“Nice Building, Shame about the service”
Review of Naughty Nell's

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shifnal
Naughty Nell's
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Shifnal
kent
“Nice Building, Shame about the service”
Reviewed 1 April 2009

My son was staying in a nearby village, so I thought I would Visit him. As the local village hotel was fully booked my partner and I thought we would try Naughty Nells at Shifnal. Arriving at 9.30 at night we were told we were too late for the hotel food, so we went to the local chippy, we sat in the street eating our food. Went back to Nells to go to bed, room was smaller then my daughters box room at home with a double bed in it, the jacuzzi was surposed to work but didn't, had to stand in the bath to see out the window. I know the building is old but the walls could be more sound proof, heard every word and fart from the guests in the next room. The bed in the Star room felt as if it was on a tilt all night,had to keep pulling my self back, so didnt get a good nights sleep. Woke up at 7.00 the next morning, Partner wanted to go outside for a cigarette, but couldnt as everyone was locked in and there was no one around to ask to unlock the doors, if he was the sort of person to steal things it could have been easily done from here, there was just no one about , as for breakfast, well we didnt bother nor did the guests in the next room, because their was just no one around to supply it. Getting back to the rooms,why is there a spy hole in every guest room, looking at the bed, we covered ours up while we were there. I know its called Naughty Nells, but to spy on guests while their in their beds is taking it a bit far. coffee and tea was supplied but there was no kettle in the room to make one and the TV work but picture was to fuzzy to watch, it had a aerial lead connected to it but it makes me wonder if there was an aerial connected to the lead. Wouldn't want to go bacck only if I was so depressed I wanted a good Laugh.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

staffordshire
Reviewed 29 October 2008

stay at nells before was ok stop there last week and well its now under new owners, it was great loved the food and how it was cooked (right in front of you) the room was good like how each one has some think different about it would advise people to stay here

Stayed October 2008
Manchester
Reviewed 4 September 2008

We booked here thinking we would have a lovely time.
It was my birthday the day after booking in and was looking forward to my cooked breakfast. It didn't exist.!!!!!
There was no-one about the place: just walking about aimlessly . All we could see that was left out for us (i think) was some small boxes of cereals , no bread. My husband had to go into the kitchen to get some milk!!!
We ate these hungrily and then another person who stayed the night came down looking for her breakfast.
The Mongolian meal wasn't that brilliant. I don't think they put the food back into the fridge neither.. It was left out the all night .
The four poster bed was very uncomfortable and also the pillows.
My husband had to sleep in the single bed all night..
We had visited Ironbridge that day and then to come here was the ultimate joke.. The building was impressive but it is a crying shame about the service.. The people shouldn't be running this place. I wonder what the Abta people would think of the place..

• Liked — the building
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Shifnal hotels

Burton Upon Trent
Reviewed 27 August 2008

My husband and I booked in at Naughty Nells for one night. The worst bit has to be the breakfast - skip to the end of the review! We telephoned on the way to ask what time we could check in. Arriving just after 5.00pm,(the earliest time we were told), we found the place locked up - we were "greeted" I shall use the term loosely...by a lady with limited English (could have been Spanish). The place is certainly querky and full of character; our room was at the top of the tudor building, various corridors and staircases en-route with precarious cotton rugs covering worn carpets on the stairs. Our room had a beam which was 5ft low, which split the room in half. It was called the Teddy Bear Room - various teddies being painted on to the walls. The single beds were very creaky and the linen was yellowed and damp smelling. We had 1 bath and 2 hand towels, when I asked for another towel I was given a bath mat..... female Manuel said "ve is leow in ze toowls, zis is all ve has". Loo had a 28" pitch (I know that from husband and long haul travel). No swinging of cats in shower either.
The sound-proofing to the next door was non-existent - we could hear the occupant breathe not even snore. The windows were very old,low,draughty and single glazed so traffic noise could be heard all night - together with the church bell every half hour. The "Mongolian Buffet" was on offer downstairs which was probably very attractive if you were Mongolian, one look at the dirt on the kitchen floor would have put off the most hardy Mongolian though.......
We dined at the wine bar next door (Oddfellows)which was absolutely great in all respects. We thought we would risk a nightcap at "Naughties" before bed - there is a vast bar/disco downstairs with ultra violet lighting from the 80's - we were the only people in the room. Sleep was predictably ellusive but not helped in the knowledge that our main route downstairs was LOCKED OFF at night and our only means of exit was via an outside fire escape....this route was given to us verbally I did not see any written notice in the room. I am pretty sure that us two plus the person breathing next door were the only people in the place overnight.
BREAKFAST......
Now for the real fun and games!!! My husband was in a golf tournament and no breakfast was available at 7.15 so he unfortunately missed it.... I went into the appointed room at 8.15. On a low table there was a kettle and toaster. Bread (2 slices of white) in a basket - not bad if there had been a knife or a plate.... Another basket had sugar sachets and tea. No coffee. 5 individual packets of cereal were on offer ok if there had been bowls or spoons.....no fruit juice or yoghurts . A ramekin of open and dubious looking splodge of yellow spread. One individual raspberry jam if you wanted to suck it out. One opened carton of UHT milk. Oh and a couple of cups and tea spoons. If I had been tempted into eating I had a choice of two settees or a writing desk with one chair to sit at. The place was absolutely deserted - but open with lights on downstairs - I really think if there was anyone "on duty" they were hiding. With no appetite I looked at the comments in the visitors book.....the last one (a few weeks prior) started with "This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in...." And it WAS STILL IN THE BOOK TO READ!!!!! - obviously a problem with the room next to ours (Jacuzzi suite) as the Jac was reported by lots of guests as not working for months (thank goodness for that - the breathing was loud enough).

