called the number and spoke to the manager who said that he would be there in a few minutes. He arrived a few minutes later, opened up to let me in and went to find the keys for the cottage. When he returned he told me that somehow the cottage had been double booked and was now occupied for six nights by some Italians. He then said that we could have two rooms in Naughty Nell's for free to compensate, which I accepted. The rooms were OK except that there were no wardrobes or draws to hang or store any clothes, some of the crockery was chipped, the tea /coffee/sugar sachets looked as if they had been in the room for months and the four plug electric socket adaptor was not properly attached to the wall. The next morning we went down for breakfast which turned out to be self-service. Most of the food was smothered in oil and unappetising, the toast was cold, there were no preserves and when my wife went to select sone cereal, found that they were out of date. There were two staff in the kitchen who seemed to be combining cooking with cleaning who, when asked if we could speak to the manager, replied that he was not up yet. As we had been given the rooms for free we decided not to bother waiting for the manager, handed in the keys and left. If I was to recommend anywhere to stay in Shifnal then this would come at the bottom of my list and I would tell people to stay at The Gallery next door.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank brdessex
Reviewed 4 February 2007

We didn't stay in the hotel we stayed in their Curiosity Cottage across the road, nearly all the websites state that the cottage has a jacuzzi, desk, lamp, security chain, iron and ironing board, unfortunately none of these things are in the cottage!
Very, Very disappointed that there wasn't a jacuzzi, that was one of the reasons we booked it thought it would be a nice touch.
The cottage could be lovely, but electric wires are sticking out of the ceilling, no shelves in the bathroom, all very unfinished, and hard to believe but there wasn't one single mirror in the place, not one!!
Advertised as half board the only thing on offer is a Mongolian meal, raw meats and veg you choose and put in a dish give a guy to cook then you have rice and noodles to put with it. Ok on the first night but second night was the same, so it is quite boring.
Turned up twice for breakfast, no one was expecting us so had to wait for half an hour for someone to cook it, it was ok but just a fry up with toast, nothing else, am used to Jams etc and fruit and bakeries, so quite boring.
The staff were lovely and very pleasant but SO understaffed I felt sorry for them.
Could be nice but definitely needs taking in hand, but to be fair I understand it has recently changed hands so fingers crossed things will improve.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank travellerNotts
Reviewed 19 December 2006

Having been asked by the manager to arrive anytime after 12 noon we arrived at 3.30and tried the door bell, no reply even with enthusiastic knocking there was no response, so messages were left on ansaphone to return our call.

At 5pm people appeared, but not the manager, we were advised the manager was worse for wear the night before and had had a statue fall on his foot therefore he was not around.

We were shown to the room which was meant to be the Nells room with jacuzzi, we were shown and told our room was the Star room with jacuzzi, alas it was star room with bath-jacuzzi didnt work, neither did the heating! There was insufficient room to walk around bed, no storage anywhere.

We had booked dinner and was told the DJ was also the cook, umm interesting when we came down for dinner we were told join the queue and table there is yours, it was set with chopsticks and the food was Mongolian, no alternative!! Mongolian food from my limited information is very different to what was on offer. Actually it was more of a resemblence to chinese, so we went out!!

There was what appeared to be blood on the duvet, no cover but the sheets were clean, we were asked to pay in advance, no receipt given and they had no change!

Noone was sure when breakfast was to be served but we were promised a note under the door, no note, the breakfast was served by a nice lady who was also cleaning at same time, and she couldnt help regarding enquiries! She went to see manager but he didnt want to come downstairs was impression we were given. there was rubbish all over the place food on the floor, ugh!

Wouldnt go there again, it was a lovely building with oodles of character, other residents had similar moans, but we all laughed its Christmas time!!

Forget Mongolian food, invest in the hotel and get a manager of quality in place and it will be worth visiting again.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Grosvenorthehound
Reviewed 23 November 2006

12 of us stayed at naughty nells for my husbands 30th birhday.we stayed there 18th nov 06 for one nite and it was truley amazin.the rooms are out of this world.very quirky and each with a different theme.we stayed in the king charles room which has a big 4 poster bed.old oak beams every where with low ceilings.the room was very big with an amazin bathroom with jaccuzzi bath underneath a sky light.we absolutely loved our stay there.theres six rooms altogether,the king charles room,nells jaccuzzi room,the moon room,the heart room,the teddybears room and the star room.they are all furnished lovely.it is an amazin place.down stairs in a mongolain bbq cooked infront of you why you wait.theres a bar there and next door a niteclub.the staff are brilliant especially the new manager who made us all feel very special and welcome.the food is amazin too,a big buffet style english breakfast too in the morning.very good value for money.we all absolutely adored our stay there.if your looking for something different with good food an brilliant accomadation you should really check naughty nells out.its wonderfullwe would highly recommend this place!!!thanx mr and mrs perry

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank tazzy12345
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shifnal
Park House Hotel
Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge
The Mount Hotel
The Mount Hotel
#3 of 21 in Wolverhampton

Been to Naughty Nell's? Share your experiences!