Un-believable stay!!
It was £55.00 for the night, we could only laugh. This type of accommodation would really appeal to foreign tourists as it is so steeped in history - please do not be tempted to book it ! Go to a travel lodge and do Stratford instead.

• Liked — It was so bad we had to laugh
  • Disliked — Too many things to mention (see review)
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Leicester
Reviewed 16 March 2008

As I write this review, I am still waiting for somebody to call me back after 10 phone calls to the hotel by myself, and probably as many by the website through which I booked, who have now suspended Naughty Nells from their site. The reason for this is that they charged me twice for my stay, once whilst I was there, and then they contacted the booking agent for my card number and charged me again. I got hold of the manager once, who was very rude to me, and all other attempts to reach them have either fallen to an answerphone, or a staff member who speaks very little English. Consequently, I am now 18 days on and still no refund. I would fully recommend that anybody staying here should UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES give any card details either to the hotel or to a third party. I am absolutely disgusted. A mistake, I can accept, but the fact that I am going to have to go as far as the small claims court for £55 absolutely appalls me. The man is rude and arrogant and does not deserve your business.

• Liked — The Mongolian Barbecue
  • Disliked — The fact that I was charged twice and never refunded so I overpaid £55
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Essex
Reviewed 29 March 2007

Earlier this year I booked for four of us, my wife, myself, my niece and her mother to stay at Naughty Nell's Curiosity Cottage for just one night on the 24th March as we were going out in Shifnal, after meeting my son and his wife who live in the village, to celebrate my niece's birthday. I booked the cottage as I thought that this would give a little bit of extra freedom to do as we liked before going out for the evening. On the Tuesday before I rang up to confirm and also to ask if we could book in earlier than the stated three o'clock and was told that everything was in order and that there would be no problem booking in early. Upon arriving at around 12-30 the place was locked up and no-one was around, so I called the number and spoke to the manager who said that he would be there in a few minutes. He arrived a few minutes later, opened up to let me in and went to find the keys for the cottage. When he returned he told me that somehow the cottage had been double booked and was now occupied for six nights by some Italians. He then said that we could have two rooms in Naughty Nell's for free to compensate, which I accepted. The rooms were OK except that there were no wardrobes or draws to hang or store any clothes, some of the crockery was chipped, the tea /coffee/sugar sachets looked as if they had been in the room for months and the four plug electric socket adaptor was not properly attached to the wall. The next morning we went down for breakfast which turned out to be self-service. Most of the food was smothered in oil and unappetising, the toast was cold, there were no preserves and when my wife went to select sone cereal, found that they were out of date. There were two staff in the kitchen who seemed to be combining cooking with cleaning who, when asked if we could speak to the manager, replied that he was not up yet. As we had been given the rooms for free we decided not to bother waiting for the manager, handed in the keys and left. If I was to recommend anywhere to stay in Shifnal then this would come at the bottom of my list and I would tell people to stay at The Gallery next door.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank brdessex
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 4 February 2007

We didn't stay in the hotel we stayed in their Curiosity Cottage across the road, nearly all the websites state that the cottage has a jacuzzi, desk, lamp, security chain, iron and ironing board, unfortunately none of these things are in the cottage!
Very, Very disappointed that there wasn't a jacuzzi, that was one of the reasons we booked it thought it would be a nice touch.
The cottage could be lovely, but electric wires are sticking out of the ceilling, no shelves in the bathroom, all very unfinished, and hard to believe but there wasn't one single mirror in the place, not one!!
Advertised as half board the only thing on offer is a Mongolian meal, raw meats and veg you choose and put in a dish give a guy to cook then you have rice and noodles to put with it. Ok on the first night but second night was the same, so it is quite boring.
Turned up twice for breakfast, no one was expecting us so had to wait for half an hour for someone to cook it, it was ok but just a fry up with toast, nothing else, am used to Jams etc and fruit and bakeries, so quite boring.
The staff were lovely and very pleasant but SO understaffed I felt sorry for them.
Could be nice but definitely needs taking in hand, but to be fair I understand it has recently changed hands so fingers crossed things will improve.

• Liked — The cottage was quiet at night better than being in a noisy hotel
  • Disliked — There is no jacuzzi! They do advertise the cottage as having one
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank travellerNotts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shifnal
Park House Hotel
#2 of 5 in Shifnal
Church Farm B&B
Church Farm B&B
#1 of 5 in Shifnal

Been to Naughty Nell's? Share your experiences!